colourbond fence or not?

I've heard colourbond fences are not liked in Brisbane suburbs- however they seem the best for rentals, especially thinking about termite problems with wooden fences. I am doing a reno and need a new fence. The house will be rented for $450 per week - a modernised 80s house but not super trendy, that's why I think colourbond will be ok. Any advice? Are wooden fences really cheaper and won't they be alot more maintenance? I've tried to find photos in the gallery but haven't come across any.

The problem is getting the neighbor to agree to the more expensive fence instead of the garden variety picketed number.

I was told that woodend slat fencing is cheaper than colourbond. Anyway, its mostly along the front and only a little down the side so I'm paying for it all.

colourbond is so easy and quick to install.
The problem is they need looking after by the tenant.
They can easily get scratched and dinged up if you have careless renters.
I am this week going to install treated pine pallings on rails with steel posts.
Did a 66 foot rear fence 3 years ago and materials came to $250 for my share
this did not include the steel post which were already in place.

Hi arriety,

From a design perspective (and my personal opinion), your average Colourbond fence is an eyesore - particularly if it is running across the property in front of the house (parallel to the road) - not just side fences Ie:

BlueColorbond.JPG

However, you might find an aluminium slatted fence will do the trick. Less maintenance than a timber fence and looks fantastic. Ie:

AluminiumSlattedFencing.jpg

(does not necessarily need to have rendered posts between).

It does depend of course on the value of your property/location etc.. as to how much you should reasonably spend on your fence. Remember that the fence is the FIRST thing people see. From an adding value perspective, a great looking fence is essential and worth spending a bit extra on.

If you just want it to enclose the property regardless of looks or 'value-add' consideration (though I would never recommend that!), then the top fence might be quite suitable.

Tenants might not care what sort of fence you have, but if you're looking to add value to the property, then I would consider carefully what you do.

Good luck and I hope my 5 cents worth helps!

I double what Jane has said.

In January we had our entire boundary replaced. Colourbond panels on the sides and back and colourbond slats across the front. We didn't do the rendered brick in between just 100mm posts in a contrasting colour. Looks fab. We used to have one of the worst looking houses on the street, it's now one of the best.

I'd post photos, but Im lazy.

Thanks for the replies guys especially Jane for the photos - I see what you mean. the aluminium fence certainly looks classy. I'll check out the prices.

I want a fence on my rental for some privacy out the front as the house faces a childcare centre and its the only grassed area. ( The back is concrete and a pool. ) The slat aluminium fence looks good but its not private enough, So I think I'm going with colourbond anyway as its a cheap way to add some privacy and I've just seen a fence in the next street that looks smart. It will have an electric sliding gate too. Will post a picture when done. Its a rental after all and if I want to sell it in 10 years time, I can decide if I need to change the fence.

Back