Granny flat design - feedback pls

I have a bit of issue with the neighbour.
He asked me to replace the fence for privacy reasons. He wanted me to organise it. So I said ok. After getting 9 quotes, I got back to him with a rough price and asked if he was happy to go ahead. He called and screamed at me for not getting back sooner!

He claims that he asked 10 months ago but I know that is a lie because my 3rd son just turned 10 months old. Definitely he asked later date than that.

He claims that this new higher fence is required because of the new Granny Flat development. He claims that the land is raised and also the side walkway is now a main entrance to the granny flat.

There is no windows or doors facing his land.

I had no benefit in doing this fence apart from keeping the neighbour happy. Now, I think he wants me to pay for the whole thing.

Any thoughts?

Well......if there's nothing wrong with the existing fence, I wouldn't be doing it at all.

Well......if there's nothing wrong with the existing fence, I wouldn't be doing it at all.

That was my point too. There is nothing wrong with the fence except it is a bit short... may be about chest high. Still, to keep the neighbour happy, I said ok and agree to organise it all.

For our granny flat we put up a few fence height extenders that cost about $35 each from Bunnings.

They are made specifically for this and really added some privacy. They are made from pine and each one covers a section of fence - the slot over the top of the fence and then you just screw them on.

Was a quick and easy fix for us in the areas where the new levels made the fence too low.

That was my point too. There is nothing wrong with the fence except it is a bit short... may be about chest high. Still, to keep the neighbour happy, I said ok and agree to organise it all.

I don't think you are going to have a happy neighbour, no matter what you do.

He asked you to replace the fence. My take is that he expected you to pay for it from the start. If you do pay, he'll still be angry because it took so long. If you don't pay.....well, he's already angry. He'll just hold onto it for longer.

We have a place where the neighbour had just done his house up and wanted a new fence in the same colour scheme as the one on the other side of his property & his facia's. He asked us to pay for it. We said no, there's nothing wrong with the existing fence (there wasn't). Next thing you know, the fence has been ripped down & a new one standing in it's place, together with a bill for us to pay half. We didn't pay, as there was nothing wrong with the existing fence.

Fast forward.....this has been maybe 8-9 years. More, maybe. He's still angry! Just had a tenant leave & was told by someone that this neighbour was going to make things hard for new tenants. He tried his best. New tenant signed up & first week complained that the neighbour said we were tight ar$es & would not spend money on the property. Property Manager set the tenants straight, but he's still holding a grudge.

Granny Flat

I have a house sitting on 760 sqm in Melbourne eastern suburbs. Is it possible to put a granny flat in the back.

Whom should i be consulting for advice in Melbourne?

Any help will be highly appreciated

Hi Saibaba,

Is the granny flat to be used for dual occupancy i.e. rented out to a non-dependant? Victoria has tight regulations on the construction of granny flats and if they are used by a person dependent to the main household and not a temporary structure then a planning permit is required as with any other second dwelling/dual occupancy development.

If you PM your address I can respond with site identifying information removed in this thread for other to see for future reference.

Saibaba, your property would allow for a granny flat to be constructed at the rear of the property. This would require a planning permit from the Council for the second dwelling. The dwelling would need to comply with the Rescode including the neighbourhood character and parking requirements.

If you intend to only rent out the granny flat and not sell it off separate to the main dwelling in the future then you would not be required to subdivide the property and would only require the permit for the new building.

Depending on where you are located in Australia

60 m2 is the limit in NSW for a "Granny Flat" That one bedroom alone of 9.5 m x 6m is just about your limit.

If you want to put that onto your property then you will need proper DA Approval for it (can take months) through council.

Designing to put two bedrooms, good sized kitchen, bath, and storage, separate WM space, and a decent sized lounge into 60 m2 is an artform in itself in a small space!

In regards to rentability, separate entry points and fencing is needed if having two rentals from the one property. If you have any questions please email me directly.

Cheers

After looking at many granny flat designs I thought I would give it a go. Can you please give me your feed back?

My aim is to:
1. give maximum distance from the main house
2. give maximum backyard to the front house
3. give a bit of ‘bigger’ feel

To achieve the first two aims I thought I had to go with a narrow design and place it along the back fence as far as possible. It is a bit like a battle-axe development.

Attached design is 1:200.

Any suggestions to improve the rentability (is that a word?) of this granny flat?

Fencing and privacy issues

Hello

With privacy laws a standard fence (5 or 6ft high) should be appropriate (depending on council), unless it is a 2 story construction and the upper floor has privacy issues with windows overlooking.

In WA if you build upstairs you need privacy windows (high windows only) where you can see your neighbour's property on a 45 degree angle from that window area

In the first instance I would approach your local council and ask their requirements. (and note the time and day, person you spoke to and ask if you can get something in writing).

Chris,
Did you even bothered to looked at the date this question was posted? More than two years ago! A tenant is living there for more than a year now!

You may have to do a bit more if you want to attract any business :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Regarding date -

It does not matter the date, what does matter is the relevant information that someone in a similar situation might read. People in the housing industry can procrastinate for years before making a decision in building a new home, granny flat or investment property as well. I do not always read the 500 odd posts afterwards always :)
If someone needs help, they are very welcome to check out the My Flats website and ask for HELP!

(Ps, I work very hard to get MyFlats quality designs and builders name out there, we are finally getting more referrals leading to contracts now)

Cheers
Chris

Back