Am I a tight a$$, am I doing it wrong?

that being said, I dont think the packers would be tight on anything!!!

Being tight is actually a relative term. To you Packers are not tight...but to someone like Bill Gates he can make the Packers lifestyle look like being tight :)

Cheers,
Oracle.

The best part of all, if you are a little tight and own multiple IP's people just make it out that you are a greedy person. They seem to think you are a millionaire but forget the costs involved in holding property.

TMNT from your post you don't sound like a tight-a$$ you sound responsible with your money and nothing wrong with that.
Me, I'm probably the opposite. I value my time more than I value the savings I can make doing a job myself over getting the property manager to hire a tradie to do it. I just can't be bothered trying to find the cheapest tradesman or spending my precious time at the IP doing manual labour to save a few bucks or even a few hundred bucks.

Plus if I tried to do it myself it would only end up costing way more $$$ than a tradie would have cost in the first place :rolleyes:

I'm a firm believer of not getting sucked in to a false economy ie buying cheap rubbish from KMart to save a few bucks over spending more money on quality things that outlast the cheap stuff for years.

I have similar habits. I always research before I buy. Depending on the situation, negotiate the price. Personally, I don't really put a dollar value on "time spent on research" cos I like doing the research.

I think 'Relationships' (family, friends & work ), 'Health' & 'Time' are much more valuable than anything else. To me, sacrificing any of the above to save money is totally pointless.

TMNT from your post you don't sound like a tight-a$$ you sound responsible with your money and nothing wrong with that.
Me, I'm probably the opposite. I value my time more than I value the savings I can make doing a job myself over getting the property manager to hire a tradie to do it. I just can't be bothered trying to find the cheapest tradesman or spending my precious time at the IP doing manual labour to save a few bucks or even a few hundred bucks.

Plus if I tried to do it myself it would only end up costing way more $$$ than a tradie would have cost in the first place :rolleyes:

I'm a firm believer of not getting sucked in to a false economy ie buying cheap rubbish from KMart to save a few bucks over spending more money on quality things that outlast the cheap stuff for years.

yeah agree, everyone has their values on their time, the people who are on $2000 per day, arent going to care if they pay $1000 for a $500 heater for example,

it all comes down to perspective and comparison and mindset , im not poor, well not as poor as I used to be,

if I save my $1 per meal, thats only $50 per year, it would take me literally 10 mins on gumtree and time management to save the $50

yet I feel pretty stupid worrying about this $1 at this point in time, sure I did it when I was a student, but I shouldnt be doing it now!!!!!!
my logical side is saying, now you are playing with biggger biccies, worryabout saving $1k there instead of $1 at your meals!!

ooppsss..im just rambling now

Add: another useless ramble, i dont think ive ever bought anything at the cinema candybar,EVER, I always go to the supermarket, and stock up drinks,and candy, for $8, I can get diabetes of which would cost me $20 at the candybar

Last edited:
Add: another useless ramble, i dont think ive ever bought anything at the cinema candybar,EVER, I always go to the supermarket, and stock up drinks,and candy, for $8,

Us also, okay not drinks just a chocolate sugar rush :D

Cocoa is a veggie right?

Being tight is just a habit.
If you started poor and built up over many years, the habit tends to stick.
Once you've made it though, it's probably a good idea to start breaking the tight **** habit.
Go and spend some money on stuff or experiences you would have never considered previously.
You might actually feel good about it, rather than feel like you're continually ripping yourself off, reward yourself.

I get called a Jew by a couple of friends when I complain about paying retail prices and $10 for a beer or $30 for fish & chips at a pub. The funny things is these friends are 29 living at home rent free who can't afford to go out more then once a week. I have multiple properties and like living knowing I have money in the bank whenever I need it.

I'll buy things I believe are worth it, for example I've been wanting a new tv unit for a while now. Yesterday a found out a Harvey Norman near me was genuinely closing down. Went it and got a new display tv unit 50% off.

I think it is really relative. I used to be a very big scrooge but then would spend up on large items like computer, gadgets etc. I still do to a degree.

Sometimes I think what is the point but then I remember by being a scrooge I am able to buy the bigger things that I want and need. Rather than small things that just end up in the bin really.

From what the OP has said you really dont sound that bad. It is good to be prudent in your spending mate.

I get called a Jew by a couple of friends when I complain about paying retail prices and $10 for a beer or $30 for fish & chips at a pub. The funny things is these friends are 29 living at home rent free who can't afford to go out more then once a week. I have multiple properties and like living knowing I have money in the bank whenever I need it.

I'll buy things I believe are worth it, for example I've been wanting a new tv unit for a while now. Yesterday a found out a Harvey Norman near me was genuinely closing down. Went it and got a new display tv unit 50% off.

I've got friends, relatives like that. Live lavishly on credit. That scares me, even though I have more debt (Property Loans) on a single income. I suppose that would scare them as well :)

Being tight is just a habit.
If you started poor and built up over many years, the habit tends to stick.
Once you've made it though, it's probably a good idea to start breaking the tight **** habit.
Go and spend some money on stuff or experiences you would have never considered previously.
You might actually feel good about it, rather than feel like you're continually ripping yourself off, reward yourself.

Very wise comments.:)

haha, I just realised,after going to this place last night,

that I subconsciously,

look at the menu
look at the prices,
look at the difference in price between the pricey dishes, and cheap dishes
and work out whether the xtra is worth it, eg $1 compared to say $5

if its not worth it, go the cheaper option,
if its worth it or more, go for the more expensive option
I very rarely go for the super expensive stuff eg at a steak restauarant, as I feel the wagyu although is far superior quality, I feel probably has a far higher margin because people who usually order it dont care how much they pay........

im feeling pretty stupid at the moment:D

Choosing if the higher priced option represents good value to you and then either buying it or not because of the perceived value seems rather sensible to me.

Some of our apts are furnished, including providing linens. The sheet sets are white...or they used to be. Tenants didn't launder them all that often.(we buy them by the dozen)
I mentioned to Rob we should dye them, so we can use them again.That made me think back when I was a teenager. This was before I even knew what a secondhand store was. My mother gave me my 'baby bonus' which was $22 month. Out of this I was required to buy any school supplies, lunches I wanted to buy, and clothes (we didn't wear uniforms).
I remember buying large boy sizes of clothing, because it was cheaper. I'd take the sides in on the t-shirts, so they would fit better. Occassionally I'd buy white t-shirts and dye them.

Rob and I are travelling from Melbourne to Queensland, and there seems to be a lot of places that offer $10 lunches. What they offer, I have no idea.

Rob and I are travelling from Melbourne to Queensland, and there seems to be a lot of places that offer $10 lunches. What they offer, I have no idea.

There is a pub I know located next to a Westfield's, downstairs from the food court. They do $7 lunches. Several items on the menu, one of them Steak, salad & chips. Much better value that the food court.

I guess whilst we are all confessing,

I was annoyed that the rental car company I normally go through ( while in Melbourne ) when I am home (FIFO from onslow 3:1) over my daily rental going from $15.20 to $20.60 per day! Yet some of my colleagues are looking at the new range rover sport :p

N

Hi Invstor
Yeah, I definitely live on the wrong side of town. We have some great restaurants right here that do $12 lunches during the week when we are at work. The Indian where the Motorcycle club meets once a month costs us about $60 and I cringe. The food is very tasty, and I am working on my own tighta$$ne$$ habit, but I'd rather spend $80 at the Eatons Hill Hotel for 2 house brick sized steaks and a drink each than a bowl of Indian, a mountain of rice (which we dont eat) and a coffee each. The Indian at the bottom of my street does banquets for $20 a head BYO, whereas our friends are from all over town and wont travel out here into the "country".

Back