Architecture Jobs

My sister just graduated with a masters in architecture and is having a tough time finding a job.

She is keen on melbourne and has been approaching the main firms down there but is yet to get a start.

Throughout her degree she worked at a couple of architecture firms in Brissy and I think her portfolio is pretty impressive for a graduate.

Anyone know of any architects in Melbourne recruiting at the moment?

Hey Aaron,

Not too far off topic: got any advice for my bro-in-law, currently studying residential drafting (I think cert IV this year, diploma next?).
Anything he needs to know that tafe won't tell him?
What are his prospects once he's done?

Cheers.

I imagine the variety, flexability and cost (and improved quality) of spec home building - combined with the rise of acceptance of draftpeople - has put a real ding in the demand of home architects.

20 years ago when spec home were very dodgy - and draftpeople were considered failed architects - I can see there was more demand and being "architect designed" was a major selling point.

Nowadays it really doesn't mean much.

If she can get into a niche - such as quality renovation, commercial (also suffering due to GFC#2), eco.

As for staying in "trendy Melbourne" - scoff - she needs to go wherever she can darn well get a job, and get some serious experience under her belt before having the luxury of picking and choosing, and believing she can call the shots.

I've offered to get her a job over here, but she seems set on working for a trendy Melbourne architect

while she's at it, she could go to the UK and try to work there too, i guess. London's pretty trendy....:confused:

i dunno - call me daft, i'd go where the work actually is.

no offence.

Hey Aaron,

Not too far off topic: got any advice for my bro-in-law, currently studying residential drafting (I think cert IV this year, diploma next?).
Anything he needs to know that tafe won't tell him?
What are his prospects once he's done?

Cheers.

if he does well he should be able to slot straight into a project builder's office, but i would recommend trying to get in with one of the groups on the WestBuild? group.

Is your sister on Linkedin? Some companies and recruiters go there when they are looking for staff. Easy way for them to view resumes without having to give too much away and to look at a person's details before contacting them.

Is she willing to do work experience for somewhere she would like to work? Like many other industries, architecture is more about who you know and what projects you've been involved in, rather than your marks. Does anyone at her previous employers in Brisbane have any contacts in Melbourne they could make a friendly call to?

I have a cousin who has just returned from a few years working in the US and is wanting "the perfect job" to land in her lap. After nutting out a potential networking list for her of architecture companies and associates she has a clearer direction for applying for jobs but also has been given a reality check that you can't always get the perfect job straight up.

while she's at it, she could go to the UK and try to work there too, i guess. London's pretty trendy....:confused:

i dunno - call me daft, i'd go where the work actually is.

no offence.

So it's now not ok to move to a city you want to live in and work there ?

Probably not the best plan for someone straight out of Uni. Get experience/work/a foot in the door where you can, then maybe later you'd be able to look at shopping your resume around interstate or overseas.
Not that it's not OK to move, just not always advisable.

Probably not the best plan for someone straight out of Uni. Get experience/work/a foot in the door where you can, then maybe later you'd be able to look at shopping your resume around interstate or overseas.
Not that it's not OK to move, just not always advisable.

But perhaps they want to live in Melbourne (?)

You can but you risk not getting a job and wasting study.

I started work as a engineer officer, then draftsman, then building designer and then residential and commercial build project manager and finally property development in all cases, had to move to get work.

Building is a very seasonal , fickle career. Design even more so. Why it is seen as glamorous when it is hard work is beyond me. Most designers say you need to be 40 to so anything good And you need to do as much as possible to get there.

The first years are critical... I now employ building professionals and the ones in their late 20's and 30's who have retrained are smashed but those who were on the job during Uni and before. Qualifications count for little against real experience, sorry.

Like most industries once you get in, getting to where you want to be is much easier.

Yes, Melbourne is the centre of good architecture in AUS but real work is better anywhere than no work there. Tell here to go local in any field she can get experience. The best designers: Architect or Building do that. Get a hew years and then move to Melbourne.

Regards,

Peter 14.7

But perhaps they want to live in Melbourne (?)

I'd love to live in the south of France ... or even stay on the coast of NSW ... unfortunately coal mine and steel industry jobs aren't there ... so, if one wants to work, one goes where the jobs are.

what?

no, i was meaning that melb is trendy :)rolleyes:) but theres not as much work there.

architects are leaving the UK in droves, but its still trendy to live there.

vous ne sais pas?

thanks for the replies all

Yep she is on linkedin

I advised her to offer to do work experience for a month free, nobody is yet to take her up on that offer... but she has a few "when we land a big contract youll get a start"

This strategy worked well for my wife, after completing a month work experience, they put her on as a graduate environmental scientist without ever having to go for an interview. Most others in her year are yet to get a real job... it seems to be quite tough out there dispite the low unemployment figures.

While I agree you need to go where the work is, I would prefer to see her stick it out and get in with a big architecture firm, rather than doing construction camps and other non process infrastructure mining related stuff. Gota start out right because it would be difficult to break in later.

Somebody has researched the Internet and found that her brother posts under a name which means fear of work. So they don't want to hire somebody tainted like that :)

Architects and draftees where I am are finding it tough. I suspect this may have to do with the fact that there are only so many ways to build a house.

My suggestion would be for Ergophobia's sister to consider relocating to Perth if she can't find work in Melbourne, but I think that there's a balance to be had. It's very easy for someone like myself to make this, without knowing whether she's got friends or a partner there.

However, I read an article that talked of jobs being lost in Victoria and created in WA, which, along with a slowing property market isn't going to bode well for her trade.

I think that it'd make a lot of sense to head out west. If there are cashed up miners in Perth, then it's likely that there'll be houses being built, and work for architects.

Failing that, being employed on mining infrastructure projects is a better place to be than an unemployed residential architect. :D

If she's looking for alternatives, then why not consider regional, or less obvious destinations. Some years back I read an interview with an architect who'd left London to work at Dualchas on Skye. She went from working on extensions and loft conversions to designing complete houses for an interesting practice. So heading out to Bendigo (or even further afield) might pay dividends.

A more risky alternative would be for her to tout her skills on Somersoft. Lizzie's looking to build a new home, and there are always refurbishment projects going on. She might be able to pick up enough to keep herself going.

Back