Got reading glasses today.

I've always had good eyes. But at 46 I've been noticing it's getting a bit hard to read small print up close. Was in a chemist today and tried a few reading glasses. Big difference. Got some 1.5 one's, what ever that means.

All a part of getting older I suppose. Another stage of life, like puberty, losing your virginity, getting married, having kids. From today onwards I'll have glasses when reading or on the computer.

See ya's.

So you've made a spectacle of yourself?

Possibly an optometrist could get you glasses which enable you to read better. Update your health plan now and arrange an appointment in twelve months time.

So you've made a spectacle of yourself?

Possibly an optometrist could get you glasses which enable you to read better. Update your health plan now and arrange an appointment in twelve months time.

Would they really be any better than the $20 glasses I got today. Tried all the ones from 1's to 3.5's and the 1.5's seemed the best.

See ya's.

It may be that 1.75 for instance will give you a better vision.

An optometrist may try to offer you multifocals. I can't adapt to reading with those though. I read better with no glasses but only at a specific distance away.

Your kidding . An optometrist has spent years at uni studying mathematics. How can a $3 pair from a $2 shop do the trick? :D Well suck eggs coz they work and there is no need for $200 glasses just so your local optom can drive a Merc. You even buy cheap glasses online from overseas and they post em to ya.

Would they really be any better than the $20 glasses I got today. Tried all the ones from 1's to 3.5's and the 1.5's seemed the best.

See ya's.

$20 :eek:. Must be pretty fancy chemist glasses at that price. I get mine for around $6 to $10 - from the cheap shops and chemist warehouses.

The optometrist told me the chemist ones were perfectly OK if they help me see, which is great because I prefer to buy extra prescription distance glasses instead.

I have about 4 or 5 chemist ones atm that I keep in my bag, in the kitchen, at work and presently there's a set next to me near the computer :).

I too had perfect vision until 43 -45yo.

My biggest problem is that both long and short distance has deteriorated and I find I'm always changing glasses, although have found the very narrow chemist ones to be good to peer over when someone is talking to me (mainly do this at work).

Last edited:
Same happened to me at 46.... I got a good pair from the optometrist, but they're never where I am, so I got a dozen of these at $4 each, and leave them lying around.

Same happened to me at 46.... I got a good pair from the optometrist, but they're never where I am, so I got a dozen of these at $4 each, and leave them lying around.

They're the narrow ones i was referring to.

I made the comment at work not so long ago that these glasses should be on the stationary order - average mid 40's staff, frequently misplacing their reading glasses.

OK. Didn't realise I'd need more than one pair? And I've already worked out why some glasses were really narrow? So you can look up at other things while reading? Mine are fuller, so makes that hard.

See ya's.

I saw an optometrist a couple of months ago. He advised I use an Ipad instead of Iphone for reading and install good lighting around the house. :) My hubby has been checking out the magnifying glasses for a while now. He's decided the chemist ones are better than the $2 shop ones but still hasn't ventured into buying them. :p

It was at pacific fair on the Gold Coast, so that would explain it.

See ya's.

Also have a look at a pair for night driving because that's the way it went with me when I was about 55,plus if there is a BigW in your area they have a discount section for glasses I been to several different optometrist-companies and the service factor is the best so far in BigW,they also have a 2 for one offer every now and again..imho..

We are hitting that age.

I have expensive glasses from the optometrist and a bunch of $5 drugstore glasses I buy when travelling. I lose glasses easily .....

I do notice a difference between them. Especially because each eye has a different script but the drugstore glasses don't offer that. But the difference is not so huge to warrant paying $400 .....

What I did buy recently was some Fuglies sunglasses with a bifocal script in the bottom. Awesome when outside and I have to read a chart or look at an instrument. Can't recommend them enough, and at $70 for ballistic tempered safety glass they are very durable for my lifestyle.

Now just not to lose them, but at least they float unlike my $400 pair of transition reading glasses .....

Good stuff. You can wear them low on your nose or using them as a visual pointing aid whilst engaging in lectures adn debates on somersoft :D

Costco have an optometry section now.

Costco and Specsavers put a lot onto bulkbilling. With extras insurance you won't pay a lot for basic glasses. You pay a lot though if you want extras (photo tinted, anti reflective coating, style frames etc).

If you're at a time in life when things are starting to happen then extras cover (if you already have private cover) is worth doing.

And if you are on extras cover, and have a child who will shortly turn 21, make sure they have the cover.

My daughter, who is 24, had not visited the dentist for years. She is now facing a bill of $4,500. She's not working...

Even extras cover has a maximum, depending on level of cover.

If you have private health cover, look for an optometrist who doesn't charge anything. We get two pairs per year for zero cost to us.

I have a couple of chemist pairs as back up, one in the car, one laying around.

I have prescription sunnies in the car and need to put my untinted long distance glasses in the car for night. I can drive without them, but they do make things sharper, and I'm getting to the stage I "want" to wear them for driving, more than I "need" to wear them for driving.

I have older glasses that are good for computer work but for reading I use strong ones from later, as my eyes deteriorate. I can still read a paper without glasses but at 53 I'm finding it a strain, and prefer not to read without them.

Sometimes, if I'm reading whilst the TV is on, I wear one pair on top of the other. My sons think I look stupid (and I do). I'm torn between going for graduating or bi-focal. Ageing is such a PITA but a whole lot better than the alternative.

Last edited:

Attachments

• pears.jpg
    pears.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 78
Thanks Lizzie :D. Fixed now.

I need sleep badly. Didn't get to sleep until after midnight due to wanting to throttle husband and had to be at a reno at 6.15 this morning.

Mind you, having two pears on my head would come in handy if I got peckish :D:p.

Back