The reno I didnt want to start

Not yet, anyway. This is the worst time of year for me to start a project.
It's a building out in our backyard. We've had a friend living there for 12 years - sort of a favour exchange as much as anything.
One day it will be my shed - I have two other sheds out the back, but a bloke can never have too many sheds. It's 65sqm, so it's a decent size.
I've watched the fascia boards deteriorate, the roof gradually rust, and the caneite ceiling start to sag everywhere.
Last week our friend left for a 3 month trip to the US, so I thought I had better get stuck into that building.
First time I've ever done a reno with a time constraint. It will be interesting.

Attachments

• Garage before 1.jpg
    Garage before 1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 437
  • Garage before 3.jpg
    Garage before 3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 441
  • Garage before 2.jpg
    Garage before 2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 417
  • Garage before 4.jpg
    Garage before 4.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 382
It's not long given I like to do stuff myself - because I make it up as I go along - and this is the busy season at work. It's all hands on deck during tax season.
And I hate paying people to do stuff I can do myself and enjoy doing.
I need to put a new ceiling in, replace the roof and fascia boards, rewire it, knock up a cheap kitchen (and relocate it), reglaze the windows, level the floor at the roller door, paint the floor in epoxy, make some sort of steel sliding window/door thing and toss the roller door, move the shower out into the adjacent laundry/dunny and change all of that space.
I feel a bit tired now I've listed it all.

That's a great space. Make sure you post your progress. It has a lot of potential.

We are watching you!!!:p

It is a good space.

Depreciator, are the ceiling heights compliant for habitable use?

If not, it might pay you to make them so seeing as you are tackling roof and internal ceilings and all the other reno items.

All the best with it.

Ceiling height would be about 2800. I'll measure it tonight. My kids reckon it will be their space if our long term lodger ever vacates permanently, but I told them their stuff would get pretty dusty if my future plan to get an old timber boat in there to rebuild ever comes to fruition. I'm thinking an old 18ft half cabin clinker built putt-putt.

We are watching you!!!

Yes, creating expectations here will keep me on task.

I might put a false ceiling in and lower it and then tell everyone, 'Gee, that's a pity. It's too low for anybody to live in. Looks like it can only ever be a shed.'

It's not long given I like to do stuff myself - because I make it up as I go along - and this is the busy season at work. It's all hands on deck during tax season.
And I hate paying people to do stuff I can do myself and enjoy doing.
I need to put a new ceiling in, replace the roof and fascia boards, rewire it, knock up a cheap kitchen (and relocate it), reglaze the windows, level the floor at the roller door, paint the floor in epoxy, make some sort of steel sliding window/door thing and toss the roller door, move the shower out into the adjacent laundry/dunny and change all of that space.
I feel a bit tired now I've listed it all.

Lick o' paint, lick o' paint, coupla days (if you know your Fawlty Towers you will recognise O'Reilly's assurance that it can all be done easily :D).

That's a great space specially for building guitars. Looking forward to the reno. I hope to have a space like that in the near future.

I'd like to make a guitar. Last year I had to have my daughter's cello repaired and took it to a guy in Alexandria, I think. Small workshop with some nice tools. I thought it would be a nice way to earn a crust.

Found my first problem when I stripped the ceiling.

See the rafters? Fabulous condition after 40 or so years, but they are 5" x 2" softwood spanning 6 metres. No wonder the roof had a bit of a dip.

Attachments

• garage ceiling 1.jpg
    garage ceiling 1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 196
  • garage ceiling 2.jpg
    garage ceiling 2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 196
I am always amazed at the stuff you've got on your property. And in Marrickville, where I'd expect blocks to be small. I'm jealous, I could sooooo do with a nice shed like that.

There are a fair few decent size blocks in Marrickville - whole streets of them in some bits. Much of the housing stock is freestanding built about 100 years ago. The next suburbs in, Newtown/St Peters, are older and have much smaller blocks and more terrace houses. And bugger-all parking.
Our place is unusual, though, because it was a commercial property with residential attached. We bought it when nobody could work out what to do with it and when nobody wanted to live in Marrickville. I love my sheds.

Found my first problem when I stripped the ceiling.

See the rafters? Fabulous condition after 40 or so years, but they are 5" x 2" softwood spanning 6 metres. No wonder the roof had a bit of a dip.

Not as bad as the mess hubby had to fix. His father was too stubborn to accept hubby's advice :rolleyes: and needed to keep a roof low profile so he didn't have to alter some windows. How did he solve that problem?

He spanned probably six metres with decent sized rafters but laid them flat :eek:. I'm thinking there was a joist in the middle of the large span, because without that I reckon the whole roof would have fallen in as the timber bowed.

Years later, hubby had to fix it. Oh the folly of thinking you know everything :rolleyes:.

A big storm with some hail could have brought that down. The hail stops the water getting away and the weight of the retained water is huge.

Yep... but hubby's father wasn't ready to hear that ;).

Luckily it was over a downstairs room with a billiard table and the drainage (until hubby fixed that as well) has been little lines of mounded up dirt to direct the water from the back yard and out the semi-open walls.

Still, it could have come down and if somebody happened to be playing billiards at the time, it would have been tragic.

A real botch job.

Back