Buying a H&L package - negotiation tips

I'm helping a friend of mine buy a H&L package in regional Vic. The estate seems a little slow moving, and range from 3/2/1's for $295k and 4/2/2's for $330k.

I think the 4/2/2 is better bang for buck as you'd surely get another $80-100pw for the extra bedroom and garage space although his budget is really limited here... the $295k is a stretch. I can't help but think the extra $10-15k for another bedroom is such great bang for buck though!

Being a H&L package it's sold with a fixed price sticker, although as my Dad always said 'everything is negotiable!'.

I'm thinking of keeping the price the same but going for higher quality fittings (e.g. more tiled area - esp in high traffic zones), that type of thing.

Any other 'items' or tips that can be negotiated on a H&L package.

Build start date is something we obviously don't care about.

We got tiles in current PPOR and have had wooden floor boards in previous PPORs. I have a friend who has installed vinyl plank. It is a high quality lino that looks like wood, wears well and can be buffed up as the years roll on and is reasonably priced.

We will try it in the kids room once the texta out ranks the carpet :)

Ask the sales person what else they are prepared to chuck in if you proceed with them and see what they say. They usually have some room to move especially if it is slow moving.

Is this for an investment or PPOR? Just stick to cheap. At that price point no one notices anything different you put in anyway. Do you think FHBs know the difference between laminex and marble? Blanco vs Miele? Porcelain tiles vs ceramic tiles?

its dificult negotiating with developers and builders. And they are very good at pretending to negotiate, so be careful.

Yeah, I figured as much.

Just thinking Tiles in the high traffic area because they are so hard wearing. This is for an investment.

I'll ask them what they can do and see what happens.

I'm helping a friend of mine buy a H&L package in regional Vic. The estate seems a little slow moving, and range from 3/2/1's for $295k and 4/2/2's for $330k.

I think the 4/2/2 is better bang for buck as you'd surely get another $80-100pw for the extra bedroom and garage space although his budget is really limited here... the $295k is a stretch. I can't help but think the extra $10-15k for another bedroom is such great bang for buck though!

Being a H&L package it's sold with a fixed price sticker, although as my Dad always said 'everything is negotiable!'.

I'm thinking of keeping the price the same but going for higher quality fittings (e.g. more tiled area - esp in high traffic zones), that type of thing.

Any other 'items' or tips that can be negotiated on a H&L package.

Build start date is something we obviously don't care about.

I am in Perth, when the market is slow the builders will include all sorts of stuff from fully ducted aircon., white goods etc. Shop it and compare apples with apples, size of the home/specifications.

As far as L&H, I would look at what is in demand in the area before I built, very important for end value, no point building something that wont sell. Get your friend to phone agents.

I was building 200 sqm home, double garage, 4x2, theatre, games, family. Higher brick courses 31c, in kitchen/family area, quality tiles, spec up, full tiled bathrooms, stone bench top, overhead kitchen cupboards. Keep everything neutral but desirable, all bedrooms mirrored wardrobes will make the rooms look larger. Split system air conditioner a must family/kitchen area.

MTR

To wrap this up, we did manage to get quite a few nice extras thrown in.

Hard timber floor coverings to all but bedrooms, evaporative cooling (~$5k worth) and a previously expired promotion was re-enabled for us (spend $5k get $11k worth of extras - door handles and what not).

As expected they wouldn't discount the package price, but 'add' to it rather.

Back