copyright issue

Hi
Wonder if someone here is an author or lawyer who is familiar with this topic.

If an author writes a book, and he references another author, lets say he references NLP(neuro linguistic programming), or Silva Mind COntrol. Does he need written permission to quote them? Or all he has to do is to credit the other speaker/author?

Also, for copyright, does an author need to apply(?) for a copyright to his book, or is it just done by writing "copyright of ....(author)"?

Hello,

I'm not a lawyer, but in regards to your second question. If i recall from a law subject i did back at uni, that is all you need to do. However, as this is all someone else who rips your stuff off needs to do as well, it is wise to be able to prove when you did actually write something.

I think in the old days people used to date items and send them by mail to another party they knew so that the date stamp on the envelope would provide some extra proof as to the validity of the date. Not sure how good this method is, as it doesn't actually prove what was in the envelope. Maybe the best thing would be to show a few trusted people and get them to confirm your date of writing by signature or something.

Proper legal advice or at least reading some goverment websites on the issue would definitely be a good idea.

G'day Leandro,

Leandro said:
I think in the old days people used to date items and send them by mail to another party they knew so that the date stamp on the envelope would provide some extra proof as to the validity of the date. Not sure how good this method is, as it doesn't actually prove what was in the envelope.
A good point Leandro - the way I heard was this (seems to make sense to me):-

You send a copy of the work to YOURSELF through the mail - maybe get it hand-stamped at the Post Office (just so you KNOW you'll be able to read the post mark (date) clearly.

I guess you might even want to make it Registered - then you need to sign for it, and there will be a copy of the Post Office's records to "call upon if needed" in a Court case.

When it arrives, you put it away in your safe (?) unopened. Then, should there be a need to invoke "copyright", you present your (still unopened) envelope in the Court room as Exhibit A. After it's all over, any further issues re THIS work has the Court documents as proof of date produced (from the date of the unopened envelope) so you don't need envelopes 2, 3, or 100.

Anyway, it seemed to me to be a fairly inexpensive, yet effective way of proving your work existed on a particular date.

But then, I'm NOT a lawyer either.... ;)

Regards,

Last edited:
Copyright does not need to be applied for. It's always best if a notice is included.

When quoting another person it depends on how much is quoted and whether you use terms they have IP over.

For example, no-one owns the term 'neuro linguistic programming'.

Generally the courtesy is to ask for their permission - particularly if you are quoting them directly.

This is very rough however - I generally just wrote the stuff and let the editor sort out any copyright issues before publishing :)

You can discover a lot more about it at: http://www.copyright.org.au

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back