Privacy .../

Currently contracting to a multinational company who is splitting into 2 here in Australia and New Zealand by July 1.

From an IT point of view we are 'cloning' all their systems so new company starts operating July 1.

Question came up around confidential staff HR files stored on file servers and if this information is covered under privacy laws in either Australia or New Zealand. Tried google but couldn't see anything.

Anyone know what protection employees have with files about them stored on a company system ?

If the company is going to place data which is governed by Australian privacy laws in another country then they need to have policies surrounding this.

Generally most multi nationals will have an international policy which uses the country with the highest/stringent levels of security for all the countries so that they all comply.

From recollection - I think France has the most stringent laws so this is the one used by most multi nationals but I could be wrong as it's been awhile since I did my privacy and data refresher

If the company is going to place data which is governed by Australian privacy laws in another country then they need to have policies surrounding this.

Generally most multi nationals will have an international policy which uses the country with the highest/stringent levels of security for all the countries so that they all comply.

From recollection - I think France has the most stringent laws so this is the one used by most multi nationals but I could be wrong as it's been awhile since I did my privacy and data refresher

I believe there is also a requirement to advise staff that personal information may be being sent overseas. Clear policies, and the ability to enforce them, are required.

Currently contracting to a multinational company who is splitting into 2 here in Australia and New Zealand by July 1.

From an IT point of view we are 'cloning' all their systems so new company starts operating July 1.

Question came up around confidential staff HR files stored on file servers and if this information is covered under privacy laws in either Australia or New Zealand. Tried google but couldn't see anything.

Anyone know what protection employees have with files about them stored on a company system ?
How about obligations to keep tax file numbers etc confidential? Passing them onto an entity which does not employ the employee would seem to be poor practice.

Back