Masters or Bunnings?

Hi guys and gals,

If you were renovating in a town with both Masters and Bunnings, which one would you choose as a one-stop-shop.... or would you got elsewhere eg, speerate kitchen supplier, tile shop etc??

I'm a bit of a fan of Bunnings although I realise they're not always the cheapest - I've never set foot in a Masters store, although their website is user friendly with online ordering and free delivery in some areas. The idea of ordering everything online and being delivered on site sounds appealing to me!

Thoughts??
Allgood

There's more room to move in Masters :) The one in Canberra always seems dead compared to every bunnings store.

From memory, the kitchens in Masters seemed better than the options in Bunnings.

All in all - they're quite similar. You'll probably find yourself at both during your renos.

Cheers

Jamie

I use Bunnings for materials/tools, and separate kitchen suppliers, tile company etc. Better quality and value this way.

Bunnings are great for getting a cheap reliableish hammer, gyprock etc, but it's the little things they gouge you with.

In Perth, Masters is way cheaper than Bunnings (for a lot of things) and has a much better range. I just renoed my rental and drove to my nearest masters 5 or 6 times, even though they are half and hour away. I used a specialty kitchen co for the kitchen though and a tile warehouse for the tiles. Tiles look ok for $10 per sqm.

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 266
There is a new Masters being built near me, within a 5 minute drive of Bunnings. I'm hoping it creates a bit of competition! I shop around as some Bunnings items are exy.

Thanks everyone for the speedy replies.

Jamie, online Master's kitchens look pretty flash - no idea about pricing yet though. :(

I use Bunnings and Masters to price match against each other to get a further 10% off :)

I would not use either as a "one stop shop" I believe you can get cheaper kitchens fully installed from a proper kitchen manufacturer.

Price matching means they are pretty much the same price now.

Buy WISH Gift cards at RAC to get 5% off at Masters (and Woolies and a few others). You make up the cost of becoming an affiliate RAC member by simply buying a couple of $250 cards. Plus Masters is just so much cleaner than Bunnings.

Pricing matching works well for comparable products. I found that Masters carry a range of stock that Bunnings doesn't stock.

Agree. I go to Masters to get electrical fittings, appliances etc as they have wider range of stock. Some are cheaper at Masters, some at Bunnings. Using both is better than going to just one.

My Bunnings kitchen cost me about $1200 all up , in1997- still going strong today!

Having said that, I can't believe how expensive some little things are at Bunnings given their huge buying power.

Havn't set foot in Masters yet but soon will to check out the chicks, I mean prices.

Last edited:
In Perth, Masters is way cheaper than Bunnings (for a lot of things) and has a much better range. I just renoed my rental and drove to my nearest masters 5 or 6 times, even though they are half and hour away. I used a specialty kitchen co for the kitchen though and a tile warehouse for the tiles. Tiles look ok for $10 per sqm.

Can you give us a breakdown of how much you paid for each, looks nice!

Had a Masters open near our Bunnings in the last 12 months and must admit, the Bunnings has really dropped the ball in regards to knowledge and service.

Preferred Bunnings at first, but it's now almost as if all the experts have defected to the Masters - and at Masters they're more than happy to spend an hour helping you sort something that may only cost $20 ... whereas the Bunnings staff seem to just shrug their shoulders and point in the general direction.

Fortunately the Masters is 10mins closer.

I use both. Bunnings is much closer than Masters.

I drive the extra distance for a better choice and the bigger brand names. Plus no one is ever in there and the staff are so helpful!!!!

Chris

Can you give us a breakdown of how much you paid for each, looks nice!
I have to do a proper thread but in the meantime:
- Kitchen/stove/oven $400 from gumtree (used)
- Benches $1,000 from Proform (new)
- Tiles $10 sqm from a tile warehouse (new)
- Rangehood (blanco) $170 from gumtree (used)
- Flue cover $30) from gumtree (new)
- Sink (blanco) $50 from gumtree (new)
- wall paint free from shed (new)
- white semi-gloss oil $39.90 from Masters (new) added to the free paint for a lighter colour
- trim paint $12 (tinting only) from Bunnings.
Not all of that is in the photo but that's pretty much the kitchen done.

Mitre 10 - independently owned and operated. Support your locals.
Many Mitre 10's are now corporately owned, and it's only going to increase as Bunnings & now Masters saturate the market with hardware shops.
In W.A, Bunnings don't sell quite a bit compared to Masters. No interior lighting, appliances due to trading laws.
What i've found is that if both companies have the range, Bunnings will generally be a better product with more variety. But the Masters dabble in a few other areas that Bunnings don't, but also don't do well in the ranges that they are competing with.
In my opinion, Masters are a bigger threat/competition so the likes of Goods Guys, rather than Bunnings, especially in W.A.

Having said that, I can't believe how expensive some little things are at Bunnings given their huge buying power.
Mainly due to the fact that the majority of products they do not source themselves. So everyone wants there cut..
From manufacturer -> importer -> wholesaler -> Bunnings -> customer.
Everybody wants their 30%+.
It's quite annoying knowing this kind of stuff, and looking at the value of products in shops..

Back