Container Homes..

With accomodation reaching crisis point in Karratha, this is one proposed solution to accomodate workers and employess for small business owners.

The promoters of this 'solution' have leased 14,000 m2 off the govt. in the industrial area, and are proposing ot locate these units on the site, to accomodate up to 120 persons.

They are available as
20 ft bedsits
30 ft 1 bedroom
40 ft 2 bedroom

Apparently they will also be available to purchase !!!

Guess its better than living in a tin shed, or in a car, or on the beach as some reports suggest is happening...

Kevin

Attachments

• DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00006 (3).JPG
    DSC00006 (3).JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 59
they are probably like a meat freezer container!! :D seriously what a disaster... so many planning restrictions and inaction by government that we are resorting to living in tin boxes in the heat... whack on an air con and destroy the environment a little more. But rest assured... the 2 houses they did approve conform to the r-codes very nicely.

might look nasty to live in a container.....but let's not forget that indigenous australians are happy to live in a gunyah...............now, does anyone want to stand up and criticize our Aboriginal brothers for their environmentallly sustainable and friendly lifestyle choices?

I visited Moranbah, Moura, Blackwater, and Emerald last year, and saw what a lot of miners were living in........dongers.........

When a mine doesn't know whether it will be viable next year or not, then a beefed up donger makes more sense then building a permanent house in the desert......

Good point about the air conds.

This one has it built in. Maybe you pay extra for air cond :eek:

These are not for mine employees or the construction workforce.
They already have resort style camps, with ensuites, wet messes, pools, cabled video, internet, etc.

These are specifically for employees of local small businesses, who can't afford to pay the market rent, let alone find vacant accomodation.

Caravans in a caravan park are also out, as they are all full permanently.

Small business can't recruit or keep staff as they can't accomodate them.

Its has genuinely reached crisis point.

Ironic that you have boom conditions, and so much prosperity, and yet the the side effects are so negative as well.

KEvin

Attachments

• DSC00007.JPG
    DSC00007.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00008.JPG
    DSC00008.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 56
Ironic that you have boom conditions, and so much prosperity, and yet the the side effects are so negative as well.

KEvin

Kev, when in central Qld with support workers for the mines last year, I realized that the guys working those jobs went there out of free willl. They went there and endured those condtions cos they were getting paid bigger money then they'd get staying back in Atherton, Bathurst, Orange, Albury Wodonga......and I ain't choosing those towns' names off the top of my head....they were real life contractors.......

For those guys, the side effects were positive..........compared to the other option.......

someone in government office should be shot. after dealing with the local council I can see why nothing gets done.

Too little too late.
They are finally releasing land now, but then they find there are no builders to deliver the houses. And the ones that can build, are charging $400k plus gst ( gotta love that gst component)

Problem is that the govt has released land by ballot, with building covenants requiring buyers to build within 30 months or have the block taken back.
The penny has finally dropped that the poor old buyer has no control over the building process, and will probably be penalised by the covenant.

So now Landcorp goes to the public seeking EOIs' from builder willing to go up there and help build 'affordable' and 'timely' houses.( ie....QUICKLY !!)

Stats are that 1700 lots are due to be released in the Pilbara region in the next 2 yrs, with approx 1200 in Karratha.
I was told they currently ( as in now) need 100 houses just in Karratha.

There is 10 yrs worth of construction to come, let alone the ongoing operations thereafter.

KEvin..

Kev, when in central Qld with support workers for the mines last year, I realized that the guys working those jobs went there out of free willl. They went there and endured those condtions cos they were getting paid bigger money then they'd get staying back in Atherton, Bathurst, Orange, Albury Wodonga......and I ain't choosing those towns' names off the top of my head....they were real life contractors.......

For those guys, the side effects were positive..........compared to the other
option.......

Agreed Bruce.
But there are two sides to the coin.

Those on the big mining company money, who get all the perks and incentives ( either resident, or fly in fly out) and then there are the 'locals' who struggle to survive on normal wages, as well as the small businesses who can't afford to pay the equiv of mining company wages, hence can't recruit staff, and run themselves into the ground trying to operate a small business without staff.

Definitely a two tiered society.

KEvin.

they are probably like a meat freezer container!! :D seriously what a disaster... so many planning restrictions and inaction by government that we are resorting to living in tin boxes in the heat... whack on an air con and destroy the environment a little more. But rest assured... the 2 houses they did approve conform to the r-codes very nicely.

Classic that.....
All those onerous conditions and endless delays to get approval by the council, and then they never visit site ONCE, and its a free for all in the burbs.
Everyone doing their own thing...with no council checks.

Kevin

When a mine doesn't know whether it will be viable next year or not, then a beefed up donger makes more sense then building a permanent house in the desert......

Was in Mt Isa recently, and the symptoms are exactly the same.
This is not a town that is going to disappear in a year or two.
Its in an earlier part of the phase than Karratha is going through.
Massive expansion for years to come, and no accomodation !!

Not the mining companie's fault.
They're in the 'mining' business, not the 'housing' business.
That was a quote from them on a community informaton night they hosted, to explain what they have planned for the next two yrs.
One guy got up and advised that he advertised a property to let, and got 300enquiries, and then asked if the mining company would do anything to assist with subsidised home loans, rent assistance, etc.
Response was a shrug of the shoulders...."we're in the mining business"

Bizarre situation...

Guess its better than living in a tin shed, or in a car, or on the beach as some reports suggest is happening...
And on another upside, locking yourself outside won't be an issue; just make sure you carry a can opener in your boot and you'll be fine!!! ;) :p

Back