Booms bust labour market

I agree...we have only touch of the demand for resources.

We need more skilled immigrants.......given that we are a small country and because have a jobless rate of 5%...the only way to get these skills is via immigration.

People who say look after people here first have not idea what they are talking about. Most of the people in the 5% of unemployed don't have the skills, the desire or brains to be trained for alot of jobs on offer.

Australians will also have to get used to the fact most of these skills will come from countries like India, Malaysia, South Africa, UK, and Sri Lanka...as these countries commonwealth countries with similar training programmes.

Treasury believes the resources boom could last for a generation............Do you think SO?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/8895543/booms-bust-labour-market/

definitely a labour shortage here in the west.

and not just underemployment stats making that up, either. in fact, everyone i know in manufacturing and shutdowns and retail are all being asked to put in more hours. i know the extra working hours are going to see the average WA worker in a 45 hour week within 3 years at this rate.

i can't comment on the east coast because i'm not directly exposed to it.

I agree...we have only touch of the demand for resources.

We need more skilled immigrants.......given that we are a small country and because have a jobless rate of 5%...the only way to get these skills is via immigration.

We would do better to keep immigration levels lower. All we do in this place now is export our commodity wealth, while we manufacture almost nothing anymore. Other countries have to actually make stuff to export to pay for what they import. We are just a giant quarrie. The more people we cram into this place, the faster we have to dig up our wealth to fund our lifestyle, and the faster the party is over.

Australia is not a continent full of wealth. We are just an ordinary continent of moderate wealth and few people. As soon as we fill the place up with people we lose the one thing that makes this place so great.

Once we export all the coal and iron ore and gas and metals and everything else, then people will have to go back to work in factories and make stuff like other countries do to fund our lifestyles.

See ya's.

We would do better to keep immigration levels lower. All we do in this place now is export our commodity wealth, while we manufacture almost nothing anymore. Other countries have to actually make stuff to export to pay for what they import. We are just a giant quarrie. The more people we cram into this place, the faster we have to dig up our wealth to fund our lifestyle, and the faster the party is over.

Australia is not a continent full of wealth. We are just an ordinary continent of moderate wealth and few people. As soon as we fill the place up with people we lose the one thing that makes this place so great.

Once we export all the coal and iron ore and gas and metals and everything else, then people will have to go back to work in factories and make stuff like other countries do to fund our lifestyles.

See ya's.

Haha you'd think the right answer would be to direct all the profits from selling iron/coal into creating other industries and start innovating too...

Oh well I'm happy to just dig and ship if that's what people want. When party's over, see you on the other side.

My understanding is that 3% unemployment is full employment as 3 % of the population are incapable of work for variouse reasons so 2% looking for jobs or moving from one to the other.

See ya's.

If Aus is the world's quarry right now, where would we get the raw materials to make stuff in the future?

If Aus is the world's quarry right now, where would we get the raw materials to make stuff in the future?

I didn't say Australia is the worlds quarry. I said Australia is a quarry. There is nothing exceptional about our reserves of commodities. The US digs up 3 times as much coal a year as we do, but since they have 15 times as many people they burn it all them selves and have non to export. China digs up 8 times as much, but they have to import coal. The Poms were digging up 100 million tonnes a year using pick and shovel, 100 years ago, but have now run out. That's a quarter of Australia's production today.

Similar figures with a lot of our commodities. As soon as our population reaches 60 million we become a net importer of lots of commodities, and we already do import oil.

This idea that we can grow forever is just garbage. It's about time people stopped and looked at the limits of growth. Commodities are not unlimited, so neither is growth.

See ya's.

Last edited:
In pure surface area terms (M^2), more land disappears under housing slabs each year than what is dug up and exported.......:p

And yes come on down to the mining boom boys and girls, the country needs all the suckers it can to pay for it's flood levy and carbon taxes....wouldn't want the lower and middle classes to suffer...:rolleyes:

Ciao

Nor

a lot of the stuff we export has little long term value anyway - low grade iron ore (abundant everywhere), salt (renewable), coal (can only burn so much till we cook ourselves anyway, expiry date on this isn't far away, apart from coking coal), uranium (valuable but we have enough to power ourselves until we disover the key to immortality), gold (useless metal anyway) etc

gas is probably the exception? but even this is only providing a bridge until we can harness nuclear to power electricity properly?

Back