Air con and tennants

Hey all
I have a tenant in my house and they still want aircons i said itll be $10 a week extra and the pm said i have to wait til the 8th month next year for rent increase cause thats when the lease expires.

Is that correct or not??

Then the tenants will have to wait until the 8th month next year for aircon!
Unless you specified to the prospective tenants that aircon will be installed and haven't done so I don't see why you would be obliged to instal aircon at all. I am pretty sure that if you and the tenants agree then changes can be made to the lease.

I had a issue like this. The wanted AC paid by me. I said I would if they paid a higher rent. They didn't want to. I told PM that I wouldn't install it then but would allow them to have it installed by a licensed tradie. At their cost. However they would be obliged to leave it as a fixture. This went back and forth until November that year as I recall...It got warm. They caved.

Guess who agreed to $20 a month more ? Split cost me $1300 installed... Tip : Service calls outside warranty are expensive. Take the extended warranty. My unit has 8 years.

Make sure you document the remote !! Expensive to replace.

Hey all
I have a tenant in my house and they still want aircons i said itll be $10 a week extra and the pm said i have to wait til the 8th month next year for rent increase cause thats when the lease expires.

Is that correct or not??

We don't know where the house is but generally you get what you pay for. If it is a hot area or house then you will get more for it or it will be easier to rent when /if it has AC.

If it was not AC when they applied then you are not obligated to install it, if they want AC then you are entitled to charge extra rent.

AC units do wear out and you need to cover your costs and return on investment.

Wylie is right, your PM is not much good :(

I believe from reading SS that if the house has a gas heater and it stops working, you are pretty much obliged to replace it or get it fixed. I don't know if your tenant would accept a different sort of heater that would cost more to run.

Notwithstanding the previous comment, if they are on a month to month lease, would you be allowed to write up a brand new lease starting next month, and write into it that there is no working gas heater? (Maybe have it removed completely?) If they are happy to accept the electric heaters in exchange for no rent increase (because it will cost more to run them) and happy to sign the lease in that format, would that get you out of having to do an expensive repair for such a short time frame before you demolish.

Would it hold up if they take you to tribunal?

Can you ask someone in the field who knows for sure?

Hi

I think that neeko's PM is still on "L" plates.

If you are keen to fit an aircon in your property and the tenant is keen to pay an extra $10 per week, then changes can be made at any time to cater for this adjustment.

I am not sure though if the changes are simply made to the existing lease or if a new lease is drawn up and if so it would be a good idea to check what fees if any that your PM will charge you to make the changes to the existing lease or draw up a new lease.

Don't forget to add a point that the tenant is responsible for cleaning the filters every 6 months.

Regards,

alicudi

Back