Becoming a Property Valuer

Hi All,

Thinking of potential jobs in the real estate field (other than sales) and one that came to mind was becoming a property valuer.. I'm sure there are plenty on this forum so if anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction I'd love to hear from them :)

What degrees/courses are required to get a foot in the door?

Thanks in advance.

Mate of mine has a degree majoring in real estate, and then did his time training and eventually sat some kind of exam.

Put aside around 6 years of your life to get there from scratch.

Ouch! Full time uni isn't an option unfortunately.. Well it potentially could be but obviously need an income to continue paying interest on the 2 x investment properties (1 of which will become my PPOR early next year with a $400k +/- mortgage..)

Will do some further research! Thanks guys/girls.

Requirements In Victoria

In Victoria to become a licensed property valuer you require a property degree (full time 3 years) and two years full time experience.

Hi

To dan_89, I noticed you are in Melbourne.

I am led to believe the only course in Victoria that allows you to become a property valuer studying off campus is the Bachelor of Property & Real Estate offered at Deakin uni with a choice of either a Management, Marketing or Sustainability major sequence.

You can do this course full time and/or part time and you can also do it off campus which is exactly what I am doing and have a couple of exams next week.

Here is the weblink to the course:

http://www.deakin.edu.au/future-stu...ocal&keywords=property&study_level=All+levels

After you do this degree you will require 2 years full time experience working under the supervision of a valuer currently registered with the api. However I have noticed that a lot of students are gaining part time employment whilst doing the course so by the time they have finished the degree they may have already done 6 to 12 months of this supervised work.

Feel free to contact me via pm if you have any other questions about the course and yes I do enjoy it as it has given me a lot of exposure and insight into the property industry that I have never realised in the past and I say that after working as a real estate agent in 1993, buying and selling property for a profit since then and doing some of my own property development.

Whilst the course has a lot of students wanting to become valuers, it is also a course suited to people looking to gain employment in large property development firms.

Regards,

alicudi

Last edited:
Also make sure the course is endorsed for Associate Membership CPV (Certified Practicing Valuer).

Some of the easier courses only allow for a lower level of membership.

Back