Asbestos course

One of my properties has asbestos in the bathroom. As it is quiet expensive to pay someone to remove it would it be worth doing the course myself to remove it. Has anyoe done the course? Will it save me money?

One bathroom shouldn't be too expensive. Have you had quotes?

We've just had two houses done. One was four full rooms (walls, ceilings and all fittings from bathroom and kitchen dumped as well), another room downstairs and a two separate toilets plus a small hallway. Cost was $5K.

Second house just finished today - much bigger job $9K.

I just had it removed from a bathroom and laundry (a decent sized wet area) and it cost $1800 inclusive of GST and carried out in what seems to be the most expensive city (large country town) in Australia when it comes to reno/building type stuff.

I wouldn't bother trying to save money on doing it yourself - you don't want to mess with the stuff.

Cheers

Jamie

It's not too expensive.. But the more you take out the cheaper the rate is i.e. $/sqm. A house I just had it removed from came down to $20/sqm. But a single bathroom would be paying the top rate $40-50/sqm.

It may be less than 10sqm? So you can take it out yourself. http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/asbestos/manage/removal.htm there's plenty of info online about how to take it out safely.

If it's say 30sqm and paying $50/sqm, $1500 isn't that much for the piece of mind ;)

One bathroom shouldn't be too expensive. Have you had quotes?

We've just had two houses done. One was four full rooms (walls, ceilings and all fittings from bathroom and kitchen dumped as well), another room downstairs and a two separate toilets plus a small hallway. Cost was $5K.

Second house just finished today - much bigger job $9K.

Those quotes look reasonable..might need to get the details off you if I can! I have asbestos that needs removing during a demolition. Couple of rooms that were added on to a house are all asbestos....part of kitchen is looking suspicious as well!

Back