How much to bring new build to turn key stage

I'm doing some numbers for my upcoming build and it is blowing my mind how much extra I will need to spend once the house has been built and handed over. I am looking at a home built by the likes of clarendon, plantation, metricon, mccarthy, etc. They just build a basic home and the rest is up to me to kit it out to a rentable state. The build is in Brisbane and the numbers I have are:

Antenna - $350
Solar hot water - $4,500
Floor tiles (110 m2) - $5,000 (budgeted ~$45 m2 installed)
Carpet and Underlay (140 m2) - $5,500 (budgeted ~$40 m2 with underlay and install)
Aircon (2x 2kw + 5kw ) - $5,500
Concrete driveway (80 m2) - $7,000 (budgeted ~$90 m2)
Concrete alfresco (20 m2) - $2,000 (budgeted ~$90 m2)
Concrete sides (60 m2) - $5,500 (budgeted ~$90 m2)
Fencing boundaries (50 m) - $5,000 (budgeted ~$100 pm)
Turf (140 m2) - $1,200 (budgeted ~$8.50 m2)
Wall mounted clothesline - $250

This so far adds up to $41,800 :eek::eek::eek: and I still haven't accounted for the following as well as any other things I may have forgotten. And this is on top of a normal build cost :mad:.

Lighting outside
Trees x2
Side gate
Front mailbox
Window screens
Curtains / Blinds

Are my numbers correct? Seems a bit high to me. How do people get a new build to a turn key stage at a cheaper rate?

Last edited:
Tiling too low unfortunately.

Tilers will wants (in WA anyway) $45m2 just for the install. Looking at purchase price of $20m2 + for purchase. Allow $70m2 at least.

Thats a lot for concrete though, is that for washed aggregate? Plain concrete is far cheaper if you are happy with it. If not, allow $40m2 and pave it.

Thanks Boeman. I'll revise my tile budget up.

I was going for exposed aggregate concrete cause it looked nicer. But after adding up my numbers so far i'm thinking plain concrete will have to do. If I revise it down to $50 m2 for normal concrete it should save me $6,000 which I can put towards the tiles and other unaccounted for costs.

Still depressing how much extra I have to add to bring the house up to a turn key stage. Need to find ways to make savings or do it on the cheap.

May I ask what the lock up cost is?

And...

Construction?
Square metres?
Floor design
Spec level

Your tiles will cost about 25 - 30 per metre for niceish stuff
Not sure about labour but perth is always a lot more expensive

I was going for exposed aggregate concrete cause it looked nicer. But after adding up my numbers so far i'm thinking plain concrete will have to do. If I revise it down to $50 m2 for normal concrete it should save me $6,000 which I can put towards the tiles and other unaccounted for costs.

Still depressing how much extra I have to add to bring the house up to a turn key stage. Need to find ways to make savings or do it on the cheap.

What area is it in?

If you are renting why bother with all the concrete areas?
By the time you sell how will they look

Do you have a deck on the place? I would think way more valuable than concrete area but that's just me

Solar hot water? Why spend the money

It looks like a build cost of around $250k to lockup stage. Then extra $50k to finish house to turn key stage and rent out. Need to find ways to bring this $50k price down.

House will be double story on small lot. 4 bed, 2.5 bath, double garage. Total size around 250-300m2 with internal livable area around 200-230m2.

Project homes usually have small decks. Not a fan of them. Think they are a waste of space.

Chose solar hot water so that tenants are not bothered with changing gas bottles all the time.

I need that much concrete to go all around the house. It is on a small lot so not much space between side of house and fence. I'm just gonna concrete it all.

Speak to the larger tile shops, some do offer/supply install at very competitive rates.

Concrete I really would shy away from if trying to save money. They will hit you with extras for pumps or manual handling of barrows to get to the sides. Paving labour is one of the cheapest trades out. Sweep in and hose some pave set, and seal it. As good as concrete if done property. Pave 75%, then do some mulch gardens. Cheap, low maintenance and more than presentable.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, have 0 experience with building outside of WA.

It looks like a build cost of around $250k to lockup stage. Then extra $50k to finish house to turn key stage and rent out. Need to find ways to bring this $50k price down.

House will be double story on small lot. 4 bed, 2.5 bath, double garage. Total size around 250-300m2 with internal livable area around 200-230m2.

Those prices sound about right. I've just spent the last 2 weeks immersed in project home brochures and getting rough figures from builders. I'm looking at narrow lot homes of between 250-270sq. So I can compare apples with apples (which is extremely difficult and I'm sure done on purpose) I've been asking for turnkey pricing. Being in Sydney I'd rather it all be done by the builder anyway as the time and effort post handover may end up more expensive by using independent contractors.

Many builders won't prove turnkey or ask me for specific items I want in my turnkey price. Very frustrating as being a non builder I don't know what's missing in their standard pricing.

So far I've been quoted a turnkey for a 27sq house of 280-290k, a 29sq at 305k(but rising as not full turnkey) and another 29sq at a touch under 300k.

Back