Buying a 'dream car'

...or dream cars until someone sideswipes you two weeks after picking it up from the dealership. :mad:
It happened to me too. Well, somebody backed into it while it was parked. On my birthday.

They did leave their details, and it is covered under their insurance, but I was without the car for a week, for a 20cm scratch.

But it wasn't the same sort of $$. $21K. So it didn't lose quite as much value as it may have.

I went for Bluetooth as a desirable feature- and I love it. I can play music from my smartphone, and talk on the phone through the sound system. I listen to a lot of spoken word in the car- courses, audiobooks, podcasts- so time spent driving isn't completely wasting my day.

They are a great car. Had a drive around a track in one of them and you couldn't wipe the grin off my face :D

I sold my MX5 trackday car recently to free up some capital, and once I'm in a more comfortable position I will replace it with an 86, and I can't think of higher praise than that.

Good things come to those who wait :) I still love my Toyota Camry Hybrid but it's come time for that little something extra- hubby reckons I'm going through a mid-life crisis :D

My thoughts exactly and my GTS 86 is being built this month- delivery due in April and I can't wait :D Who said dream cars have to cost a fortune?!

You will absolutely love it. I can't believe there are three people on this little thread with one, as I hardly see any being driven around Sydney.

The crazy thing about this car is its won every award under the sun, has fixed priced servicing, is relatively fuel efficient, and is incredibly good value for money.

To HiEquity

Thanks for the big reply and that's your opinion about cars:

"Cars for the road are an appliance and IMO should be bought for their utility and life cycle economy"

But I like cars and have fun drives out and as I catch a bus to work I enjoy it more :D

To note as well i drive a mazda 3 and I still enjoy going for drives, other people see it as an A to B object.

And to the people with 86's there's heaps in syd! try looking for an original 1986 sprinter like I used to have haha

John.

It's your choice.

For the last decade we have averaged $1k per year in car depreciation costs. For the previous decade I made money driving cars because I was doing up and flipping cars I bought from wholesale auctions. You can still do this if you spend some time learning - I don't have time for it anymore and the hourly rate wasn't much - it was more about the fact I effectively got free motoring out of it.

Some of my friends have spent quite literally hundreds of thousands of dollars more than me in car finance, depreciation and maintenance costs over the same timeframe (I haven't had much in the way of maintenance costs because I either took the bicycle or bus to work and commuting is the main cost). You are looking down the same barrel here. If they had invested those dollars instead their financial positions would be A LOT better. It would likely mean they wouldn't have to keep working for the man the way they do (and hate doing).

Similar choices in the rest of their life would mean they could have save decades off the time they have to spend working for the man. Time with their kids, time they could have spent following their passion rather than being a slave to the highest form of income available at the time.

So it's always a choice and it doesn't particularly matter how wealthy you are or where you are in life - do I spend my money on this car or use it to spend time with my kids, time with my friends, or perhaps donate the money to the Leukemia Foundation (or similar), or setup my own charitable foundation? Or use it to setup my own business in an area I love? Or invest it so I can leverage a bigger sum later for that real dream of mine... or help my aging parents supplement their pension, or my struggling sister who is battling that awful disease, etc etc etc.

Which use of that money would actually make me happier? If, after thinking through all the things this money could possibly be used for, you still reckon the car will bring you the most happiness, then I suspect we have nothing more to say to each other...

Why by new cars?

Buy an old restored classic.

Enjoy for many years.

Sell it for what you paid for it. (or more)
We get blokes coming in to the workshop from time to time with older classic cars....in the process of restoration mostly.

The pattern is common that they can't get parts readily, or they want something fixed and due to the nature of some aspects of their mechanical set up can be problematic to work on; thus more expensive due to time.

Not saying don't do it, but even if it is restored; cars break down.

Dream cars are usually only dream cars while they're new. After a couple of years they start to wear, newer models are out, values drop.

Cars are fun, but I'd never spend more than $45k or so on a car.
I remember a line from "Millionaire Next Door" which said something along the line of they don't typically own cars which are more than 10% of their nett worth, or was it income?

Nett worth can be dangerous, because you can be asset rich and cash poor.

My thoughts exactly and my GTS 86 is being built this month- delivery due in April and I can't wait :D Who said dream cars have to cost a fortune?!

Thats good to hear Jacque, your going to love it!

The only cars I really like under 100K are the 86 and the Nissan 370z but that is double the price of what a GT 86 costs. I like the new Ford Rangers too and actually had a Wildtrak model on order but I cancelled it when it got delayed by 12 months.

EDIT** On the classic car bit.. I wouldn't be able to claim a 68 firebird as a "business use" could I? haha

If you use it for earning an income, yes, expenses will be deductable just like any other car. I use my clubman (My avatar pic) to get me around sometimes in my business, so I claim it's use.

My daily drive is a big expensive luxury car, and I love driving it. Never had a tall poppy syndrome problem. But lots of people come up to me and want to have a look and to know all about it. The car was one year old and had already depreciated $50k. We purchased it using one third business cash and the rest business chattel mortgage.

I am also a fan of the Toyota 86, my son took delivery of his GTS just before christmas. Great fun:)

The cheapest motoring I've ever managed was my old 1979 Kingswood wagon. Paid $500 and it had 8 and a half months rego on it. Paid another $180 for 4 retread tyres. Traded it in on a new car when the rego ran out and got $500. So in 8 and a half months of reliable motoring my only costs were fuel and $180 of tyres.

Plus it was good fun returning to my bogan roots for a while.

I remember a line from "Millionaire Next Door" which said something along the line of they don't typically own cars which are more than 10% of their nett worth, or was it income?

Nett worth can be dangerous, because you can be asset rich and cash poor.

I think it was income. As I recall, the description was along the lines of 'locally manufactured sedans, often the previous model, paid for with cash'.

In other words, cheap but reliable and functional second hand cars.

HiEquity - Not trying to start a war, sorry if it sounds like I am, Im only discussing about how to go about getting a car because I want to know the ways people get around this while investing, Its your choice what you do with your money

Peatsman - sounds good, did you already have this car before you were claiming though?

John.

Well it is easy for me: I don't see any car on current market that I classify as My Dream Car (old or new)

I was waiting for Evo X - big dissapointment...
GT86 to replace my Supra - Fail...(apparently RE agents drive them now ! ) :mad:

I dont mind Lexus LFA - but I forgot where I hid my $ 800K lol:D

Well it is easy for me: I don't see any car on current market that I classify as My Dream Car (old or new)

I was waiting for Evo X - big dissapointment...
GT86 to replace my Supra - Fail...(apparently RE agents drive them now ! ) :mad:

I dont mind Lexus LFA - but I forgot where I hid my $ 800K lol:D

Can somebody please explain why the fact that some real estate agents drive Toyota Gt86's a fail :mad:?

I've always been mystified on why people hold such a grudge against agents for driving nice cars and dressing well. Am I missing something? :confused:

Having owned a Ferrara 430 and two Porsche C4S and Expensive Datsun Nissan Gtr R35 which I just sold after 30 days of ownership, CARS ARE A WASTE OF MONEY. There is over $1mill in cars, and I hate to say how much I've lost due to depreciation.

I constantly read how many IP properties people could have purchased if they didn't blow the money on cars, would like to hear more. How and what there strategies are.

Can somebody please explain why the fact that some real estate agents drive Toyota Gt86's a fail :mad:?

I've always been mystified on why people hold such a grudge against agents for driving nice cars and dressing well. Am I missing something? :confused:
I think it comes down to the perceived value of the "product" they sell - brokerage of a sale - compared to standard of car.

Sorta like comparing them to say;a school teacher etc, who mostly drive yer Falcodores and the like; yet are perceived to be of more use to the world?

Not saying it's fair that people judge them this way; just saying it is what it is.

Add to that the perceived image of shonky, whereas the doctor is perceived as the pillar of society, and they often drive the same cars....

Maybe other reasons?

Last edited:
I had a sorta "dream car" for about a year last year - Holden Clubsport R8, 2010 model..

Absolutely beautiful to drive and was amazingly quick, charcoal exterior, black leather throughout....

sigh.

I think it comes down to the perceived value of the "product" they sell - brokerage of a sale - compared to standard of car.

Sorta like comparing them to say;a school teacher etc, who mostly drive yer Falcommodores and the like; yet are perceived to be of more use to the world?

Not saying it's fair; just saying it is what it is.

Add to that the perceived image of shonky, whereas the doctor is perceived as the pillar of society, and they often drive the same cars....

Maybe other reasons?

To me if you love sports cars and have a GT86 because of that, all good.

If you have one because of image then ****** sounds like banker.

Peter

Back