career advice

Hello all.

i am a 21 year old male currently working in a physically demanding occupation.

I'm looking at getting into property management.

i cant see myself working as a residential PM forever, but i think it would be a good start then possibly progress to a commercial PM or possibly a Buyers Agent .

having dealt with PMs before, i understand the jobs not all roses and often you are the meat between the sandwich between the tenant and the landlord.

was just wanting to get a few second thoughts from others that may have a little more knowledge in the field, or related fields.

I'd suggest you go and get your Certificate (about $500 course at the REI or online), and then contact a few REA's for unpaid work experience on your day off or on 1 week of your holidays, to get a feel for the job and what it entails.

i got my ticket in tafe the year after i left school.

was just thinking some agencies would be hesitant to have someone working for experience that would not be on the books for work cover and the like

i got my ticket in tafe the year after i left school.

was just thinking some agencies would be hesitant to have someone working for experience that would not be on the books for work cover and the like

It can't help to ask. I think you'll find they'll be happy to take someone on for work experience.

I went from commercial to my own agency (which took in resi) - so there is absolutely no need to dirty your hands with residential if you have no aspirations of working in that field, if anything it will put you off.

There are plenty of better opportunities available for commercial pm than with resi.

I went from commercial to my own agency (which took in resi) - so there is absolutely no need to dirty your hands with residential if you have no aspirations of working in that field, if anything it will put you off.

There are plenty of better opportunities available for commercial pm than with resi.

Just curious, what do most commercial PM's charge. Never really see it mentioned anywhere. Is there a bigger/smaller portion of self managers in commercial than resi?

Both commercial PM's I have spoken with both started through residential so I was under the impression that was the way I could possibly get into commercial.

Just curious, what do most commercial PM's charge. Never really see it mentioned anywhere.

Depends - usually less than residential but it depends upon the size of the rentroll

Is there a bigger/smaller portion of self managers in commercial than resi?

That's anyone's guess but even the large listed property trusts with major cbd buildings generally follow an outsourced model eg: Investa, DEXUS outsource whereas Westfield, Macquarie Goodman, Centro do it in house but may outsource leasing or other functions.

Working in transport.

jobs around 80% labour, 20% office - Dispatch management, quoting , customer service, and other odds and ends.

a completely different field really.
I have been working in this field full time since i finished school and got a cert in property services part time at tafe.

I just feel as if i want to try a few different things while i'm still in the position to.

Back