Costs of refinancing

Does anyone have advice about refinancing? I think from recent experience that you have to be careful to 'increase' your finance, not call it a refinance, or the cost can be horrendous. Last year I found a potential new IP & the RE agency had an in house finance brokerage who said no problem, we can use the equity in that IP for the deposit on the new one. So I agreed to have them to that, but specifically requested that they "refinance" with the same lender. They did this and I was surprised at the amount of paperwork, especially letters from the lender's solicitors mentioning discharge of mortgage etc etc. I was horrified afterwards at the costs taken out (close to $5000 on an increase of $32000.). The new purchase did not go ahead. However worse was to come last month when I did refinance the same IP with another lender ( because the value had gone up & the new lender does a higher LVR which allowed me to purchase another new IP). The original lenders fees came to over $14000!!!!!, on top of paying out the loan. They claim it was a "new loan" last year & therefore the exit fees are calculated on the loan being less than a year old.
It's a very expensive way to learn to ask for an increase & not a refinance! I feel the broker should have been aware of the difference & should have had a certain responsibility to point this out to me, shouldn't they?
This has made things VERY tight as I was depending on having enough left over to pay holding costs for several months.

Has anyone else had a similar bad experience?

Damn, that's a bit of a worry. I planned on having my PPOR revalued soon as to get a LOC all within a year of purchasing it. I'm moving in back with familly and want this place to be looked upon as being an 'investment' for tax purposes so I'm not sure but I think refinancing is what I need to do (CBA $120K current loan)? Any advice? My LOC would probably only be $15K tops, so I'm abit worried now with these fees that you're talking about.

Glucose what/which bank are you with?

Last edited:
Dear Glucose,

1.What types of loan are yours?

2. Are they the usual residential homeloans from the major banks/lenders or are they low-doc or no-doc loans from non-conforming lenders?

3. Thank you

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Dear Rolf,

1. Can you please share with us which are the lenders we should be careful of? or the kind of loans or/and circumstances we should be careful when applying for a normal homeloan or/and seeking to re-finance our homeloans, please.

2. Looking forward to learning from you,please.

3. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Hiya

Generally, but not always if you stay wth the majors and variable rate loans (without honeymoons) you will be ok, there will be fees, but not this stoooooopid huge stuff.

You cant beat reading the loan contract though folks :) BEFORE you settle

Many a time I have come across a client with lender X that wants to refi,only to have to tell them there is no financial advantage in doing so because of the 2 % exit penalty that they didnt notice on the docs.

ta
rolf

Hiya Pete Pumpkin

Dont stress over the fees, yours will be weeny compared to this post :)

Your banker broker can make it work so you only out in a separate loan to what u already have .

ta
rolf

It's usually cheaper to refinance with the same lender, right? I refinanced an ANZ loan to CBA and it cost me something like $3k. I refinanced another loan within ANZ and it cost me almost nothing.
Alex

Dear Kenneth KOH,

Yes, it's a low doc non conforming lender. Original loan taken out in Oct 2004and an increase ( I thought) of $35000 added about August last year. I realized the fees would be a bit higher than an ordinary bank, so asked broker to stay with same lender. However apparently because of the "re-finance" this lender started the clock ticking from August 2006 on the "new" loan, so when I refinance with a new lender last month they considered the loan to be less than a year old & whacked on these huge exit fees.
Hence my warning about the terms used - increase versus re-finance!

Thanks for your input.

Back