electrical problem

hi guys,

recently the lights have started flickering in my house every so often, then computer screen flickers as well and the tv turns off then back on.

i recently had a smart meter installed, thought it could be that, but it was checked today and they say nothing wrong.

what else could it be? next step is to get an electrician in

thanks

We had a similar one recently. Turned out to be the connection coming into the house. The electrical company had to fix it.

If it happens more with high winds, I'd get it checked out.

My electrician BIL suggested that these faults are usually only found when the house catches fire! :eek:

It does sound like an issue on the supply side. probably a loose connector or terminal. it will require your electrical supplier to check it out.

thanks guys, turns out it was a problem from up the street, a few neighbours had the same issue, a call to sp aus net and they came out a second time to fix the issue

hi guys,

recently the lights have started flickering in my house every so often, then computer screen flickers as well and the tv turns off then back on...

Get a UPS (un-interruptable power supply) for your computer. The last thing you want is losing a night's work in a power-blink. :(

Cheap UPS are $200 provide 5-10 minutes of backup power. However get the best you can afford rather than the cheapest because good UPS units filter the power for spikes and surges, adjust for over- and under-voltage and provide longer battery time.

If you buy a used UPS, assume the lead-acid battery will be dead and require replacing -- the batteries only last 3 to 5 years. They are not cheap so allow for this in the purchase price. (The battery costs often make buying used UPS uneconomical especially for cheap models.)

Get a UPS (un-interruptable power supply) for your computer. The last thing you want is losing a night's work in a power-blink. :(

Cheap UPS are $200 provide 5-10 minutes of backup power. However get the best you can afford rather than the cheapest because good UPS units filter the power for spikes and surges, adjust for over- and under-voltage and provide longer battery time.

If you buy a used UPS, assume the lead-acid battery will be dead and require replacing -- the batteries only last 3 to 5 years. They are not cheap so allow for this in the purchase price. (The battery costs often make buying used UPS uneconomical especially for cheap models.)

never knew such a device existed

I will look into it because your right, the last thing I want is to lose a nights work

Thanks for the tip

We went to a laptop instead - happily keeps letting you do work for 2-3 hours without mains.... :) .... although the modem/router drops off, so no internet on the main connection....

The Y-man

Back