Corrupted Ofarrell Quits

I am glad to see this bloke gone , if they keep digging they will find more.He has stuffed up so many people lives due to his decisions a great day .

Never lie to ICAC is generally a good rule. The deed wasn't a big deal. It was the poorly attempted to cover up. Unless there is something else to come.

I had time for him. Generally a decent Premier. Some decisions I really disagreed with, but overall I rated him.

What is it with being Premier of NSW?

Been a revolving door since Carr left with his tail between his legs.

I thought he had been doing a good job. Even the staunchest Labor supporter would have to agree things have been improving in NSW since the last government was ousted.

Must be more to come though, surely you wouldn't fall on your sword for something as minor as that.

Must be more to come though, surely you wouldn't fall on your sword for something as minor as that.

Remains to be seen.

But lying to ICAC (where I presume you are under oath) is pretty bad.

There is a time and a place for lies in politics. ICAC is niether of them. The irony is that he might be a victim of his own honesty - maybe he didn't honestly recall the wine. A more devious individual might have used the (tried and true) "I have no recollection of that" defence.

What an idiot!! Why didn't he just say "Woops, yes I did receive that bottle of wine I must have forgot to put it on the register"??? Probably would have got a minor dressing down by the opposition and that would be about the end of it.

Lying at a corruption inquiry! Of all the places to lie...

Remains to be seen.

But lying to ICAC (where I presume you are under oath) is pretty bad.

There is a time and a place for lies in politics. ICAC is niether of them. The irony is that he might be a victim of his own honesty - maybe he didn't honestly recall the wine. A more devious individual might have used the (tried and true) "I have no recollection of that" defence.

He didn't count on there being courier records of the bottle's delivery, or phone records of him calling to thank them, or the smoking gun, the thank you note.

If you asked me if I received a bottle of Moet - I'd honestly probably not recall. It's no big deal. But if you asked me if I'd received a $3000 bottle of the vintage of my birth year I certainly would.

Seems Barry would too. Yesterday he said "What I do know is if I received a bottle of 1959 penfolds, I don't believe I would have forgot it"

I am glad to see this bloke gone , if they keep digging they will find more.He has stuffed up so many people lives due to his decisions a great day .

I think if you shone a light on all the dodgy wheeling and dealing and relationships between politicians, power brokers, and lobbyists, there wouldn't be many career politicians left.

He never forgot that he received it let alone a hand written thank you note he just thought he would not get caught out,now this has opened up a can of worms as they will look in depth previous years and dealings he has been involved,I hope this drags him down he deserves it, Karma lol .

Amazing, isn't it. So often it's the little things that bring people undone. Imagine working all your life toward a job and you finally get that job and you stuff everything up by thinking you can bluff the ICAC.
I'm guessing Barry won't be doing the meet and greet when Prince William lobs into Sydney this arvo. Barry's wife would have put away her best frock by now.

ICAC Grills Premier over missing $3000 bottle of wine

There is a full transcript of his appearance at ICAC on that site.

Here's the bit I now don't get -- It seems that from the get-go that Geoffrey Watson (Counsel Assisting ICAC) had Barry O'Farrell by (what could be called) "the short and curlys".

So why would O'Farrell lie?

Why (possibly) add perjury to any other alleged indiscretions?

I mean, trying to get away with something and deny it becomes both pointless and self-destructive as evidence mounts up against you.

And lying under oath / misleading ICAC = game over (immediately) when you're a state Premier.

I didn't mind him as a Premier ... he was doing an okay job

But I don't understand why he (or anyone) would say a definite "no" if there was any doubt at all. Wouldn't it be just easier to "I may have, but don't immediately recall" ... allows wriggle room.

Gosh - I can't even remember what I got for Christmas just gone ... let alone being in a high profile, very demanding job and trying to remember something 3 years ago ... although ... it was a bottle of Grange

At least the purchase price of $3000.00 that someone paided for the bottle of dry-red-shiraz for just over 7 standard drinks was a good investment that same bottle at the wine auctions or private investors cellar would be in the 4.5-5.0k maybe he thought he was above surveillance technology..

Back