Sometimes life throws a curve ball....

A few weeks ago, you may remember I was in Beijing and then Thailand. In Beijing, I really struggled with the dust, and was coughing and felt like I had an allergy/ hayfever. It settled down when I went to Thailand, but I was still having coughing fits several times a day, and also waking up coughing at nighttime. So, when I got back home, I went to the Dr to get it checked out. After a chest xray, CT scan and biopsy, we discovered I have lung cancer. I'm 42 (and 11/12th!), and I've never smoked a cigarette in my life!! (not even a puff!!)
The cancer is in both lungs, lymph nodes and is a particular aggressive cancer, which spreads quickly, but usually responds to chemo well. The average age of onset is 71 years old, and less than 3% of cases are seen in people under 45 yrs. The particular type of cancer I have (small cell lung cancer) is almost never seen in a non-smoker, unless they are a passive smoker (which I'm not), or have a family history of cancer (which I don't)................ so I've come to the conclusion that I'm just special!! ;)
I found out the biopsy results just over a week ago, and had my first bout of chemotherapy today. I'm feeling quite positive and determined to do all I can to fight this thing.... I'm going to kick butt! But it is quite a shock, and a chance to re-evaluate life, the universe and everything! The good thing about it is I can see the strength of friendships I have all around the world.... I have an army of people supporting me and cheering me on.
One of the things I've been thinking about is how the personality traits that get me into trouble in day to day life - determination, strong will, stubborness, pragmatism - are all perfectly combined to get me through a situation like this.
Its going to be an interesting journey ahead in the next few months. Its likely to delay my investing journey for a while. But that's life, and my main "job" in the next few months is to beat this thing.
Its certainly a curve ball in my nice safe little existence, and it will make a good story once we are through it all!

cheers
Pen

OMG! That is a huge curve ball. I hope you caught it soon. It sounds like you have the right frame of mind to kick this thing. Good luck, don't worry about us here, just get yourself better.

Take care.

Hi Penny. That is such a shock and I am thinking of you.

Your positive attitude will be a big plus, and the odds sound like they are in your favour.

Please keep us updated.

Keep strong!!

Hi Penny

Saddened to hear this

We are praying for you.

Im sure lots of people have advice for you...............you already know that the biggest pre determinant to the outcome of treatment is your attitude and sheer drive to get on because you aint finished yet.

ta
rolf

Oh God Penny that is not good news at all- you hang in there and give it everything you've got. My thoughts are with you and the family and I hope you get a positive outcome before long. Chemo isn't much fun and I wish you all the very best with it. Life does throw us curve balls, I agree, but you have a very positive outlook and what sounds like fantastic support so trusting the journey will be a little easier for you. All the very very best :)

Lemons to lemonade

Great attitude Penny.

Whilst you can't challenge your diagnosis you can (and will) defy any verdict and prognosis that some negative professionals you come across might speak of. Be prepared for some of them on your journey. :cool:

Lance Armstrong did not allow any professionals to speak into his future.........he created his own world, as you are doing also.

Strength to you.

Keep positive, hydrated, look at sensible dietary issues to augment your alkalinity, recovery and immune system, laugh, meditate, visualise your healthy outcome, and all the other things that help focus on restoring your health and distract you from the current situation. If you're so inclined looking at resources such as the Gawler Foundation:

http://www.gawler.org/ or other similar programs.

All the best......livestrong :)

Hi, Penny,
As one who is also battling cancer, I can empathize with you.
You have all the right qualities to beat this thing, just stay positive and remember that cancer is only a word, not a sentence.
My prayers and best wishes go out to you at this rotten time.
Kind regards
Amy

survivor story 1

Dr Ian Gawler AO was diagnosed as a terminal case aged 26. Tumors had metastisized to most parts of his body, including his brain. His situation was so bad that a leg was amputated and he would have coughing fits during which he would spit out chunks of bone and blood.

That was over 30 years ago. Today Galwer is alive and well and does valuable work with cancer sufferers. He was awarded the Order of Australia a few years ago for his wonderful work. I ran into him at Melbourne University and it was one of the greatest experiences in my life. Please, please go to a good bookshop and get a copy of his book about how he overcame cancer.

We may never have met you Penny & Amy. But we are with you.

If anyone can share some +ve survivor stories, please post so we can all learn.

This certainly was not the "curve ball" I was expecting to read.
Your positive attitude will be your biggest asset.
Rob and I wish you a speedy recovery in beating this.

My thoughts are with you Pennyk,

What a great attitude. No wonder you have so many friends and an army of people all over the world.

Player seems to have suggested some good advice again.

Keep us updated and let us know how you are getting on.

F

Add me to the above support crew Penny. I'm behind your great attitude 100%+
No matter what happens never lose the unconditional love for yourself, family and others. More strength to you. :):):):):)

I wasn't expecting such a curveball!

Good luck Penny & Amy, it's great to see both of you have a great frame of mind going into this and we'll all be there supporting you along your journey.

Best of luck, keep positive and let us know how you go over the coming months :)

Gee, I'm really sorry to hear this.

There is so much to be said for a positive attitude so keep that up and fight this thing.

Make sure your Dr. is very proactive and up to date and perhaps look into any promising clinical trials happening that may help.

More and more people are beating cancer than ever before.

A friend who had melanoma and was given a poor prognosis has just surpassed the seventh year, after a recurrence of his original melanoma which he got about 9 years ago.

He was also diagnosed with another melanoma 3 years ago (not a secondary)which they caught early but required little treatment.

A great attitude, a modified trial (had to have a half dose due to adverse effects on the liver) and a great Dr. made all the difference with him.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, Penny, what a shock this must be to you and your family. My prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery are with you at this time.

You will see this through !

Keep the faith
Amelia

Thanks everyone for your positive thoughts....

Great attitude Penny.

Whilst you can't challenge your diagnosis you can (and will) defy any verdict and prognosis that some negative professionals you come across might speak of. Be prepared for some of them on your journey. :cool:

All the best......livestrong :)

I didn't need the professionals to give me the rundown.... I'm a compulsive googler, so I knew all the stats, clinical guidelines, evidence based practice etc before I'd even gotten to the oncologist. I prefer to know the worst case scenario, and then I can work my way up from there!! I just have to protect my hubby though, cause he can't handle the negative stuff.

Given that most people are over 70 and have smoked for 50 years, I'd already decided that I wasn't in the same category as all the survival (or not!) statistics...

I have to run my own race and not base my experience on the statistics!

cheers
Pen

Dr Ian Gawler AO was diagnosed as a terminal case aged 26. Tumors had metastisized to most parts of his body, including his brain. His situation was so bad that a leg was amputated and he would have coughing fits during which he would spit out chunks of bone and blood.

That was over 30 years ago. Today Galwer is alive and well and does valuable work with cancer sufferers. He was awarded the Order of Australia a few years ago for his wonderful work. I ran into him at Melbourne University and it was one of the greatest experiences in my life. Please, please go to a good bookshop and get a copy of his book about how he overcame cancer.

We may never have met you Penny & Amy. But we are with you.

If anyone can share some +ve survivor stories, please post so we can all learn.

I literally just got a copy of the book in the mail from my mother in law... I'm glad to hear your recommendation, cause she's very "out there" in some of the things she believes and I was a bit worried about it.. But I'll have a read of it tomorrow. Pen

Back