Need advice on my house layout

Hi guys,

We bought the property last year and haven't done a lot of renovation.

We purely just tried to pay down the mortgage and save along the way.

Now we find that we need an additional bathroom/ensuite in the house. It's still an early stage of research on what is the cost effective way to add one and we will see whether the current saving will be enough to realise the aspiration.

Here is the layout : ( in the attachment )

Really appreciate any feedback or ideas.

Attachments

• floorplan1.jpg
    floorplan1.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 183
I'd be sussing out whether you can break through from the bedroom into the laundry - how long is the common wall into the laundry? can you get a door into it (even if it is a narrower door eg 720mm). Pop another opaque window into the laundry/new ensuite to face the garden. Dividing wall in the laundry & new window.

I'd be sussing out whether you can break through from the bedroom into the laundry - how long is the common wall into the laundry? can you get a door into it (even if it is a narrower door eg 720mm). Pop another opaque window into the laundry/new ensuite to face the garden. Dividing wall in the laundry & new window.

thank for the reply .

Unfortunately , the plan isn't scaled correctly.

The length is only around 50cm.

You could put a ensuite along the south wall of bed 2, cutting the robe back by 1m to fit it in.
What's the floor, timber bearers/joists, so you can get easy access to sub floor?

How attached are you to the red plant in the garden? could you fill the void behind the bedroom and beetween the garage? See sketch 1 its easier than me explaing:p and while your at it with new walls you might as well go for sketch 1a to get the whole room bigger.

Otherwise go with Ace, it is the larger room and makes sense, but that laudry is very odd and must be annoying to use! is the ldy and garage all part of the main house structure?

and to take it to the next level and go all out, take one of the car spaces and just have a single garage but have a humongous main bedroom!!

Attachments

• floorplan1.jpg
    floorplan1.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 123
  • floorplan1a.jpg
    floorplan1a.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 130
Hi guys,

Now we find that we need an additional bathroom/ensuite in the house. It's still an early stage of research on what is the cost effective way to add one and we will see whether the current saving will be enough to realise the aspiration.

I agree with the others about the laundry - it appears oversized relative to other rooms in the house. When you do a larger renovation you may want to consider how you can relocate this.

Anyway I also see two other options for you.
1. Move the front door to the north wall (assuming up is north) opposite the spiky plant so you would enter straight into the living room. That space where the entry used to be could now be taken up by bathroom, with the east wall joining the current east wall of the current bathroom. You could split the current bathroom/toilet in half and extend into that space giving you two bathrooms side by side. You would also need to adjust the inverted L shape wall between the kitchen and living room to make room and maybe close up that gap in the kitchen that is currently right opposite the front door.
2. Take some space from Bed 2 and maybe also steal a bit from Bed 3 to make an ensuite but it will be small.

A third option is to go up but that would be a much bigger and more expensive project.

vtt

Hi guys,

I'd probably put it in that section between the garage and Bed 1. Make access through the front window as the room has an additional window on the laundry side for light and ventilation.

You could put a ensuite along the south wall of bed 2, cutting the robe back by 1m to fit it in.
What's the floor, timber bearers/joists, so you can get easy access to sub floor?

Hi Ace ,

thank for the idea.

it is on concrete slab hence the plumbing might been an issue.

The size might be bit small for ensuite if I get your idea correctly ( see attached )

Attachments

• bed2.pdf
    75.6 KB · Views: 83
How attached are you to the red plant in the garden? could you fill the void behind the bedroom and beetween the garage? See sketch 1 its easier than me explaing:p and while your at it with new walls you might as well go for sketch 1a to get the whole room bigger.

Otherwise go with Ace, it is the larger room and makes sense, but that laudry is very odd and must be annoying to use! is the ldy and garage all part of the main house structure?

and to take it to the next level and go all out, take one of the car spaces and just have a single garage but have a humongous main bedroom!!

thank for the drawing Bob.

Love the Idea of 1a picture.

I dont think we can live with 1car space at the moment though.

What do you think will be the next step to find out the cost etc ?

Should I engage the architect or drafter ?

I agree with the others about the laundry - it appears oversized relative to other rooms in the house. When you do a larger renovation you may want to consider how you can relocate this.

A third option is to go up but that would be a much bigger and more expensive project.

vtt

I would love to say the third option will be the best however the cost will be way out of our saving so far .

We planning to do extension at the back yard in future.

Laundry Access?

It has been our major factor when we bought the house.

Yes , we need to go all around the house the access the Laundry.

I was thinking to even make the sliding door in the ensuite so we have at least an internal access from the house rather going all around the house to do washing.

My wife had been pretty vocal about it too.

Thank for the ideas so far guys.

If you have some other ideas , please feel free to share it.

No way that will up the price heaps.

For starters find a local builder or chippy to give you an idea. Depending on what's there to work it could be a big job to match in or it could be simple. Get a couple out to give you options.

Now... Someone will probably mention council and approvals... It gets tricky and depends on your local council. If your staying there forever or long term you could do it and be happy with it, then leave it for kids to worry about when your in a nursing home!:D

Technically you probably need approvals etc but my thoughts on the brains trust in councils isn't high up so id just do it and then cop the heart ache later down the track. But you need to look into it and do what your comfortable with!

Back