Granville & surrounds

Hi All,

Just wanted to get a few insights into the area from a PPOR point of view. I am looking for 3 bedroom house or 2 bedroom with scope to add another bedroom.

I am hoping to spend 500-550. It could be more as I have a PPOR apartment in marrickville that has good CG but I desperately want to keep from a long term point of view. If I sell marrickville I have a bigger budget but crystallise any gain. If I keep marrickville my budget goes down significantly from a serviceability aspect.

Anyway, looking into previous posts the general theme is 'not where I want to live'. Crime stats do not paint a pretty picture either. However marrickville had the same problems so I want to give it the benefit of the doubt.

The place has good transport connections to the city and infrastructure given proximity of parra.

I have a wife & child and prob another sometime soon so schools are important.

I have heard that more toward parra is nicer. If so, is this defined by north of the M4? I also heard there are nice federation homes around William st which is south of the M4 and described as not so desirable. So if anyone can give me any guidelines on areas or pockets that would be great.

I am not ruling out surrounding suburbs either. I am just in the early stages of looking and thought I would start at Granville.

Thx
Nick

With a budget of 500-550 you would struggle to get a townhouse, let alone a house..I don't know Granville much but north of Parramatta, in Westmead and Wentworthville, that's the starting price for villas/townhouses.

I don't want to get myself into trouble but unless you are of a heritage that is dominant in Granville it will not be great for family life IMO. As for schools I'm not sure there are any of standout around there either. One primary school has dramatically changed its teaching hours so if your wife is working it may not suit to send your child there - think classroom teaching ends around 1-1.30.

Lots of areas south of the M4 have been rezoned for units, so the area is changing dramatically. Still a lot of DOH properties/low demographic in the south.

On the positive, trains are great from Granville. A lot of people make the drive to the station from surrounding suburbs to avoid the slow suburban trains.

Looking at schools, the best reputations seem to be those on the northern side of the highway toward the hills district. The prices are significantly over your budget though.

You may be able to get a house for around 500K if you look slightly further west and are fine to do a reno.

Back