Property Investing Library

Reading books gives lots of ideas. I love reading and collecting books. Over the last couple of years, I have bought more than 40 books on property investing. 7 Steps to Wealth is the first book I read. John L Fitzgerald gave as a free gift in one of his seminars. From 0 to 130 properties in 3.5 years is the first book I bought. Now and then newbies ask what books to read and the sticky we have is 10+ years old. So I thought a list of books I have would be useful. It becomes my 500th post here at Somersoft!

This is my Property Investing Library

General
* My four year old property investor (Cam McLellan)
* How to build a multi million dollar property portfolio (Michael Yardney)
* Mastering the Australian housing market (John Lindeman)
* From 0 to 130 properties in 3.5 years (Steve McKnight)
* How to achieve property success (Margaret Lomas)
* Smart Questions Property Investors Must Ask their Solicitor (Robert Balanda)
* Property Investing for Dummies
* Ignite your Property Investment Mojo (Lenore Miller)
* A pocket guide to investing in Positive Cashflow property (Margaret Lomas)
* The investment property plan (Stephen Zamykal)
* 7 Steps to Wealth (John L Fitzgerald)
* From 0 to Financial Freedom (Steve McKnight)

Development
* Profit from Property (Philip Thomas)
* An intelligent guide to Australian property development (Ron Forlee)
* Australian Property Development (Ron Forlee)

Taxation
* Winning Property Tax Strategies (Julia Hartman, Noel Whittaker)
* Property and Taxation (Jimmy B. Prince)
* Claim It (Tyron Hyde)
* Rental Property and Taxation (Tony Compton)

Renovation
* The Renovator's Survival uide (Amanda Falconer)
* Planning your perfect home renovation (Alex May)
* The Insider's Guide to Renovating For Profit (Patrick Bright)
* The Beginner Renovator (Edward Mundie)

Property Management
* Managing your Investment Property (Rachel Barnes and Geoff Doidge)
* Simple and Successful Property Management (Leah Calnan)

Investor Stories
* Building Wealth Story by Story (Jan Somers)
* More Wealth from Residential Property (Jan Somers)
* Real Property Real People Unreal Profits (Geoff Doidge and Paul Eslick)
* The Property Millionaires Next Door

Happy reading :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Good lists,
A couple of my favorites were "How You Could Build A $10 Million Dollar Property Portfolio In 10 Years" by Peter Spann and all of Jan Somers ones.

Curious, do you reckon all of those books are still worth reading today? e.g. From 0 to 130 properties in 3.5 years

There are definitely some GREAT reads in there.

Curious, do you reckon all of those books are still worth reading today? e.g. From 0 to 130 properties in 3.5 years

I think some of them are still great reads for learning the fundamentals - especially Jan Somer's book.

Cheers

Jamie

Well, most are still worth reading today. But when it comes to general books, once you read around 5 of them, you would have read all relevant basic information. And then a forum like this is the place to sharpen the knowledge. Of course you know these Richard, just writing in case some newer newbie reads this thread :D

All McKnight books are worth reading. So are Yardney books. The latest Yardney book is on its way and I will post about it once I read it.

Last edited:
I started by borrowing books from the library, and then friends before delving in to building up my own personal library. These are the ones that stood out for me:

*Disclaimer* Some had a big impact cause they were the first ones I've read, tho the information is repeated in many other books and wouldn't have stood out if I'd started in a different order. Also everything I learnt from books is almost irrelevant compared to what I learnt from investment forums and mentors.

*** highly recommend.

Mindset/Life (This comes first IMO, get it right, the rest falls into place)
- Screw it, Let's do it (Richard Branson)
- The Travellers Gift (Andy Andrews)
- Talent is Overrated (Geoffrey Colvin)
- The Millionaire Next Door (Stanley / Danko) ***
- Be Excellent at Anything (Tony Schwartz) ***
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Stephen R Covey) ***
- The 4 Hour Work Week (Timothy Ferris)
- The Paradox of Choice (Barry Schwartz)
- Anything by Tony Robbins
- Landmark Forum/Courses (it's a course, not a book but it was really worth it) ***

These ones are not relevant to investment but had a big impact on the way I do things and view life:

- The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho, the rest is a good read, tho there's an undertone of anarchy in some of his stuff)
- Creating a New Mind (Paul Lample)
- Revelation and Social Reality (Paul Lample)
- On Dialogue (or anything by David Bohm)
- Pedagogy of the Oppressed (or anything by Paulo Friere)

Property Investment
- From 0 to 130+ Properties in 3.5 Years (McKnight)
- 20 Must Ask Questions for Every Property Investor (and anything else by Margaret Lomas) ***
- An Intelligent Guide to Australian Property Development (Forlee)
- Carly Crutchfield (some study pack)
- Commercial Real Estate Investing (Dolf De Roos)

Investment (Other)
- Rule #1 (Phil Town)
- Payback Time (Phil Town)
- The Intelligent Investor (Benjamin Graham) ***

Thanks Navid for your detailed list. I will buy some sooner or later. :p
I should read the ones I have now and on the way before buying more :D

Actually the list I gave is the books I have. Some are good ones and some are ok. In that list, I have read most of the General books but not cover to cover. I use the other books as reference material. But I have not included some books which I found useless even though I have them.

The following are some useful books I have read but do not own.
* Ordinary Millionaires (Jim Mcknight)
* 20 Must Ask Questions for Every Property Investor (Margaret Lomas)
* Investing in the Right Property NOW! (Margaret Lomas)
* Real Wealth Through Real Estate (Helen Collier-Kogtevs)
* Your Property Success with Renovation (Jane Slack-Smith)
* From 0 to 260+ Properties in 7 Years (Steve McKnight)
* Go for Your Life (Chris Gray)

I think some of them are still great reads for learning the fundamentals - especially Jan Somer's book.

Cheers

Jamie

For sure. More Wealth from Residential Property is something I only read a few months ago (I started buying first, reading later--unless Somersoft counts as reading). I've gone through maybe 30-40 books in the last 6 months and I think it's easily the best book to start with for anyone. It's still highly relevant today.

Story By Story is great too.

For sure. More Wealth from Residential Property is something I only read a few months ago (I started buying first, reading later--unless Somersoft counts as reading). I've gone through maybe 30-40 books in the last 6 months and I think it's easily the best book to start with for anyone. It's still highly relevant today.

Story By Story is great too.

"More wealth" is actually a general book. I listed it under "investor stories" because I feel that it is outdated as a general book but still a good read.

Btw almost all books I listed (except Jim McKnight book) can be bought online. I use booktopia, property books and Angus Robertson to buy books. I find online stores are cheaper than bookshops.

Yes, Rules of Property. It is listed as rules of prosperity at angus and Robertson!

I have skipped through the pages. There are repetitions. But still seems a good read.

"More wealth" is actually a general book. I listed it under "investor stories" because I feel that it is outdated as a general book but still a good read.

Btw almost all books I listed (except Jim McKnight book) can be bought online. I use booktopia, property books and Angus Robertson to buy books. I find online stores are cheaper than bookshops.

What a fantastic list Singo...I must check some of these out.
BTW I've been picking up some of these books in recent times on the kindle for about $10 which is a fraction of what is costs to buy the paperback version and you also get to download it immediately.

I do like getting books from Kindle.

Unfortunately Jan Somers' books aren't available through Kindle afaik. As the people who pay for this forum I find that a great pity.

I do like getting books from Kindle.

Unfortunately Jan Somers' books aren't available through Kindle afaik. As the people who pay for this forum I find that a great pity.

Yeah not all books are available on kindle which is a pity. I still buy the odd paperback but kindle has become the default now for me when I look for a book. I can still bookmark/highlight sections I want to read again and I find the search function very useful too.

Back