Dangerous gardens

I had a rare few hours available from Subway last week (well, it WAS Boxing Day, and the store was shut). The Investmemt Property about 5km away needed some gardening work desperately, so it was time to do something.

It was time to prune, as the trees andshrubs adjoining the driveway were taking control. So I spent quite as few hours in pruning.

I figured at the end of that day's work (OK, only 6 hours work, but followed by another 6 hours at Subway) that there was a LOT of work still to be done, so I headed back. And so I started on some more pruning the next morning. I was cutting branches with long handled cutters, and using a mnaual pruning saw to cut off a lot of dead branches.

About an hour into the job, I started to get very irritated eyes, and could not continue. I drove back to the shop, almost not able to see because of eye irritation. I immediately went to the doctor.

Apparently something had scratched my right eye, although my left eye was also inflamed. The scratch was across my iris.

Several days later, I can finally open my right eye, the irritation from the scratch has finally stopped. My GP assures me that I will be able to see from it normally again. I'll believe it when I see it (literally).

Moral. ALWAYS wear eye protection whenever doing anything which may produce sawdust, grit, or the like. I had glasses on, which I thought were enough to protect against sawdust from a small pruning saw. I was wrong,

Sorry to hear of your injury Geoff.
My husband is a professional treelopper and has had this happen to him about 4 times in the last 20 years.It is extremely painful and he needed to be in a dark room for about 24hrs and also putting ointment in his eye.The grit actually scratches the surface of the eye.Thats what causes the pain.If this injury is not treated properly imediatley it can cause severe headaches and go on for days.
Glad you had it seen to straight away.
Makes you apreciate your eye sight doesnt it :eek:
Saftey glasses are well worth the couple of bucks they cost, and you can get really trendy ones now if you are that way inclined.
cheers yadreamin

yadreamin

The grit actually scratched my iris, across the pupil. There was a slight ulceration, which has now gone, but there is still the remains on the scratch across the pupil.

I did get it treated straight away:

.The initial GP only looked at the one eye, very briefly. The left eye was also very red and inflamed, but he did not look at that. mHe bulk billed.
. That night it was intolerable. I went to the emergency section of the local hospital. The doctor on duty gave me some cream, and gave me a prescription.
. My wife tried to have the prescription filled, but was told it was no longer manufactured.
.She went back to the hospital to enquire, and was told that I needed to present myself ASAP

(I'd thought that I was just a sook, when there were people with bipolay, vomiting, etc).

The new doctor on duty actually called the Canberra on duty opthalmologist to get advice- the first doctors had not. As a result, she took a few more tests. As it turns out, she is my family's GP (I go to the doctor so seldom I could not even name my own GP). I am really impressed with her- she doesn't try to rush you through (as the initial bulk billing Dr and the first emergency ward Dr appeared to do)- and my family has previously received the same sort of considered treatment from her.

A pity I can't name names, positive or negatice.

geoffw said:
yadreamin

The grit actually scratched my iris, across the pupil. There was a slight ulceration, which has now gone, but there is still the remains on the scratch across the pupil.

I did get it treated straight away:

Hi Geoff,

Am very glad you got this treated quickly.

I am a consultant optometrist in Melbourne and see these sort of injuries on a regular basis and they can be quite nasty.

There are two potential problems - short term and long term.

Short term is a feeling of grittiness and dryness due to the roughened cornea. Worse in heating, airconditioning, smoke, dust etc. The eye may continue to feel like there is something left in it for a while. Your doctor may have already suggested some lubricant drops or gel to be used copiously for comfort - it's better to use more rather than less.

Long term is a problem called recurrent erosion - when you sleep the eye can dry out and the inside of the lid can stick to the injury site. This can lift off the surface again (like a scab being pulled off) for a month or so after some injuries (especially organic materials). This can be painful but can be avoided by using a lubricant ointment (eg Lacrilube or PolyVisc) in the eye just before sleep.

Please email me or PM me if I can help.

regards, Bill

Back