Going to WBC's budget briefing lunch next Thursday...

Question: How do you know when you spend waaaay to much in interest with a bank?

Answer: When your own "Senior" Personal Banker invites you to a business lunch and presentation by Bill Evans and you're seated at the main table with the State Manager...

:D

But it should be fun! I'll try and post the guts of what Bill Evans has to say. Will be intersting on the back of today's 25bp cut in the cash rate by the RBA. My banker reckons fixed rates won't move much though.

Cheers,
Michael

Have invitations to the ANZ and WBC budget dinners. Not sure if I'd want to hear what they have to say to be honest. The WBC guy has consistently gotten a lot of things wrong every time.

Evans is notorious for bad calls on the AUD and he laughs about it. the food is nice and it's still good to hear what the sharpest minds in the country are thinking. Westpac is forecasting another .75 drop in official rates which is awesome news for property bugs

Evans is notorious for bad calls on the AUD and he laughs about it. the food is nice and it's still good to hear what the sharpest minds in the country are thinking. Westpac is forecasting another .75 drop in official rates which is awesome news for property bugs

Is it? That's basically suggesting a recession or worse is in the post.

I'll post up what Bill has to say. I wasn't aware he was calling another 75bp drop in the cash rate, that is interesting...

My banker invited my wife and I so we figured its a nice way to spend a Thursday afternoon getting wined and dined on your banker's bill.

Will be fun.

Cheers,
Michael

I'll post up what Bill has to say. I wasn't aware he was calling another 75bp drop in the cash rate, that is interesting...

My banker invited my wife and I so we figured its a nice way to spend a Thursday afternoon getting wined and dined on your banker's bill.

Will be fun.

Cheers,
Michael

yeh here you go:

http://www.euroinvestor.com/news/20...tpac-sees-2pct-interest-rate-by-2014/12326497

now you can focus on what's on your plate instead of what they are going on about up on stage :p

Is it? That's basically suggesting a recession or worse is in the post.

property booms are typically ignited by this sort of interet rate movement. the needs of the economy will be greater than the RBA's desire to control asset prices, so they will just have to let it run.

The WBC guy has consistently gotten a lot of things wrong every time.

An economist gets things wrong most of the time? You're joking me!

I don't know why people bother listening to economists. It's just a fancy word for 'I have no idea what's going on, because I don't live in the real world and just make up a bunch of crap to justify my fat paycheck. Just between you and me, this whole economics thing is a great way to make a crust without doing anything that could actually be considered useful'.

Sharpest minds in the country? I don't think so! The sharpest minds in the country are doing something valuable, like medicine and science and all that good stuff. You know, stuff that matters.

Sharpest minds in the country? I don't think so! The sharpest minds in the country are doing something valuable, like medicine and science and all that good stuff. You know, stuff that matters.

sad to say but a great deal of the medical profession are purely money motivated. the entire health system including the link to drug companies is actually quite sad from a humane perspective. Medicine is just as much an industry as any other. Economics presides over all of that - which is why the banks weren't allowed to fail, at an incredible cost to the australian people.

Hi,

Went to the lunch with Bill Evans yesterday and it was great. We were front and centre and I sat next to the State Manager and my wife sat next the National GM of Commercial. We also had the CEO of On The House at our table on the other side of the State GM who I said hello to at the end of the presentation. I felt quite small in vaulted company...

Bill's presentation was great. He is a very good public speaker and seemed to have his finger on the global pulse. I've tried to capture some of his key messages here:

Forecasts: the government and Westpac:
  • Economic growth to be sub-trend slowing to 2.75% in 2013/14 as headwinds persist.
  • Global outlook a risk.
  • Housing recovery to be mild and business outlook uncertain suggesting risks skewed to the downside.
Housing outlook:
  • The current recovery has been slow to form and despite a quickening in early 2013 is uneven across segments and states.
  • We expect more of the same as price expectations show gains well-entrenched but 'consumer caution' to remain an ongoing constraint.
Australian Interest Rates:
  • Our long held target of 2.75% was reached in May as the RBA rightly saw fir to use some of the 'scope' provided by low inflation.
  • With our 2.75% target achieved we now choose to quantify the downside risks on rates.
  • Expect a trough in early 2014 at an even 2%.
Australian Dollar:
  • Lower interest rates will help bring fair value down but while QE persists so will AUD over valuation although we expect the gap to narrow from 8-10c now to around 5-6c in 2014.
Some additional mental notes I took:

Bill is predicting fixed rates will fall by another 15bp to bottom out around mid 2014. However, he said when the US stops printing rates will take off and turn sharply. He advocates locking now as when they turn they will turn quickly and why risk missing out when their only 15bp off their potential bottom at his best guess. And he's the only economist out there calling a 2% cash rate too so he could be wrong.

Sydney to lead the property market in the coming year. Sydney to benefit most from the current monetary settings. The stimulatory effect will most directly lift Sydney's particular business market and he expects Sydney property values to close the under-performance gap to the other major cities that its experienced through the recent cycle.

Brisbane next best placed but will be flat for another 12 months. Melbourne might rise slightly but then flat and has very little medium term potential for upside and will under-perform Sydney and Brisbane to a lesser degree.

The unemployment rate is set to peak in mid-2014 at around 6.25% nationally.

Underlying inflation to stay low despite carbon tax leaving a lot of scope to lower rates further.

Rental yields are close to current mortgage rates. Investors in Sydney are piling back into the market, but FHBs are absent. He believes that incentives targeted towards new construction are less appealing broadly and that states should revert to all encompassing FHB grants to kick the market off.

He believes the RBA raised rates in the last cycle prematurely to stop the residential market taking off because the mining sector was taking off and they couldn't afford a boom in both segments. He believes this time that mining is dying, maufacturing and services are dead and the RBA will continue to cut rates to kick off residential construction as inflation is persistently low and they need residential construction to fill the gap left by mining.

He also advocates big infrastructure spending by the federal government as they have a strong AAA credit rating and should do the heavy lifting. State credit ratings are weaker but federally they could do a lot if they were so inclined. Our government debt at 10% of GDP is low by any standard, compared with NZ at 25%, Canada at 30% and then the basket case economies like the UK, France and US all around 80% and up from there.

He said the next big risk in Europe is Spain. I can't remember the specifics but it involved the bond market and defaults etc. By then I was onto my third glass of red and finished a couple of beers...

Hope that gives some insight into his thoughts and a little bit to chew on for all the budding Somersoft economists out there.

Cheers,
Michael

Thanks for taking the time to give us that report Michael, despite the sniping comments at the beginning of this thread suggesting that you were having a boast. You have consistently shared real info about your succeses & failures in your property journey which is honest & brave& shows humility. I note some of the posters who are lauded on the site show so much arrogance - only talk about their succeses & don't really give any practical info-one of the reasons I just don't post much. Anyone else can criticise me for this - I have so much scar tissue on my back I won't be affected. LOL
" Boots dirty- filthy Rich"

Back