How to value this property?

Can I grab your fellow smartest on SS please

Property for sake, asking $370k, 2000sqm, house needs a lot of work, new kitchen, bathroom, paint, floors, outside weatherboard, rewire, lets say $30k

I need to verify but subdivided block agent reckons $110k each, lets say $100k.

House subdivided on 1000sqm, renovated about $240-$250k, agent reckons $260-$300k,

Considering its considerable renovation and time, how would you value it

For the record a property on 800sqm close by sold for $160k with a house that apparently was a knockdown or required a lot of structural work

To me if a block is worth $100k, then you can build a cheap house for $150k, so a second house being worth $250k doesn't seem right either

Overview: Three main methods of appraising property.

* The first and most common is the comparison method. You need to find at least 3 similar sized blocks and find what they've SOLD for recently. Then you need to find at least 3 1000sqm blocks and see what they sold for. Compare the size of the land, the quality of the capital improvement and the location too. To do this you'll need to be fairly familiar with the stock in that area. If prices are undisclosed just call the agent who sold the property and they may tell you.

* The second method which is less common is the summation method. Simply work out what the cost of land is per square metre in that area and multiply it by the lot size/s. Work out the total cost of what the house would take to build today and add that onto the total. The HIA (http://hia.com.au/) has price guides on how much it costs to build houses/units. This data is available for purchase through the AVG but can be pricey.

* The third method uses the rent to ascertain price, but that's only really for commercial property.

If you want to learn more there is some information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_estate_appraisal#The_cost_approach
(I've not read it so I'm not sure how helpful it'll be though.)

----

Basically, your best bet is to get as many like for like comparable sales as you can and note these things:

Land Size: /sqm
Accommodation Quality: Poor, Average, Updated, Renovated, New
Days on the market:
Listing Price:
Selling Price:

house.ksou.cn is a great free resource you can use for sales information but it's limited to NSW & VIC at this stage.

Once you've got a collection of data you'll be confident enough to decide if your aspirations are feasible. If you're not sure, I find plotting the recent sale prices on a chart/graph much easier to see and come to a conclusion on, ideally you'd want your price in the lower half of the range.

Before going through all of this research though you'd be best calling the local council and gaining an understanding of their attitude towards subdivision in this area, particularly with this lot. If there's already precedence set on the same street then you'll have an idea but talk to planning and get their opinion first. Never take an agent's word for it as they can just say STCA as a waiver.

Also before researching check the contract to make sure there aren't any encumbrances on the property that'd stop a subdivision such as an easement or single dwelling covenant to save yourself wasting time.

Remember that, depending on your area, subdivisions can take anywhere from 8 weeks to 24 months to be approved. Make sure you've budgeted for the time spent waiting, and have extra money for drafts people for any revisions that come down the path.

Make sure there's a substantial upside if you're planning on doing this. I usually aim for a 30% profit on paper to give anything a try and the real returns come out at 10% - 20% depending on the unforeseen events that can occur with builds. It's not a hard and fast set margin but it's a reasonable way to protect yourself.

Other steps you may have considered yet:

1. Tax Advice on the development from an accountant. CGT can ruin any profits.
2. Lending, make sure you've got pre-approvals for more than you intend on spending so you don't get stuck.
3. Legal advice, be sure to use a solicitor for these projects.
4. Architect/Builder/Draftperson - get quotes
5. Most importantly be sure you structure this correctly, a financial planner is a good option here as sometimes accountants just look at tax rather than future aspirations too.

If this sounds like too much work you could save time and pay $500-$2000 for a feasibility study.

Last edited:
thanks jake
the post was not about how much is a xsqm vacant block worth ,or how much a renovated house on xsqm block,

it was more about how you guys analyze a block that has a run down house on it and that can be subdivided the land off,

ie how do you analyze reno vs selling land off, i mean there is no point making 50% profit of a normal subdiv or reno, and doing it twice for the same amount of gain

It really doesn't matter what your intentions are as the evaluation process is still the same. The comparison will be your best option as you won't have to guess what the capital improvement is worth.

You need to collect enough data from comparable sales to understand:

Property in its current state is worth 'x'.
Property when sub-divd is worth 'y'.
Property when renovated is worth 'z' + yield increase of 'a'
Property when sub-divd and renovated is worth y + z + a
Property when sub-divd, renovated and new house built = all of the above + c.

Then you'll know which option you'll want to pursue in respect to how much time/money there is to outlay to achieve that goal.

If it were me I wouldn't be looking to do one or the other but rather buy, renovate, lease out for more rent, then in the future use the equity boost to fund a sub-div which I'd then sell to a developer, home builder.

Alternatively if there isn't enough evidence to support your decision... Don't do it.

Then you'll know which option you'll want to pursue in respect to how much time/money there is to outlay to achieve that goal.

If it were me I wouldn't be looking to do one or the other but rather buy, renovate, lease out for more rent, then in the future use the equity boost to fund a sub-div which I'd then sell to a developer, home builder.

I see your point, the only thing that the thing is since im buying a larger block , its going to be severely negatively geard,

eg asking price is now $370k, on a standard block and old crappy house might be worth $180k

ive had a chat with another agent and he thinks the subdivided block might be worth $140k or even $180k

ive had a chat with another agent and he thinks the subdivided block might be worth $140k or even $180k

and what do you think its actually worth?
what are blocks the size of the subdivide you are planning on going for?
no point doing it based on what an agent says its worth if you cant backup the facts

To me if a block is worth $100k, then you can build a cheap house for $150k, so a second house being worth $250k doesn't seem right either

if the second house is worth 250k then seems like the property is priced too high

the block might be worth 100k but the house isnt worth 150k, it cost 150k
for the house but it could be worth a bit more
so maybe 280 - 300k depending how nice the finishes, layout, colour scheme etc is?

as jake said work out the $/sqm to give a better understanding of what the house should be worth

Based on the direction of the wind, the way that the entrails have fallen and a bit of a fishing expedition. .... I would be putting up something around $290-300k.

Where's the money in the deal if you have to refurbish the old place, get a da and carry out the subdivision?

Work backwards: Selling price of both properties (complete) - % profit . Then less costs in/out. Less holding costs. Deduct cost of refurbishing and subdivision. This will give you the residual land value.

Last edited:
Based on the direction of the wind, the way that the entrails have fallen and a bit of a fishing expedition. .... I would be putting up something around $290-300k.

Where's the money in the deal if you have to refurbish the old place, get a da and carry out the subdivision?

Work backwards: Selling price of both properties (complete) - % profit . Then less costs in/out. Less holding costs. Deduct cost of refurbishing and subdivision. This will give you the residual land value.

oops, missed the new posts,

this is exactly the strategy I employ for most of my purchases

the interesting one about this one is
its in a large regional town so the $ per sqm rate doesnt quite work all the time, as once the blocks get past a certain size, the prices start to fluctuate, I could buy it for $360k, sell the land off for $150k, minus subdivision costs, but the house might require $30k just to get it back to habitable standards, but then it would only be worth about $210k because of the smaller land componet,

so essentailly, when consdeirng the house alone, ive got to spend $30k and 2 months renovating the hell out of it, however if I sold it as is, i might get $160k on it on the smaller block,

so yes $ is one thing, but the amount of time I would have to spend is another consideration too

Back