Builder paid before job done

Hello all,

Some of you may know I am building a speccy.

Handover day is Friday 19th and there are a couple things not done yet. (Today is Thursday)

small items.

However, the bank has gone ahead and paid the builder one day early.

I have no doubt the few items left will be done within a day or so.

What would you do??:confused:

Hope the few little things are done!

Gees, I had the opposite trouble with my bank: they were hopeless at paying progress payments, and sent out a valuer four times during construction!

Keep on and on at them. Good luck.

We paid our builder (for our PPOR) a few days early even though the house wasn't finished. (The builder told us it would all be done within the next couple of days and we were desperate for the keys because we had been homeless for 2 months pior and Christmas was only days away). Anyway those "couple of days" turned into "a couple of months", which was annoying but at least we had a roof over our heads and things were eventually finished as promised.

Hello all,

Some of you may know I am building a speccy.

Handover day is Friday 19th and there are a couple things not done yet. (Today is Thursday)

small items.

However, the bank has gone ahead and paid the builder one day early.

I have no doubt the few items left will be done within a day or so.

What would you do??:confused:

Blast the bank first of all.

And hopefully not for your sake, but you will need to be constantly on the builders back to get whatever needs to be done, completed. How are your influencing skills?

Hi Giddo,

Lets face it: Builders do their work day in day out, therefore, have an upper hand when dealing with customers.

At completion, they will ask you to sign a document to the effect of saying all work has been completed. If you don't sign, you won't get your copy of Occupancy permit (therefore won't be able to insure the house) nor the keys.

By Victorian standard contract requirement, builders will come back in three months time to fix things under the three month guarantee period. If they won't, you would have the option of claiming the builder's insurance.

Best way to move forward?

If there is any important matter, don't sign up that Completion document.

eg. Gas appliances not working, External doors don't lock, Electrical lights / heater not working...

More minor things can be left until the end of the three month guarantee period. Make sure you won't sign anything at this stage unless things are completed to your satisfaction.

*** Important ***

1. At all time, keep a list of all defects and all your contact with the builder, site supervisor and their tradies, just in case you may need to use them in an insurance claim.

2. At all time, be nice and cool with the builder. He is your best hope for a speedy and cheap completion. A good relationship is always the best road to a happy outcome. A beer at the right time can do the wonder.

All the best

:)

Thank you all.
Especially you Kenster.You seem to have a good grip on builder/client relationships. (a relationship partly built on beer)

I have taken the following action:

1. Severely reprimanded the bank. I am sure my complaint will make it's way to the top, and eventually land on the desk of the CEO. Their share price will drop on the news.

2. Talked to the builder and 50% of the mino items are now fixed. Only 2 very minor items to be completed next week.

3. Had a little talk to myself for worrying too much.No reply.

Thank you all again.:)

:DYep,

All the items but one are now completed and we have the keys.

All is rosy again. I think it was just a bit of pre-handover stress, now gone, till next time i have a handover.
:D

Back