Estimating Programs

Has anyone used the following programs ?

Buildsoft "Cubit"

Cost X

Eclipse

Looking at new software for work, the demonstrations are ok but you never really know until you start using them, so a bit feedback would be helpful.

Chomp

My lecturer at UTS was Jackie Fogg, the designer of Buildsoft. So I am biased.

At the time, it was the only package which replicated a BOQ as it was designed by builders who just happened to hold computer science degrees.

Now most packages are based on this format.

Is your brief only to get an estimating package or something which integrates ordering, cost accounting, reporting etc as well?

Other packages include databuild, cordells etc. Television could help out here.

A number of my construction clients use various estimation and takeoff software packages.

Most popular are buildsoft, sage timberline and benchmark

Depends on your industry as there are industry specific ones too. Eg cavsoft for plumbing/mech ventilation

I support Cost X and Constructor in an IT capacity. They both seem kinda crap to me :p

A couple use Timberline, seems ok, but not sure if thats the kinda thing you're after?

Has anyone used the following programs ?

Buildsoft "Cubit"

Cost X

Eclipse

Looking at new software for work, the demonstrations are ok but you never really know until you start using them, so a bit feedback would be helpful.

Chomp

I reckon if you ask for a 2 week trial license they would let you have a run, wouldn't they?

I used CostX at uni and on-screen takeoff is handy and saves doubling up. The ability to link each measurement to each element of the plan was great, especially for someone who is just learning and prone to missing things. Easy way to show the boss your exact takeoff and for them to point out any errors. I've looked at Cubit a bit and like that it allows you to essentially draw a model off of the plans, should help with silly mistakes.

At work, I do my quantity take-offs with Bluebeam Revu and then transfer those quantities in to Buildsoft's "Global Estimating System" (essentially just a layered excel spreadsheet). I'd much prefer to use Cubit or CostX, but I can only suggest change, not force it.

My company doesn't use any particularly advanced software, I believe mainly due to the Senior guys being just that... senior. Why change from the system that works for them? They have no significant driver for them at this stage and so carry on with rulers and paper. They still win plenty of work without worrying about dealing with the frustration of implementing new software.

I think there's also some reservations around Cubit because it's not backwards compatible with Buildsoft's older filing system? So if you get provided with a BOQ from a QS, and it's in an EOX format, it won't transfer (or gets muddled) when trying to load it in Cubit?

I know that in my portion of the industry, BIM takeoff isn't particularly relevant at the moment so I don't include that as a selling point. Developers aren't willing to give Consultants enough time/money to develop accurate BIM models in the first place, so trying to do a takeoff from second rate information = bad idea.

With regards to Scott's comments about further applications (integrating it in to ordering, project accounting etc.) as you can probably gather, there's nothing like that around here. Just print out the bill, hand it to the CA and let them reshuffle it as they wish.

So there's my general response, as clear as mud.

If you do get a free trial or make a decision, let us know what you think?

My lecturer at UTS was Jackie Fogg, the designer of Buildsoft. So I am biased.

At the time, it was the only package which replicated a BOQ as it was designed by builders who just happened to hold computer science degrees.

Now most packages are based on this format.

Is your brief only to get an estimating package or something which integrates ordering, cost accounting, reporting etc as well?

Other packages include databuild, cordells etc. Television could help out here.

They want something that integrates into Cheops which I think they all do ?

I used the Buildsoft package at my last place, quite simplistic but way better than excel which is what we are using now !

I reckon if you ask for a 2 week trial license they would let you have a run, wouldn't they?

I used CostX at uni and on-screen takeoff is handy and saves doubling up. The ability to link each measurement to each element of the plan was great, especially for someone who is just learning and prone to missing things. Easy way to show the boss your exact takeoff and for them to point out any errors. I've looked at Cubit a bit and like that it allows you to essentially draw a model off of the plans, should help with silly mistakes.

At work, I do my quantity take-offs with Bluebeam Revu and then transfer those quantities in to Buildsoft's "Global Estimating System" (essentially just a layered excel spreadsheet). I'd much prefer to use Cubit or CostX, but I can only suggest change, not force it.

My company doesn't use any particularly advanced software, I believe mainly due to the Senior guys being just that... senior. Why change from the system that works for them? They have no significant driver for them at this stage and so carry on with rulers and paper. They still win plenty of work without worrying about dealing with the frustration of implementing new software.

I think there's also some reservations around Cubit because it's not backwards compatible with Buildsoft's older filing system? So if you get provided with a BOQ from a QS, and it's in an EOX format, it won't transfer (or gets muddled) when trying to load it in Cubit?

I know that in my portion of the industry, BIM takeoff isn't particularly relevant at the moment so I don't include that as a selling point. Developers aren't willing to give Consultants enough time/money to develop accurate BIM models in the first place, so trying to do a takeoff from second rate information = bad idea.

With regards to Scott's comments about further applications (integrating it in to ordering, project accounting etc.) as you can probably gather, there's nothing like that around here. Just print out the bill, hand it to the CA and let them reshuffle it as they wish.

So there's my general response, as clear as mud.

If you do get a free trial or make a decision, let us know what you think?

ok thanks for the response, yes clear as mud which is what I am getting from each company, sort of anyway.

To be honest they all look very similar, Cubit, Costx, Eclipse, even down to the measuring system they use. They all use the same plan to demonstrate it ! It might just come down to price, see what the bosses say. A trial may help though, I might suggest this if they flag the whole thing.

I support Cost X and Constructor in an IT capacity. They both seem kinda crap to me :p

A couple use Timberline, seems ok, but not sure if thats the kinda thing you're after?

Yes I am with TV, what don't you like about them anything I should be aware of ?

Back