Claiming Security Alarm and Smoke Detectors

Hi

I recently had some repairs done at a investment property. It included
some replacements of components of the system such as some new
Glass break sensors and smoke alarms.There was also a tamper switch replaced inside an existing alarm box that otherwise worked and some reed switches/wiring replaced in doors that were not working due to suspected water damage from a storm.

These Glases break sensors and smoke alarms simply wore out or broke. I realise repairs (best option tax wise) involve replacement of a worn out or broken part and that the tamper switch & reed switch's/wiring could probably fall under repair?

However from what I have read the other items (other than the tamper switch and reed switches) whilst part of a overall security system are considered by the ATO to be a unit (not a part) as each item performs its own function.

Would I be right then in saying they are Depreciating Assets to which I must assign a separate useful life?

Looking here I find
http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/IND00270214N17290611.pdf

Page 38
detectors (including glass, passive infrared, and vibration) @ 5years
Page 35
Fire control assets: / Smoke @ 6 years

Please advise

I doubt you'd only install one hard-wired smoke alarm in the entire house....More like 4-5.
Why?

One smoke alarm would be sufficient if all bedroom doors are configured in such a way that you can install the one smoke alarm and not be more than 1 meter form all the bedroom doors. Very easy to do in the 2 bedroom place normally a little harder in a 3 or 4 bed place but still sometimes possible in a 3 bed place.

Cheers

Back to the original question. Are you currently depreciating the alarms / detectors etc?

I would think the new components are depreciable, (depending on cost to purchase) but if the current components are being depreciated, then you can write the current items off. They have effectively been disposed for nought.

Last edited:
Back