Divorce lawyer wanted ...

Looking for a good divorce lawyer ... not one who is out to stir things up and prolong the case just to get more money ... i have a friend who had one like that and his divorce was a nightmare !

Anyone who has gone through the process got a good lawyer in Melbourne to recommend ?

how rational are both parties? I just went through a split with my fiancee and sold a house and what not.

We basically decided what was fair between us i am getting my lawyer to draw it up, we didn't see a point in the lawyer getting involved in the negotiation he is just there to make sure it all gets sorted and our decision becomes final.

Yeah, I wish I am as lucky as you. I know my wife and she is a very materialistic and cunning woman.

I doubt very much she will settle for anything close to 50-50 and will most likely squeeze me for every cent I have.

Hence, I need a good family law lawyer ...

I've just had a couple of clients go through a divorce - it all started well and I actually mediated the initial settlement. However, they could not agree on two particular items, so decided to call in the lawyers. $50,000 later, they have still not decided on those two items and have spent more than what they were fighting over.

If you can use a mediation centre, and there are a few around if you google them, it will be a much better way forward. If you're past, that, maybe you should try another forum for recommendations (such as a family or baby forum?)

Best of luck!

I would go visit a family lawyer and be prepared with details of all of your assets and income that needs to be divided.

Based on his advice, make a proposal to your wife, if she disagrees, advise her to consult a lawyer and make a counter offer. Maybe you can meet in the middle somewhere to avoid the lawyers getting involved.

It can all be done without lawyers if you can agree, you just need to fill out the consent orders form from the family law courts website. This needs to be submitted and will be assessed to make sure it's fair.

Have you tried to sort it out with your wife yourselves?

Surely worth a try before calling in the lawyers with the associated fees.

When my brother divorced many years ago, he and his wife sat down and worked out an asset split they were both happy with. Saved a fortune in fees.
Marg

Yeah, I wish I am as lucky as you. I know my wife and she is a very materialistic and cunning woman.

I doubt very much she will settle for anything close to 50-50 and will most likely squeeze me for every cent I have.

Hence, I need a good family law lawyer ...

she is only entitled to what she is legally entitled to.

perhaps find out from a lawyer - or mediation centre - what she is legally entitled to, get it in writing and work from there.

it used to be 50/50 if there are only two of you. if there are children involved then the spilt changes - but that depends on the number, dependency and age of the children.

i am not sure if superannuation is included in the calcs. it used to be 10 years ago, then they took it out - but not sure if it's been put back in again.

but, find out your facts, get them in writing, present them in a logical and rational manner in writing, make your offer and then let her stew on it for a while. do everything you can to keep your emotions out of the negotiations, otherwise you give you power away and she will push every button you have. you might seethe and get frustrated on the inside, but never show it.

try not to get the lawyer negotiating for you - just use them for "law" stuff. once you have your "law" stuff then use a mediator.

Bennido, can be a pretty challenging time too, if you were my brother I would want you to know you had support.

Are you aware of mensline?

http://www.menslineaus.org.au/

More specifically a link to sites for mediation services:

http://www.i-dont.com.au/statelisting.aspx?activity=5&state=3

FAQ

http://www.menslineaus.org.au/Faq.aspx

Part of:
Separation and divorce
Where can I get legal advice?
Community Legal Centres and legal help-lines offer free legal advice. Legal Aid in your state may also be able to offer free advice. Law associations can usually refer you to a solicitor in your area. Search our services directory for legal services close to where you live. The Family Relationships Advice Line (1800 050 321) also provides legal referrals Australia-wide.

What an earlier poster said about mediation through the Courts, I heard specifics just a few days ago, was trying to find the contact, I think it was through this:

http://www.liv.asn.au/public/legalinfo/family/family-Divorce.html

(That is divorce/lawyer stuff but refers also to):

http://www.mediation.com.au/family_dispute_resolution.html

Family Dispute ResolutionFamily Dispute Resolution

(Mediation & Conciliation)

This program is for persons or parties in conflict over issues such as:

•Separation;
•Arrangements for children, including parenting (post-separation); and
•Division of property
•Future of Relationship

The program includes same-sex persons and domestic partners (de facto couples).

A bi-cultural Chinese speaking practitioner is available for family dispute resolution.

Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) has a number of distinct features:

•It is voluntary. No one can be made to use family dispute resolution if they don’t want to as it can only work if all parties are willing and able to negotiate freely.

•It is confidential (within limits). The practitioners take an oath of secrecy. Furthermore, evidence cannot be admitted in legal proceedings.(exceptions apply)

•It is neutral and impartial. The practitioners assist the parties to negotiate and do not take sides. Family Dispute Resolution practitioners do not make decisions in relation to the matters in dispute.

•Advice (aside from legal advice) may be offered where appropriate.

•It is designed to empower the parties to make decisions and relies on direct communication. People work at their own pace, exploring options and are encouraged to consider both the other’s needs and the needs of the children.

•The agreements reached can be as comprehensive or as a brief as the parties desire. Agreements made are not legally binding but steps can be taken to make them so. This involves drawing up Consent Orders. A solicitor may be seen to arrange this.

The lawyer I heard talking was encouraging couples to keep away from the Court and lawyers :) he felt this was less of financial strain, and personal stress upon couples, it was interesting and helpful.

lawyers are usually disingenuous & self interested

Our Obsession has posted some good links (again!).

Mate, divorce is never easy and it destroys a lot of perfectly nice people. Men do not cope as well as women and male suicide after divorce is criminally high. Make use of those links from Our Obsession! There are qualified people out there who can help you cope. Most of all, regardless of fault, its crucial that your kids are left as undamaged as possible from your separation.

Lawyers are usually disingenuous (another word for dishonest!) and seldom achieve outcomes that you could not achieve yourself with supportive family/friends who, hopefully, could encourage an orderly and calm discussion so that monies/assets can be fairly distributed in a manner that benefits your kids first, rather than you or your wife.

Invoke the welfare of the kids to make her side of the family see reason and logic.
A calm spouse is more amenable to negotiation than one who is being called names or being influenced by bitter divorced friends who know all their rights and none of their obligations. Have you tried talking or writing to your ex wife's parents to show your good faith? They may have some influence in calming her down so she becomes more reasonable.

Up the ante and use charm, dignity and reason to cool things down at the hornets nest before hiring a lawyer. Write to her if you cant bear to talk to her without shouting,,,,,,remind her of better times when you could both see eye to eye. Refrain from blame, tempting as it may be. And if you've done something remotely wrong in her eyes, it costs nothing to say sorry - its a lot cheaper than having to slug it out in court.

And stop calling her cunning (even if she is) :) Its counterproductive and will backfire. Grab a copy of Sun Tzu's "The Art of War". You may need it. It's 3000 years old and still in print so it must be good. It's mainly about winning without having to fight. And if pushed to fight, how best to win.

I don't envy you mate. Good luck out there. Keep us posted.

I hope you don;t consider this post glib. I mean well.

a big psycological barrier for both parties to overcome is that two halves does NOT make two wholes.

it is very common for both parties to feel ripped off because they suddenly can't have the nice house or overseas holidays or dining out or new car or (whatever) they'd been able to afford in the past as a couple.

i can only echo what bobbie said - keep your dignity, stay even tempered, switch off and don't react if slanging starts and be polite at all times.

been there - done that - and sometimes a simple disinterested "so?" or smile deflates their entire tirade.

Back