Basix

Whoa - just logged on so I need to digest all this. :D

I need the username and password so I can get into the information pages.:)

Answers in blue. Will answer what I've missed when I can get in to check the data you have entered.

Sorry about the multiple posts. I have just done one in the learning environment and passed (water 41%, energy 45%) BUT I am not sure about a couple of things:

1) The link I posted earlier said I could nominate 0 for grass and garden but it would not let me do that. I entered something else which was half of the garden that is shared with the house.

Haven't you got any garden around the flat?

2) The site size got me- so again I added what was solely for the flat with half of what is shared with the house.

That's fine

3) Heating- it doesn't allow for gas with no flue. We will be putting a bayonet fitting for a heater but that doesn't seem to have counted.

Not sure why? Maybe gas with flue is closest you'll get?

4) I thought the scores for energy and water were 25 and 40 but it shows 40 for both.

5) Insulation- It says ext wall- R 0.54 1.36 (or 1.9 including construction)
and

Flat ceiling and pitched roof- 2.5 roof: foil sarking.

I understand the insulation bit- I have to have 2.5 or higher rated insulation. But what does the 1.36 or 1.9 including construction mean?
With the R0.54, doesn't it mean I have to have something with this rating or above.

6) Rockstar if you can see a way to get rid of the water tank- unlikely I think, then I would appreciate your ideas. I think you were right when you said earlier there was no chance.

I need to get into the system to check

7) When talking about msq of indigenous/low water planting, is it referring to just dedicated land for the granny flat, or can it be anywhere on the whole site ie: related to existing house.

Dedicated to the flat I would say

8) Are the timber windows I described the category of 'timber clear glass" as I described.

Timber - single clear

9) When nominating the 450mm eaves that go over the windows, is there a vertical distance imposition?

Not unless double storey

I am attaching the report and look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks Rockstar. I rang the line today and I also worked out some things after i reflected.

The link I posted earlier said I could nominate 0 for grass and garden but it would not let me do that. I entered something else which was half of the garden that is shared with the house.

Haven't you got any garden around the flat?

I clarified this. It is right that with just one bedroom and no study I can put '0.' It seems you can add the zero, you just have to keep ignoring the prompt that says you can't, calculate, ignore the prompt, save, ignore the prompt and move to the next screen.

This means we won't need a water tank but now my social conscience is wondering if we should do it anyway!!

3) Heating- it doesn't allow for gas with no flue. We will be putting a bayonet fitting for a heater but that doesn't seem to have counted.

Not sure why? Maybe gas with flue is closest you'll get?

The woman on the info line said to just leave that blank.

7) When talking about msq of indigenous/low water planting, is it referring to just dedicated land for the granny flat, or can it be anywhere on the whole site ie: related to existing house.

Dedicated to the flat I would say

She told me the same thing! I won't need to worry now I think because I can enter the zero.

Thanks for your other clarification. Thanks also for giving me the confidence to have a go again.

Thanks for your other clarification. Thanks also for giving me the confidence to have a go again.[/COLOR]

Sounds like you're almost there. Just a tip - council have never checked my insulation to BASIX requirement. Actually they don't check much at all. They've never checked any "star" ratings for any tap, toilet or appliance! They're mainly concerned about me giving them a signed proforma certificate that I have complied with the BASIX requirements. This protects them from future liability.
Having said this, I always pretty well comply though there are sometimes some minor changes that are of little relevance to the overall ratings. It's always good to put, at least, the standard insulation under the roof and in the external walls as it helps greatly with heating and cooling costs and makes a more comfortable living space.

Thankyou thankyou Rockstar. I have just completed the basix certificate. I could not have done it without your help. I managed not to have a rainwater tank- I think it is because the flat is just one bedroom.

Now to find a builder that it not going to cost the earth!

Back