Building with a DA that isn't valid anymore

My neighbour is doing some work on their house which is covered by a DA that is no longer valid (it's exp ired). I have never seen the plans and when I asked council what they were building, they told me that they shouldn't be building anything as the DA isn't valid.

Should I be letting this slide?

They also refused to pay for half the fencing when I went over to ask them what they thought about replacing the asbestos fence that is in poor condition. This is probably because they think because I am building, that I will just pay for it myself and not bother issuing them with a notice to fence.

See them about the fence again to agree onwho pays what, if they become difficult all ask what they're building and about the da etc. see how they play it out then drop some things that your seeing council or know know someone there

Then if all goes pear shaped your not getting the fence sorted ring up council and ask about the da. But it's unlucky council has balls to do much.

Then sabotage is always an option

plenty of work carries on after a DA is expired, the wording states work must be "substantially commenced" before the expiration of the DA.

This generally means a slab is down; but can mean cleared, levelled and serviced ready for slab.

i know someone that had put slabs down prior to the expiration in full knowledge that the DA wouldn't be re-issued, only to sit on it until the building approval was due to lapse, then brickwork began.

re: the fence - if the fence is not in serviceable (ie protective) condition, then a new fence may be requested.

the neighbour is only required to pay half the cost of a minimum fence, so super-six or colorbond; and half the cheapest quote obtained from three, not the quote you choose.

Back