Working from home? Pro's and Con's

On the subject of virtual offices - What is everyones opinion on the value of a prestigious address vs say a P.O. Box?

I think that depends on the nature of your business. Are your clients easily impressed?

The only time I ever have my address on correspondence is for official documents. Otherwise it's just email and phone number.

I use my accountant's PO Box as my registered business address and use that for any official documentation or where I don't want to publish my home address (eg if the data is going to show up online).

The hardest thing for me was to segregate home time and work time and not being distracted by things that needed doing. Also managing the expectations of others - that work time is that, not housework time, not half day social catch up time etc.

For the positives, as others have mentioned, wearing what I want, no commute - the 2-3hrs I save from not commuting I do other stuff which I didn't have time for before like yoga, pilates or a jog before work, take the dogs for a walk after work, then there's the money savings in commuting costs, food costs and then for me it's the lifestyle benefit. I feel much happier and healthier working from home. I'm not the type who needs social interaction so don't mind not seeing anyone. I do get cabin fever occasionally though, but that's what weekends are for!

http://twentytwowords.com/what-if-t...ife-meetings-painfully-accurateand-hilarious/

Slight segway, but hey, funny video, and a glimpse into an hour or two of my everyday life on the phone conference. And, I do not really work at home that often, I find myself working longer hours if I am at home.

Story of my life! that was good, thanks for the laugh!

There was a telecon set up with an hr notice at work for a big announcement from one of the managers. Invite was sent out to about 60 people. Manager tried to start on time but kept getting interrupted by people logging in which plays over the person talking. He then got the sh**s and just kept talking. Meeting was over in under 15 mins and I had to find out afterwards what it was about.

On the subject of virtual offices - What is everyones opinion on the value of a prestigious address vs say a P.O. Box?

AIUI you cannot have a PO Box as the registered address of a company. Mine is currently registered at Regus, Rialto Towers, but I am paying $2K a year to have odd bits of mail taken in. Until October that is - decided to cancel and switch to my home address (didn't want to do this before but have decided any risk is near nil) and was reminded it's a 12 month contract so have to let it play out.

AIUI you cannot have a PO Box as the registered address of a company.

Just use your accountant's address as the registered address - any other address you use is then just for correspondence or vanity, depending on your requirements.

My employer has people working from home (interstate) and the main Con's from what we see are the interruptions with their family life and lack of interaction with the rest of the office. The Pro's have already been stated by others and it all seems good in theory, however I don't think everyone is suited to it.

Back