Digital Locks

Howdy

Anyone using digital locks on their rentals?
I assume not a good idea as they can be reset, effectively locking out owners etc.
However the tech is getting smarter and I foresee many benefits.
I've seen a few on Airbnb who use electronic.

Cheers

Don't have them on rental, but have one on own house with proximity access built in.
Its great not having to fumble with keys in dark it's just a little tag that you have to get close. The codepad means I can even leave them home when going out and not using car.

The better ones have multiple codes. The "Master" code is required to change user codes. So you keep the master to your self and supply the tenant/agent with one or more codes.

Been shown a few finger print units by sales people over the years. Never seen one I would trust to recognise print. Particularly as a trades person and the associated wear on hands.

Main power is not an issue. If installed properly they have battery backup.
Key override can be included as well.

Mine is set up to fail to locked externally but free to exit inside.
However with the 40w solar panel that feeds 20Ah battery it does not go flat even after a couple days of no power. System draws about 500mA.

Been shown a few finger print units by sales people over the years. Never seen one I would trust to recognise print. Particularly as a trades person and the associated wear on hands.

Main power is not an issue. If installed properly they have battery backup.
Key override can be included as well.

Mine is set up to fail to locked externally but free to exit inside.
However with the 40w solar panel that feeds 20Ah battery it does not go flat even after a couple days of no power. System draws about 500mA.

Ah so a battery redundancy is the standard setup?

I know of a few short term rentals which use them. When the manager/cleaner arrives they reset the code. Works a treat as there are no keys required ever.

Don't have them on rental, but have one on own house with proximity access built in.
Its great not having to fumble with keys in dark it's just a little tag that you have to get close. The codepad means I can even leave them home when going out and not using car.

The better ones have multiple codes. The "Master" code is required to change user codes. So you keep the master to your self and supply the tenant/agent with one or more codes.

I've almost Done this with Iphone/Wifi but got distracted by something else at the time :)

Howdy

Anyone using digital locks on their rentals?
I assume not a good idea as they can be reset, effectively locking out owners etc.
However the tech is getting smarter and I foresee many benefits.
I've seen a few on Airbnb who use electronic.

Cheers

Not for a rental property. The additional costs(installation and maintenance) don't out weight the benefits. Cheers

useful for short term rentals as can very easily change (electronic ones) the code once tenants vacate. And no issues with lost keys or being locked out.

mechanical ones you can change but is very tricky.

electronic ones have a master pin required to change the code.

really inexpensive these days, check eBay.

Back