Unit renovation/layout change

Lose the fireplace. It's an 85 square meter unit.

Hi SOP,

I agree for the size usually I wouldn't contemplate it. I have to go off similar sales in the area and similar features. out of the best 8 sales, 5 had fireplaces/electric wall hung fires/or similar and similar size to this one.

I cant ignore that ;)

Leo

The biggest value add I can see is removing the laundry walls and cupboard space. Add an European laundry to the east wall. But that wold depend on if these walls were structural or not.

Id like to but strata wont allow any walls gone..

Leo

Hi Onyx, Thanks for your comments/feedback.

With regards to the flooring for the unit we are going with wooden panels like the pic attached and same color. For bathroom floor tiles we are getting the greyish one in the pic.

Cheers

Leo

Nice, nice.
Can I just make a slight suggestion - even though I believe you have a designer, so I don't want to step on any toes with this - but I'd be careful with using too much grey/cool colours and glossy surfaces. It could make it look a bit cold and very masculine.
If you are open to it, I would maybe look at Oak flooring or similar, which will add some warmth through the light wood tones whilst maintaining the sophistication (think slick Scandi design) you are after. Also, texture. Maybe look at charcoal penny round tiles for the bathroom floor, and matte black tapware (for kitchen and bathroom). This will add texture, plus keep it looking super slick and modern, yet accessible to the market you are targeting.

Sorry, I cannot help myself with design stuff! :)
If you want any examples of what I'm talking about let me know and I can send you some images.

Otherwise, I would make sure the furnishing and styling introduces these textures and colours to contrast the finishes you have used.

Nice, nice.
Can I just make a slight suggestion - even though I believe you have a designer, so I don't want to step on any toes with this - but I'd be careful with using too much grey/cool colours and glossy surfaces. It could make it look a bit cold and very masculine.
If you are open to it, I would maybe look at Oak flooring or similar, which will add some warmth through the light wood tones whilst maintaining the sophistication (think slick Scandi design) you are after. Also, texture. Maybe look at charcoal penny round tiles for the bathroom floor, and matte black tapware (for kitchen and bathroom). This will add texture, plus keep it looking super slick and modern, yet accessible to the market you are targeting.

Sorry, I cannot help myself with design stuff! :)
If you want any examples of what I'm talking about let me know and I can send you some images.

Otherwise, I would make sure the furnishing and styling introduces these textures and colours to contrast the finishes you have used.

Hi ONYX,

Thanks for all of your suggestion mate. much appreciated. I will definitely take it on board before I give the final 'go ahead'. Oak floor is also OK and I was contemplating it... yes it will add warmth. With regards to Charcoal penny round tiles..ah.... no...i don't think it fits this demographic. With regards to matte black tapware..NOW were onto something.. I like it indeed and I think it will contrast the marble. Going to look into it for sure!

Thanks for your feedback mate!

Leo

No worries at all Leo!

The penny rounds are a personal fave, so that's why I mentioned them ha. But my point was to create some contrast and texture. The floor in the image you posted looked super shiney and kind of took away from the beautiful marble you want to feature. So anything that is more of a matte texture, and maybe darker would look great. If you went for larger, dark tiles it would look really architectural and sophisticated.

I have attached some images for reference - black taps in an amazing bathroom (I LOVE this!), a kitchen/dining with marble, oak floors and black tap combo, and a fireplace option with marble trim - which could be another option instead of the whole thing being marble?

Attachments

• lush bathroom.jpg
    lush bathroom.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 62
  • kitchen-dining.jpg
    kitchen-dining.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 74
  • fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 71
No worries at all Leo!

The penny rounds are a personal fave, so that's why I mentioned them ha. But my point was to create some contrast and texture. The floor in the image you posted looked super shiney and kind of took away from the beautiful marble you want to feature. So anything that is more of a matte texture, and maybe darker would look great. If you went for larger, dark tiles it would look really architectural and sophisticated.

I have attached some images for reference - black taps in an amazing bathroom (I LOVE this!), a kitchen/dining with marble, oak floors and black tap combo, and a fireplace option with marble trim - which could be another option instead of the whole thing being marble?
It would be interesting to see if the comparable apartments have wood, tiles or carpets for the floors. Quick research and the answer is yes.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-botany-117256031

Hi SOP,

I agree for the size usually I wouldn't contemplate it. I have to go off similar sales in the area and similar features. out of the best 8 sales, 5 had fireplaces/electric wall hung fires/or similar and similar size to this one.

I cant ignore that ;)

Leo

Do these comparable properties have the fire place in the living room?

A fireplace should be sat around it. it should be a feature of a room. The location on your plan is more in a walkway. I don't think in that location it will add any value.

Perth guy, Similar look/materials I am using on this reno.

Btw that's a house u posted not a unit.

Cheers

leo
Oh yeah, a house. Just comparing levels of finishes/price range and they seemed to match up.

Considering the plans of apartments on the market seem to have the fireplace in the living area, is it a possiblity for you to put the lounge on the opposite wall and put the tv and fireplace where the lounge currently is?

That way, when you walk in the door and turn right, the first thing you see is the swish fireplace, instead of the lounge. It might make it a bit more of a focal point of the room. I will see if I can diagram it. Hmm. I don't think I like it next to the door. It's a pity you can move the door around the corner :p

Attachments

• relocate fireplace.png
    relocate fireplace.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 60
Oh yeah, a house. Just comparing levels of finishes/price range and they seemed to match up.

Considering the plans of apartments on the market seem to have the fireplace in the living area, is it a possiblity for you to put the lounge on the opposite wall and put the tv and fireplace where the lounge currently is?

That way, when you walk in the door and turn right, the first thing you see is the swish fireplace, instead of the lounge. It might make it a bit more of a focal point of the room. I will see if I can diagram it. Hmm. I don't think I like it next to the door. It's a pity you can move the door around the corner :p

HI PerthGuy,

Thanks for your diagram and idea. I think it would work but im not sure if its 'better' to be honest... If I hang the fireplace on the lounge wall then it wont be recessed... whereas if I put it on the feature wall it can actually be recessed into the wall. Was planning to also have some floating glass shelves on top (not very deep so it wont protrude as u walk past at all) for further increasing the functionality of the wall.

Thanks again mate

Leo

HI PerthGuy,

Thanks for your diagram and idea. I think it would work but im not sure if its 'better' to be honest... If I hang the fireplace on the lounge wall then it wont be recessed... whereas if I put it on the feature wall it can actually be recessed into the wall. Was planning to also have some floating glass shelves on top (not very deep so it wont protrude as u walk past at all) for further increasing the functionality of the wall.

Thanks again mate

Leo
Having a look at the plans I think your idea will work better. It was worth thinking about an alternative though ;)

Can the wardrobe in the smaller bedroom?
I can't see the dimensions being noted down, but it appears the room is quite narrow and long.

A 3x3 room is more appealing than a 2.4 x 3.6m room in my opinion (but without knowing the dimensions, moving the wardrobe may be a waste of time).

double vanity in bathroom if you can fit it in?

they sell ones on the small end

Not enough space Cadence. But agree would be nice :) But from the sales I have seen I don't see it as an issue really. Buyers don't expect DV in a unit this size.

Leo

Can the wardrobe in the smaller bedroom?
I can't see the dimensions being noted down, but it appears the room is quite narrow and long.

A 3x3 room is more appealing than a 2.4 x 3.6m room in my opinion (but without knowing the dimensions, moving the wardrobe may be a waste of time).

Hi Nek,

Nothing I can do about the room sizes. :) I have to make do with the bones of the place as best I can.

Cheers

leo

Hi Nek,

Nothing I can do about the room sizes. :) I have to make do with the bones of the place as best I can.

Cheers

leo
Not asking to change the room sizes.
Im saying to relocate the built in wardrobe of the smaller room to the wall that is opposite the window if that is possible.

That would result in a wider, but not so deep room.

For example, if the current room size was 2.6m x 3.6m, moving the wardrobe would result in a room size of 3 x 3 instead - therefore allowing better placement of the bed (i can see in the floor plan the bed is squished up against the wall)

Not asking to change the room sizes.
Im saying to relocate the built in wardrobe of the smaller room to the wall that is opposite the window if that is possible.

That would result in a wider, but not so deep room.

For example, if the current room size was 2.6m x 3.6m, moving the wardrobe would result in a room size of 3 x 3 instead - therefore allowing better placement of the bed (i can see in the floor plan the bed is squished up against the wall)

oh ok I see what your saying. I had a look at the diagram and I see the space from the wardrobe to the bed looks very narrow.. in reality there is more space in between so it doesn't have the squeezed feel. hmm I don't think moving the wardrobe would work. Not enough space on the wall side..thanks for your suggestions!
Leo

Back