Darwin anyone?

Just returned from 2 week holiday in Darwin. Our first time in the territory.

Really impressed with the place. Modern and lively, with out the traffic and stress.

I was speaking to an ex Victorian who has just moved there on a contract for 3 years, and is finding it very difficult to rent a house. Units are easier.

Rentals returns seem pretty good... around 5% +.

Saw a one bedroom unit (small) for sale $65K, with a tenant paying $120 per week... 10% return.

There are a lot of unit blocks being built. The bus driver told us of some unit developments in previously mangrove type area.. nice views, but stacks of mosquitoes. His mate bought one, but only lasted living there 12 months.

The driver reckoned some of the mossies are really big too. He said one landed at the Darwing airport and they'd pumped 100 litres of av gas into it before they realised. :D

One thing I did notice that was big though, was the crocodiles. Holy Shemoly. :eek: I was getting nervous just having a swim in the motel pool in case one jumped from behind the coconut trees.

If you haven't been there yet, make sure you do. Be prepared to drink plenty though :p

GarryK

redwing said:
Even though it is a city it has a 'country town' feel about it..

Lot's of "TROPPO" people though ;)
more common in the wet season aka Mango madness!!!
And the dry season brings out the "grey nomads" aka 'snowbirds" in their caravans/motorhomes.
Love it and miss it

great place (but have found another here in NZ)

Last edited:
Well I have yet to experience a winter here, so far so good, although ice on the windscreen one morning confused me, after 20 years in the NT!!!

Back