Arched windows to cover

We are doing a reno on a villa (ground floor) which has three arched windows off the living room. (I quite like them- reminded me of my fave "Playschool" window but I digress).

There is a standard aluminium sliding window and a seperate arched part immediately above.

We have used timber blinds throughout the unit; cut down to fit flush. These look great. We had quotes for doing a custom timber blind look in the arched parts. These were verrry expensive. No deal...

Some solutions we have considered:

1. Leave them as is: This is my wife's preferred option but I think, because of the height of the windows (it's easy to see out), a buyer might feel there is a lack of privacy (even though it is harder to see in from outside becuase the floor is higher than the ground level outside...)

2. Make something using the leftover blades (a bit like a chinese fan or make a frame and then scribe and cut the blades to fit) My idea but I don't have the skills/confidence to do this.

3. A fabric solution: make up a frame again and fit some fabric over.

4. Window tinting: not sure if this would look or if it would work any better than leaving it as is.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

longer drop

Use longer drop timber / timber look blinds and hang from above the arch off the wall?

Might look a bit wierd from inside, as not flush inside window sill.

But from outside? don't know.

Could buy one from SuperCheap A Mart & hang one there to see - return if no good..

Hi fatboy,

I think the best option would be to use timber blinds from the bottom of the arch down and use a short wall mounted curtain for the arch section.
That way you can still open and close the curtains for light/privacy and it should still look good depending on your colour choice.

I could be wrong.

Adrian

I also had arched windows in the lounge and went with timber venetians from Spotlight which i cut down for a nice fit. I also had a quote to do the arch bit but it was way too expensive. In the end i just left the arch uncovered and i think they look great with just the venetians dropping down from the bottom of the arch.

I would go with option 1 and leave them as is. As you mentioned, privacy is not an issue as no-one can see in.

How about getting some of those glass patterns for attaching to sliding glass doors.

If you attached them in the centre of the glass panel it becomes a feature and throws lovely patterns into the room. :D :D

Arched windows

Thanks for all the feedback. Some great ideas. What a great resource this forum is. :)

I think we are going to leave them unless we get some negative feedback from agents and prospective purchasers.

Thanks again

If privacy is a potential concern, you can get a matt contact adhesive paper to stick onto the glass. It turns the clear glass into frosted glass. Not sure if that makes sense?
Looks good and the light still comes through. I've done it once before and it was very cheap.
Of course I can't remember where the stuff came from. I bet it's easy to get from any big hardware store.
Scott

i believe kresta do a standard arch window cover. the one i saw looks like a fanned venetian blind, but they may have others.

depreciator said:
If privacy is a potential concern, you can get a matt contact adhesive paper to stick onto the glass. It turns the clear glass into frosted glass. Not sure if that makes sense?
Looks good and the light still comes through. I've done it once before and it was very cheap.
Of course I can't remember where the stuff came from. I bet it's easy to get from any big hardware store.
Scott

I've done this, to great effect, and it acts as a privacy shield and cuts down on light as well. Getting it, however, is trickier and I had to hunt around and find a supplier in my area who actually installs it for a living. Bought a roll for around $60 and spent quite a bit of time fiddling to get it right.
Definitely cheapest option.

I'm 99% sure it's a 3M product. And I bet there are different levels of transparency. The one I used was applied in conjunction with water. That gave it some 'slip' during application which helped.
Scott

depreciator said:
I'm 99% sure it's a 3M product. And I bet there are different levels of transparency. The one I used was applied in conjunction with water. That gave it some 'slip' during application which helped.
Scott

I'd say it was the same product then, as I had to use a mixture of water and detergent, as well as a squeegie to apply it properly. They also do come in different levels of transparency and patterns.

Arched windows

Thanks Scott, Lizzie and Jacque,

Once again, some great ideas. :) We are leaving them as is. Had a few potential purchasers and agents thru'- no negatives yet so can't be too bad.

Cheers

Tony

Back