Subdivision costs in Perth - why $30,000?

Hi all

Just wondering, when people talk about it costing $30K to subdivide a block into a retain and build, or other combination, what does the $30K include, is it all council fees, or other things like running power and sewerage to what will be the new block/s

Just after ball park figures here.

Hi all

Just wondering, when people talk about it costing $30K to subdivide a block into a retain and build, or other combination, what does the $30K include, is it all council fees, or other things like running power and sewerage to what will be the new block/s

Just after ball park figures here.

Servicing headworks fees (water, sewer, power), application fees, title fees etc.

On top of that, City of Canning has a guided development scheme where you have to pay around 5% of undeveloped land value as a scheme contribution.

A mate of mine got a subby for a retain and build in East Cannington... level block, $80k total subdivision costs including the Scheme Contribution. $80k would have got him to ready to build.

Servicing headworks fees (water, sewer, power), application fees, title fees etc.

On top of that, City of Canning has a guided development scheme where you have to pay around 5% of undeveloped land value as a scheme contribution.

A mate of mine got a subby for a retain and build in East Cannington... level block, $80k total subdivision costs including the Scheme Contribution. $80k would have got him to ready to build.

Hi Perthguy how do you calculate that city of canning contribution scheme amount?

had no idea about that, we are looking at subdividing in Riverton

Total land area ~ 865sqm, rear battle axe = ~330sqm (not including common area).

More than likely doing a survey strata as from talking to agents in the area they dont think the additional ~25k (estimate) of works for green title subdivsion wouldnt get the money back when we sell front property.

Thanks

Hi Perthguy how do you calculate that city of canning contribution scheme amount?

had no idea about that, we are looking at subdividing in Riverton

Total land area ~ 865sqm, rear battle axe = ~330sqm (not including common area).

More than likely doing a survey strata as from talking to agents in the area they dont think the additional ~25k (estimate) of works for green title subdivsion wouldnt get the money back when we sell front property.
As far as I know, Riverton is not in a Guided Development Scheme area but you would need to call Canning council to confirm this.

It looks to me that the guided development scheme areas are on the maps linked to on this page... the 17A - Map and the 21 - Map.

http://www.canning.wa.gov.au/T/town-planning-schemes.html

Sorry I don't know any more than that. I'm trying to figure it out myself because I'm looking at a retain and build in the Scheme 21 area and don't want any nasty surprises (like a $30k bill) when I go to subdivide!!!

As far as I know, Riverton is not in a Guided Development Scheme area but you would need to call Canning council to confirm this.

It looks to me that the guided development scheme areas are on the maps linked to on this page... the 17A - Map and the 21 - Map.

http://www.canning.wa.gov.au/T/town-planning-schemes.html

Sorry I don't know any more than that. I'm trying to figure it out myself because I'm looking at a retain and build in the Scheme 21 area and don't want any nasty surprises (like a $30k bill) when I go to subdivide!!!

Thanks for that

I will have to check. We have no choice either way to go ahead but will be good to know.

very useful, thanks. $11 for a pint? Don't drink beer, but $7 for a mini-glass of house goon in a pub is also a bit steep ... will stick to my $6 clean skin chardonnay from the local Liquorland if I want to drink.

not noisy there, only towards leach highway

wonder what they wants for it
That agency has form for being on the wrong side of ridiculous. They are the ones responsible for the $610,000 passed in, now withdrawn from market, Kew St fiasco. (although it could have been an over-keen vendor)

ah, steer clear job then. I am so sick of property today, sooo sick of it. Seems like we can borrow up to a million now, sheesh, had enough trouble spending $500K of the bank's money ... feel like chucking it all in today :(

ah, steer clear job then. I am so sick of property today, sooo sick of it. Seems like we can borrow up to a million now, sheesh, had enough trouble spending $500K of the bank's money ... feel like chucking it all in today :(

you are sick of it because of the scattergun approach. it is exhausting simply reading about it, i cant imagine what it must be like for you.

you are looking at buy and holds at a time where every uninformed buyer and his dog is. you are also doing it off re.com and not networking with agents so ultimately you are behind the 8 ball from the very start and almost guaranteed to fail. on top of this the fact that you do not yet have the knowledge/ability to do quick feasos/calcs means that by the time you do your research the property is inevitably sold. basically, what youre doing now is not working and is not likely to work in the short term.

the only 2 development site purchases in perth in the last few months that have been shared on SS that immediately stand out as good buys are those made by Marisa and Myf and neither of them have played by the same rules as others because doing so is a mugs game in the current market. Myf moved extremely quickly and with a strong offer because she knows the R Codes insides out and Marisa networked hard to find her purchase.

Waiting for things to hit re.com in the city of belmont and then trying to do some numbers, waiting for the home open etc is simply not goign to work. you need to change tactics.

if you dont intend to develop anything now id suggest avoiding properties with development potential because there is far too much competition and none of the properties ive seen posted in the last few threads even prompted me to do quick DD's because they are all overpriced.

the vast majority of people buying these properties atm are paying too much so dont even play that game, alter your search and focus on something else. alternatively, as has been suggested repeatedly, appoint a buyers agent.

how much has the market potentially moved in say brisbane in the few months since you have been looking? im guessing by more than the cost of the BA's fee.

pls note in no way am i criticising you or picking on you, just trying to offer some constructive feedback.

I'm in the same boat though and Brisbane is not an option for me because my next purchase is a PPoR and has to be in Perth (where I work).

Part of the problem is pricing, yes. I was negotiating on a duplex half in Carlisle a few weeks ago but the seller would not come down to a reasonable price, the property didn't sell after being on the market for months and has been withdrawn from sale. If you can't sell a property with future development potential in this market you are doing something wrong.

There are good deals around but they are hard to find. Someone at my work just picked up an R20, subdividable block for a single house block price because the agent was not up to date with the amendments to the R-Codes. That is smart buying, but hard to find.

I'm just in denial that it is the wrong time to buy what I want in Perth at this stage of the property cycle.

Thanks for putting things into perspective Sanj, applies to me also :(

Its definately not a buyers market.......or an a newbies for that matter.

Thanks for putting things into perspective Sanj, applies to me also :(

Its definately not a buyers market.......or an a newbies for that matter.
I reckon newbies are getting the raw end of the deal. At least I have been investing long enough to know when something is overpriced. I've also picked up tricks like the Canning development scheme costs that newer investors might not know.

Thanks Sanj, as I have stated elsewhere I am actually not ready to buy right now, but close to it. Only meeting with MB this week to get finance organised.

Do you think if I was networking with agents, and getting information I would be posting it on here. there are multiple properties I have my eye on, watching the prices come down down down, and even getting to know who the desperate vendors are. There's a whole lot more I do than what I post on this forum.

and have I actually purchased any of the dev props thus far, or even made and offer? No, I am not stupid. But thanks for looking out for me.

and have I actually purchased any of the dev props thus far, or even made and offer? No, I am not stupid. But thanks for looking out for me.

You also said you wouldn't be so stupid as to have a strategy. Interesting. I would have thought a strategy provides focus and filters the noise ...

Back