Small Lot Code Brisbane

Does anyone in the forum know of or has got a single storey/lowset past Council recently with a double garage on a 10m wide (narrow lot) block.
Apparently it is possible even though it is against the intention of the code. I think two garages would add value when reselling rather than the Council enforced single garage. Any Town Planners/Draftsmen/Certifiers/Developers out there able to enlighten?
Thanks
Hound Dog :)

Last edited:
On a double storey house I have got loads through. I havent done a da on a single storey house for a long time. On a single you would need to do something with the design so that the garage doesn't dominate the frontage.

Does anyone in the forum know of or has got a single storey/lowset past Council recently with a double garage on a 10m wide (narrow lot) block.
Apparently it is possible even though it is against the intention of the code. I think two garages would add value when reselling rather than the Council enforced single garage. Any Town Planners/Draftsmen/Certifiers/Developers out there able to enlighten?
Thanks

That's simple. A single storey dwelling can only have a single width garage...well what constitutes single width? That would be the QLD Development Code Part 1.2 Section A8 which states that min. 5.7m internal width is a double garage. So anything less than that is technically a wide single width garage. This complies with the small lot code, I have seen this many times. You can still easily fit 2 cars in there.

scott&joy - I think you have nailed it. Definitely 2 garage and probably 10 m frontage. Search of BCC showed no recent DA application for the address. That implies that the development was 100% compliant and was probably signed off by a private certifier.
Google provided a link to another forum on the same topic allbeit a little out of date http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17827&hilit=Brisbane+small+lot
"Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone had experience of building a single story house in a small lot in brisbane. I was not aware of the small lot code when I signed a contract for a small piece of land and now I am stuck in the fact that I can't build a double lockup garage since my lot is less wider than 15m. Spoken with a town planer today who advised that a single garage can be defined with a maxium width of 5.7m but can't find anthing to support it. So I was wondering if anyone in this form can help to clarify the issue, that would be mostly appreciated. Thank you. First time to post and wish everyone have a good weekend."
99% of the respondents towed the BCC small lot code. Respondent fatboombah alluded to the possibility.

"I know this is responding to an old post, but I too have been struggling with the small lot code and based on my reading and discussions with Council, a double garage is acceptable.

If your house is within the building envelope specified in the small lot code, then the remaining elements are not applicable (including the garage and al fresco restricitions). There may be other codes which may restrict driveway width and garage locaiton (such as the Character Code), but even these seem to have the flexibility to accomodate a double garage."
Any further information on how to overcome these restrictive elements of the small lot code would be welcomed.

HoundDog: You can't exempt the garage from the small lot code if it is outside the building envelope (i.e. required setbacks), that requires impact assessable planning approval from Council. You can exempt things like a 6x3 carport or a 16sqm roofed patio at ground level etc. which are outside the envelope but not garages.

Like I said, make the garage less than 5.7m wide and it's considered a single width garage. On a 2 storey dwelling you can also have a double width garage if you overshadow it by 1m.

As gaiusb has mentioned, if you reduce the garage width to 5.7m, the proposed garage is considered single width and therefore A7.4 of the Small Lot Code is N/A. We have received confirmation of this from Brisbane City Council previously.

The only problem would be if you wanted to locate the garage outside of the Small Lot Code Building Envelope. If you set the garage back so that it is within 20% of the average setback of the adjoining houses, your garage would be compliant with the provisions of the Small Lot Code and would not require town planning approval.

If it is outside of the Small Lot Code Building Envelope, as gaiusb has mentioned, you will require an Impact Assessable application which may not be supported by Council.

Liam

Back