Cutting Costs during downturn

Just wondering what people here are going to do to save $$ during downturn in economy.

Lot of savvy people here. Any ideas?

I will be Shopping at Aldi for basics.
Not buying extra ice creams etc.
Less eating out.
Drinking cask wine instead of bottled wine:eek:

Not just driving around for something to do. May use pushy locally instead.
Not traveling interstate on holidays 6 times a year. Cut back a bit.
Bit more local camping instead of 4 - 5 star motels
Buying What I need. Not what I Want. :(

Seeing if I can find my wife a second job:p

Gee Cee

Greg

I would have thought that with falling interest rates that investors would have more cash in hand rather than less?

Just wondering what people here are going to do to save $$ during downturn in economy.

:confused:

Keep doing what I'm doing. Spend < 1/2 what I earn and save/invest the rest. I live very comfortably, but don't see any reason to tighten up. In fact, I might even increase my consumption during the tight period (my money may well go further!) to help smooth out the lumps and bumps of the business cycle! :D

You'll thank me when the GDP contraction is 0.00000000001 less severe than it would have been without my efforts! :p

I am hoping to make $$ during the downturn as well.
But it is always good to review yourself, your family and those expenses that tend to grow and grow. Mostly on doo dads and wants not needs

Cheers to bigger casks of wine:)

Gee Cee

(The Tight miserable one)

Greg

Im not planning on making any changes.
I imposed a rule on myself since i started work 15yrs ago that i only spend 30% of my income.

Gee Cee:

Lot of savvy people here. Any ideas?

I will be Shopping at Aldi for basics.
Not buying extra ice creams etc.
Less eating out.
Drinking cask wine instead of bottled wine

Not just driving around for something to do. May use pushy locally instead.
Not traveling interstate on holidays 6 times a year. Cut back a bit.
Bit more local camping instead of 4 - 5 star motels
Buying What I need. Not what I Want.

Seeing if I can find my wife a second job

...you forgot about raiding my dams for my sweet little wild black ducks... xmas lunch. :)

Drinking cask wine instead of bottled wine:eek:

Seeing if I can find my wife a second job:p
If you have a ABN number then just buy everything in bulk,imported german beer at the local bottle shop is only 25 bucks a box,while all aussie made beer is $35,i go to the local markets at Rocklea every friday morning most boxes of vegs-apples are all half price after 10 in the morning,with all the new stock that comes in friday night,no change for us just keep doing what i have been doing all my life,but i.m not game to ask the wife to find a second job,she has been the only one working for the past 9 years:rolleyes: while i do all the running around school-pickups and house work,nothing like being a home dad in a free country..willair..

If you have a ABN number then just buy everything in bulk,imported german beer at the local bottle shop is only 25 bucks a box,while all aussie made beer is $35,i go to the local markets at Rocklea every friday morning most boxes of vegs-apples are all half price after 10 in the morning,with all the new stock that comes in friday night,no change for us just keep doing what i have been doing all my life,but i.m not game to ask the wife to find a second job,she has been the only one working for the past 9 years:rolleyes: while i do all the running around school-pickups and house work,nothing like being a home dad in a free country..willair..

Good on you Willair. Not enough of us about ;)

Cheers

Shane

Should not we be out hanging out the washing, sweeping, cleaning and getting beds made tea started and shopping done. Instead of sitting on SS:p

Gee Cee

Greg

Right now I am cutting back the grocery bill by a lot because I am too nauseous to eat or cook, and hubby is less concerned than me with healthy eating so cheap nasty stuff like sausages and party pies have been on the menu of late. I'd have to say he is doing a great job of being Mr Mum though, I am so proud of him doing everything and still working full time too.

We have always had a very limited cash flow/low income and I just feel we need run an even tigher ship now with little prospect of CG in the mid term a third child on the way.

We will be taking holidays locally (borrowing Dad's game boat:D), heck, we'll even bring Dad so he won't hit us up for all the deisel, and Mum too because she doesn't charge for babysitting. We will eat more fish and seafood that we catch ourselves. I can do Coral Trout in a Mango coconut curry for about 50c/serve.

I will keep buying my clothes from Op shops. I am amazed at what I can buy for under $10. As for the new bub on the way, I will gratefully accept hand-me-downs from friends and buy on ebay secondhand whatever else I need. That way the baby bonus can go onto the PPOR mortgage for future needs.

As for wine, well Pregnancy has taken care of that expense for a while:(.
Our Obsession, I could go a few black ducks - my Grandma used to cook them in a sort of stew and it was incredible, just had to spit out the odd lead pellet. I am all for eating wild things that cost nothing but am not really in a position to get them (other than seafood and tropical fruit).

Louise

Should not we be out hanging out the washing, sweeping, cleaning and getting beds made tea started and shopping done. Instead of sitting on SS:p

Gee Cee

Greg
I was never any good at house work,i just get the garden blower out of the shed and open all the windows up once a week comes up clean everytime it's hard work being a home dad,plus it's priceless seeing your kids grow up and helping them along the way,gotta go they have the $7.95 counter lunch with a free pot of beer,and watch all the ladies walk past the local pub....willair..

We've chopped out all of our unconditional cash offers, and are now insisting on the inclusion of a finance clause. Far less risky.

my tax money is set aside and put into an offset account for my mortgage, which frees up cashflow.

i will be using a Veridian LOC against my property to secure some income-producing investments.

we spend frugally anyway, so changing this doesn't aid in anything.

kids don't really change the cashflow that much - you just buy more of the same to increase your portion size - clothes, food etc.

more picnics, more walking, more home activities (seriously - a $3 pack of toilet paper can last all afternoon and cause fits of hysterical laughter in children under 4!), more playing together.

it's nice really.

more picnics, more walking, more home activities (seriously - a $3 pack of toilet paper can last all afternoon and cause fits of hysterical laughter in children under 4!), more playing together.
Occassionally I grab a couple of $1.10 loaves of bread then down to the lake to feed the ducks with my 7 year old. She then heads to the playground whilst I lay on the grass with the ipod keeping a watchful eye out. Before my wife was working weekends we used to take a bottle of red when doing this. Nice afternoon and costs stuff all

As for saving during a downturn, Bankwest have given me an extra $100 p/m with the rate reduction... Does that count?

Last edited:
Back