What you did in 2013? What are the plans for 2014?

Coming to the dark side, Brady? :)

Always like to be one step ahead ;) had two job offers in last month from two of the other big banks which resulted in 'better' working terms with my current employer :) will be negotiating again EOFY. I can't tell you how long I will continue to have a really good working relationship with my managers, whilst I do I'll stay. Don't know how I'll go at another bank.

I missed last years thread unfortunatly - but I guess it wouldnt have said much given 2012 was a stale year.

Finally got my development site being developed after an long and arduos 4 years.
Changed jobs to allow me to work less and earn more. Sets me back on track for my 10 year plan (5 years to go).
Repaid a lot of debt and got a few monkeys off my back.
Saved $100k

Finish my development in March/April. Sell one - keep two. (tick - kept 3)
Have Westminster buy me lunch for finishing my development before she finishes hers. :p (Tick - except I bought her lunch cos Im a nice guy)
Sort out my finanical structures to allow further investments.Tick
Buy another development site before Westminster or MTR get to it before me :D Sort of a tick - couldn't beat Westminster, so joined her :D
(Help) fund my parents retirement - pending
Commence investing with the family. fail - family are snails
Purchase a long term hold IP (maybe 2 depending on the entry price). Tick
Repay more debt. Tick
Holidays - Japan, Australia, Indonesia, Nepal, Turkey/Greece sailing.... Didn't make it to Nepal, or Turkey sailing - but tick to all others, and I was in Australia 3 times. So Im saying tick!
I should target to learn a new skill - Sailing and language is high on the list but hasnt made it there yet. Maybe I should focus on these. New skill? ummm fail! but did some other unplanned things which I will share another day

That should fill the calendar :p

Blacky

You're jumping the gun DT - but Ill play along anyway.

2013. Nothing finished.
.Started a diploma in Software Development. Have almost finished five months early.
.Started a granny flat. Didn't fit in with GF legislation, so it had to go through a full DA. Almost finished
.Almost have a job. One more hurdle to be jumped- and that one is out of my control
.Tried to sell a property. The Canberra market is a bit quiet though. I've no problems about keeping it if need be though. The plan was really just to buy a different property through the super fund to make it more tax effective.

Finish everything.
All finished.

- Settle PPOR - this has been dragging. It better be soon. - all finished
- Buy IP #2 - settlement this week
- Visit HK - yep, done
- Visit one more country for holiday - probably not, going to QLD is more likely
- Start saving for a car - almost done

Great read, very motivating!

This morning I've written my goals for the remainder of 2014 on my kitchen whiteboard so I'll be reminded every day:

Sell PPOR
Buy development block
Decide school for DS (2016 but it impacts other stuff)
Hit weight goal (1/4 of the way there in 3/4 of the year, hmm)

Redoing my goals for 2014.

Seems property is quickly falling off the radar for a while whilst I get the business up and going again. Rebuilding it from scratch amongst other non-property related goals.

Submitting paperwork for 3rd granny flat and should have the second finished in 6-8 weeks.

If an opportunity for land banking comes up, I'll jump on it but seeming less and less likely for 2014 at this time.

2014 - Wish list
1. Find a suitable job! (still doing contract jobs - so somewhat a tick)
2. Improve health (Not much progress :mad: )
3. Pay more attention to kids well being (5, 3 & 1 years). (Tick - Working from home helps)
4. Do a bit more than just residential property investment. (Still in progress)

Above are not SMART goal to measure.

My wish list for 2014 was travel and more travel......

Going to Hong Kong this week, Port Douglas for summer, changed my mind about Europe, we decided to just do Italy (Sicily).

MTR:)

- Once our mini reno is done, get PPOR revalued.
- Access increased equity to pay down pesky non-deductible debt and start afresh with clean slate (no more consumer debt!).
- 11 week trip to Europe planned from late November
- Get promoted at work
- Hopefully can get some progress with recurring health issues
- Get back into reading
- Increase fitness
- Considering doing a certificate 3 online for another business idea that I have (this doesn't require approval from my current job :p)

I've done or in the process of doing first three on the list as well as increasing fitness. No promotion as I work in government so a position needs to be advertised so I can apply for it. Not much luck with health issues either. Further study may be postponed to next year. :)

- Purchasing IP #4 (settles tomorrow)
- Another good year with work performance
- Will look to again negotiate a better work contract
- Holiday in Thailand (leave next week)
- Save for development costs or to buy IP #5 if its a screaming bargin :)
- Continue to learn
- Hopefully go back2back premierships
- Start Diploma in FP, Mortgage Broking, MBA or combination.

- Settled had tenants in for 6months - issues, in process of kicking them out
- Been busiest year so far
- 8% payrise on base salary
- Enjoyed the holiday in Thailand, phuket was ok preferred Koh Samui (was with girlfriend)
- Started inital process for development in the last few weeks
- always learning
- made the finals, finished 4th (lost semi final - penatly against in golden goal)
- Haven't started any study, pretty happy with work so not as much motivation. But really should get it done incase things change.

Same ***** different bucket Brady...

Far from it. My employer is so far ahead of other banks in terms of processing time, technology etc. Plus I've built very good working relationships with the right people which assist me when required.

Parents previously worked for ANZ & Westpac (mum's last day today - retired) they're so far behind. Input & approved a full application including documents ready to sign last week in 19mins, which included completing a pricing approval. Another in 11mins.

2013:
Drastically reduced bad debts
Changed company that I work for, but doing the same thing. Appears to be a very wise move so far
Built a H&L package to be a PPOR and moved into it, furnished it etc

2014:
Sell my car by January Tick, end up selling it in late December prior
Get PPOR revalued by February (requires some stuff at PPOR to be done, which I've had a lot of trouble organizing so far because Perth tradies arent interested in working) Tick, end up happening in April 2014
Study a uni degree whilst working full time Cross, am working towards starting a business instead
Buy an IP or 2, depending how much equity i can pull from PPOR Tick, end up bagging 4 due to my broker (Corey) being a gun
Be more consistent with training & eating better Big cross. Being sans drivers license has ruined my schedule so had a cheat-year, back into it in 2015
Maybe at the end of the year I'll reward myself with travel if all of the above gets done Cross, scheduled for April 2015 though

Just found this thread. Updated in red.

Last edited:
Got big delays or?

I never bothered getting an M-V-P (minimum viable product) off the ground. On close inspection, this was because I lacked passion for it. One thing i've learnt is to never get involved in a business that you're not passionate about because that's what will get you through the tough times.

If you start a business you're not passionate about and things get rough you'll just throw in the towel because you don't care for it. Things always get rough in business.

2013. Nothing finished.
.Started a diploma in Software Development. Have almost finished five months early.
.Started a granny flat. Didn't fit in with GF legislation, so it had to go through a full DA. Almost finished
.Almost have a job. One more hurdle to be jumped- and that one is out of my control
.Tried to sell a property. The Canberra market is a bit quiet though. I've no problems about keeping it if need be though. The plan was really just to buy a different property through the super fund to make it more tax effective.

Finish everything.
All finished.

Back