2 week reno - what can be done?

So I've just scored 2 weeks off work in October (woohoo!) and thought it might be a good time to try to spruce up my slightly sad IP...

I think all it needs is a bit of a facelift courtesy of Mr Elbowgrease but I'm wondering how much I can realistically get done in 2 weeks?

I've had a good search through the forum on what others have accomplished in their IPs (some amazing results!) but I don't want to leave the place worse than when I started because I've over-committed and run out of time!

Below is my facelift reno wishlist and some pictures ... any suggestions on what I should concentrate on or other considerations would be greatly appreciated :)

Wishlist:
- Paint interior
- Rip up carpets / polish floorboards
- Update kitchen (maybe just painting doors / new handles etc?)
- Update bathroom (the picture of the crisp white bathroom is what I would love mine to be like)

Attachments

• 7321840_640x.jpg
    7321840_640x.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 7321839_640x.jpg
    7321839_640x.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 20100716101433.jpg
    20100716101433.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 153
I hope there is more than your elbow greese alone. Call in the mates brigade & throw in the beer - cld be poss w manpower.

lol, they'll be a few mates involved...they just dont know it yet ;) I'm thinking the bathroom might be a project for another day and maybe to focus on the floorboards and painting for the biggest overall effect?

Hi Porp_e

If you're planning to do it 100% on your own it could be a bit of a challenge. A few clients and people I know around the place have done sweat equity projects, some things I have picked up from them include:

1) Plan in detail (spend more time planning then actually doing - You can have this done before you commence the reno)

2) Bulk purchase all the materials you need and store them on site (You will still be going back to Bunnings for your 2nd, 3rd and 5th trip)

3) If you can handle it live at the site.

4) Stick and add in Gumtree for a labourer. They are often cheap and good ones can save you heaps of time.

5) Have a list of everything you would like to do and rank them for maximum impact. Once you run out of time, that's where you stop.

Areas to look into:
- Repaint interior of house
- New window treatments
- Respray kitchen doors (replace the glass ones to standardise them) replace handles and resurface bench top (could need a professional)
- Depending on the age, new appliances (stainless)
- resurface tiles and bath (need professional)
- use glass or at least a new shower curtain
- Polish floor boards
- Replace light fittings and face plates. (Need sparky)
- New modern door knobs

I don't think painting the kitchen doors will change anything. Personally if you are going to change doors, handles AND benchtops I think it's easier and quicker to just get a new kitchen. That size kitchen would only be $2500 installed to replace.
Painting can take more time than you think if current paintwork is poor.

Also if you get the floors sanded you can't get access while polish dries so you lose a few days there.

Hard to comment on the bathroom as all I can see is brown curtain. What's behind it? Maybe just a new vanity and paint (and get rid of the curtain of course). A glass half screen? if you need something.
If you plan well you can get a lot done in 2 weeks.
Good luck.

Kitchen -
Option 1 - wrap the benchtop with granite overlay, change handles to satin chrome T bars (use same size so you can reuse holes), paint overhead in a colour to match the floor cabinet doors
Option 2 - new kitchen of white cabinets, satin chrome T handles as above, benchtop of a colour that is cream/taupe so darker than cabinets but not too contrasting
Get rid of blind - replace with a plantation shutter or white timber venetian

Bathroom - hard to see? - white fixtures but walls and tiles should be a taupe/cream colour. Dulux Linseed 1/4 strength and match tiles. Paint the tiles would be good option. Floor colour should be a darker colour than walls in either a taupe or grey. Whatever the first thing you see when you walk in the room (which might be your shower?) should look great. So in this instance you might need to get a glass screen for the shower. Not sure what your vanity looks like but if it isnt the focal point in the room you might be able to get away with it. Get a new mirror. It needs to be as wide as your vanity and sit on the edge of the vanity. Change window covering as for kitchen.

All depends on the value of the property and what you wish to achieve.

Sorry, bathroom mirror - mirror should be as wide as vanity or tiles (cant see from the photo) and should start at height of window and finish on top of tiles. This creates balanced lines in the bathroom

Bathroom ceiling has some nasty bubbles on it,
Possibly a water leak from above?

Two weeks with good organization it should be a breeze ;)

Two weeks with out organization could turn into two months :(

Thank you for all your suggestions and information everyone, I'm already starting to get a better plan / idea...lots of food for thought that's for sure.

Wishlist:
- Paint interior
- Rip up carpets / polish floorboards
- Update kitchen (maybe just painting doors / new handles etc?)
- Update bathroom (the picture of the crisp white bathroom is what I would love mine to be like)
2 weeks might be a bit short,with the bathroom if you intend too reset the layout then the plumbing will have to be also reset also too the new layout and the cost factor would be high in materials and labour,kitchen may well be the same plus the lic elec costs and plumbing again,painting
-the floor alone would be a 2-3 day job to let it set with 2-pac,you don't need a lot of people in a small work place just 2 people who can work and think like one with a big sledge hammer and a lot of cash..

Back