Climate Change

Quote from Esel, previous page
"I have 15 close relatives and in laws (parents and siblings, steps and halves of me and my partner) 11 have degrees. But of the three that don't, one is a greenie and the other two have never indicated that they are skeptics but who knows. "

15 - 11= 4.

Ice caps and glaciers melting are a huge deal if they shrink and disappear.

IF,

IF

IF

IF

IF

IF

And don't forget; "MAY".

The sea may rise, the ice may melt, we may see catastrophic tropical storms...and so on.

How do you stand with; "the ice WILL disappear" and "WHEN the ice disappears."

And by the way; I am launching a law suit for defamation of my character because I am tarred as being undeducated because I didn't go to Uni (thank god).

By correlating university education with acceptance of man-made climate change, you are correlating scepticism of man-made climate change with a lack of university education.

Yeah maybe, I think I was more so thinking that having a degree might give you a better insight into how knowledge is constructed, and how paradigms shift. Also, of the scientific method. Also, why faith isn't like science. It's not the degree it's being taught to think critically and use statistics.

Many of the sceptics on this forum are university educated, including some of the most vocal on this thread.

That's interesting. I wonder then if age correlates with climate change skepticism. I guess political preferences have a strong correlation. Most of my friends/family are labor/greens voters too.

Additionally, university and education are also not mutually exclusive and there are plenty of very well educated souls holding no formal qualifications just as there are many poorly educated ones with several degrees.

Yep, I agree with you there.

I think it's rather insulting that you subtly (or not so subtly) just accused the sceptics on this forum of being uneducated.

I think the point of a university education is to train you to think critically. I was musing aloud that that might explain the people swallowing Andrew bolts propaganda.

Please note, I am not a man-made climate change sceptic. Lacking the relevant scientific expertise, I have no real opinions on the topic and am inclined to accept the scientific consensus. I do feel a certain disdain towards the hypocrisy of believers simply because I more often than not see a complete unwillingness on their part to take personal action in any meaningful way (it's evidently easier to lecture others on the existence of climate change than it is to forgo those overseas holidays).

I find this argument very defeatist and negative. I've been friends with a vegetarian for years and I've been with her many times when she has been asked to explain herself to people she's just met. People seem to love to try and trip her up, 'do you eat cheese, wear leather, eat eggs, wear cosmetics' ... Etc. the point is her life isn't cruelty free but she is making an effort to minimise her negative impact. Yep, banning live exports and making all meet free range would be a more effective way to reduce cruelty but why should she do nothing just because she can't write the laws.

I'm sure the people you know who accept the scientific advice do make purchasing and life style decisions that reduce their personal impact. Just because they still have an impact doesn't mean they should give up entirely. Change is happening, and the sustainable option is becoming easier and cheaper. In the meantime people can encourage the business they support and their politicians to take more action.

Just like how a global consensus dealt with the hole in the ozone layer. It started with pressure from consumers.

As for the dairy industry, I have read the same stuff but I haven't made my mind up. My husband is very anti diary but I don't think the science is conclusive enough yet to reduce my child's dairy intake.

I feel the same about GM food. I think it could do wonderful things for the worlds poorest, but I'm not sure we have enough data to be sure it's safe, and I don't like the idea of so much power being in the hands of multinationals and their shareholders. I will just have to keep following the news and listening to the scientists.

If there was as much data available on dairy or GM food as there is on CC, I'm sure the advice would be clearer, but these are relatively young areas of study.

Quote from Esel, previous page
"I have 15 close relatives and in laws (parents and siblings, steps and halves of me and my partner) 11 have degrees. But of the three that don't, one is a greenie and the other two have never indicated that they are skeptics but who knows. "

15 - 11= 4.

Yep 12/15 then.

IF,

IF

IF

IF

IF

IF

And don't forget; "MAY".

The sea may rise, the ice may melt, we may see catastrophic tropical storms...and so on.

And by the way; I am launching a law suit for defamation of my character because I am tarred as being undeducated because I didn't go to Uni (thank god).

See levels have risen and may of the worlds glaciers and ice caps have retreated.

See levels have risen and may of the worlds glaciers and ice caps have retreated.

Dude...you spelt sea incorrectly. That means you must be a commie leftist greenie hell bent on destroying global capitalism by employing unnecessary expensive carbon taxes to fight an imaginary problem based around an odourless, colourless life giving gas. And you kill kittens.

IF,

IF

IF

IF

IF

IF

And don't forget; "MAY".

How about 'the ice is disappearing'c 90% of glaciers are shrinking world wide (source; world glacier monitoring service, 2011).

Sea levels have risen. By about 20 cm since 1880 and by about 3mm a year currently. (Source: church et al 2008).

Link http://academics.eckerd.edu/instructor/hastindw/MS1410-001_FA08/handouts/2008SLRSustain.pdf

"Sea levels are currently rising at the upper limit of the projections ..... Of the IPCC".

I find this argument very defeatist and negative. I've been friends with a vegetarian for years and I've been with her many times when she has been asked to explain herself to people she's just met. People seem to love to try and trip her up, 'do you eat cheese, wear leather, eat eggs, wear cosmetics' ... Etc. the point is her life isn't cruelty free but she is making an effort to minimise her negative impact. Yep, banning live exports and making all meet free range would be a more effective way to reduce cruelty but why should she do nothing just because she can't write the laws.

I'm 30 and have been switched between vegetarianism, veganism and pescatarianism since I was 16 so I'm well versed in these conversations and I think your analogy is flawed.

I think a more appropriate analogy would be a spokesperson for PETA wearing a fur coat.

Most man-made climate change believers are not prepared to make anything other than the most token and non-life altering sacrifices. This may sound silly, but it really does take a decent amount of sacrifice to deny oneself one's favourite foods on a daily basis, especially when watching others savouring them. I've yet to meet a man-made climate change believer who denies themselves their favourite anything.

I'm sure the people you know who accept the scientific advice do make purchasing and life style decisions that reduce their personal impact. Just because they still have an impact doesn't mean they should give up entirely. Change is happening, and the sustainable option is becoming easier and cheaper. In the meantime people can encourage the business they support and their politicians to take more action.

Actually, no, they don't. Any changes they make are extremely small and require no real effort (i.e. it doesn't take but a second to put the plastic bottle in the recycling bin).

They don't deny themselves holidays, cars, renovations, nothing. In fact, for years I was personally condescended by man-made climate change believers for not driving or taking holidays (it's very unsophisticated not to go to Europe, you know?) despite the fact that I was concerned about 1. the impact on the environment and 2. peak oil.

Not to mention that many of the people who mocked my dietary choices were climate change believers. Oh, the irony! Do they not know how environmentally unfriendly meat production is?

Eventually I just gave up. We just bought our very first car, we might even take one of those overseas holidays everybody is raving about. Oh, and I eat seafood (currently a pescatarian) even though our oceans are depleting. I feel quite the hedonist. Strangely, most don't give a second thought to doing any of these things.

And please don't get me started on Greens voters who boast about how good organic produce is for the environment and how much healthier it is. There are over 7 billion people in the world and iirc the population is predicted to peak at about 11 billion. There is not enough farmable land to feed that many people organic produce. I do wonder what they imagine the solution to be.

Of course i know people who have taken different pathways but Im not aware of anyone who doesn't accept the scientific consensus, which I put down to having a young (ish), predominantly educated peer group.

I was wrong about my family. I have 15 close relatives and in laws (parents and siblings, steps and halves of me and my partner) 11 have degrees. But of the three that don't, one is a greenie and the other two have never indicated that they are skeptics but who knows.

My friends from uni have degrees, even the 15 women in my mothers group were all university educated is assume based on their careers. But i don't know their thoughts on climate change, it didnt come up. I'm mid 30s and need a degree for my job so my work friends all have the same education background as me.

My partner has friends that have different experience or qualifications other than degrees but judging from their fb posts the vocal ones are labor greens voters so I presume they believe in the greenhouse effect.

I guess i might know some climate change skeptics but they must keep pretty quiet about it. Maybe it's an age thing, anyone 35 or under would have learnt about it at school.

Quite a different story to what you said before. I'm reminded of the Einstein quote: The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Lets not get the facts in the way of a great denier anecdote.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2013/10/29/factbox-carbon-taxes-around-world

And lets call these people for what they are...deniers. If someone was to make a racist remark, we would be all over it and not allow them to peddle their rubbish. Why do the deniers believe they deserve special privileges to peddle mistruths under the guise of "opinion"?

And don't call us "believers". Do I believe that the sun will come up tomorrow? No, its a scientific fact.
Do you post this article in support of the "believers" meme that the world is taking action seriously? Lol.

Quite a different story to what you said before. I'm reminded of the Einstein quote: The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Qualifications are relevant when people are calling the scientists lazy, wrong or corrupt.

I dont have a uni degree, I will go back to my low wage menial task job of digging holes in pools of water.

Nothing wrong with having any trade but if I want climate advice, I'll ask a scientist, if I want electrical advice ill ask an electrician and if I want advice on digging holes in water I know who to come to. I don't want the climate scientist to wire my house or you to interpret 1000s of climate data sets for me. No offence intended.

Greg Hunt has presented a paper: The Coalition Government's plan to tackle climate change, reduce emissions and reduce pressure on electricity prices.

From that paper, looking at international action on reducing emissions:

The Government Green Paper is out
http://environment.gov.au/topics/cleaner-environment/clean-air/emissions-reduction-fund/green-paper.
No indication yet of what the "Mechanism" will be applied to those businesses that exceed their historical baseline emissions. Will they be punished by way of taxation or not?
What could an incentive not to do something be?

Quote Greenpaper:
"Businesses will be encouraged to decrease emissions below their historical business-as-usual levels through the Emissions Reduction Fund. In addition, a mechanism will be developed in conjunction with business stakeholders to provide incentives not to exceed historical emissions baselines. This element will safeguard the value of funds expended under the Emissions Reduction Fund and provide businesses with a stable and predictable policy landscape within which to make new investments."

or you to interpret 1000s of climate data sets for me. No offence intended.

The data sets have been carefully cherry picked.

These are the official sites used by BOM and CSIRO to correlate that it's getting hotter.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/change/index.shtml#tabs=Tracker&tracker=site-networks

Click on it! I'll show you something?

We are on Max temp datasets here. Looks like the red dots are where the info is taken from. The yellow dots are big cities, so they are not counted due to urban heat island effects. It's pretty obvious how much hotter the big cities are getting these days.

OK click on any of those red dots. You will get a chart that shows that the maximum annual temps are increasing.

Lets check a few out? Click on Gunnedah? You will get this chart. From the resource centre.

Yep. Great rising temp trend there. They'd be happy with that one. Lets put it in the official data set?

However there is another site in Gunnedah with a much longer set of info, the Gunnedah pool info. Looks like this,

It was conveniently left off the data set.

Not very far from Gunnedah is Coonabarabran. A magnificent set of temperatures. 130 years of uninterrupted temperature recordings? What a valuable set of info to use? But no, it's left off. Looks like this,

See ya's.

Reactions: weg
Lets go to another on the BOM data set. We will go to the Hunter region. Scone? Click on the red dot? Yep, do it? You will get this.

Great. Actually doesn't show as much warming as the Gunnedah one, but that will do. But other towns nearby also have data sets.

Murrurundi.

No warming here. It was left off!

Another not far away, Jerry's Plains,

Not used either!

The rainfall data sets have been cherry picked too. I could go through them and point out how they have been cherry picked. I'd imagine it's probably part of the reason why these scientists think rainfall is falling? The data sets have been cherry picked for the ones who show whats required? But when the full data is used, we get increasing rainfall.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Topcropper - would you mind summing up your point again so i can be clear what you think these graphs demonstrate.

It's pretty simple. Only certain data sets of temps have been used. Others were left off. They were cherry picked. Go and look at the links I posted.

See ya's.

if I want climate advice, I'll ask a scientist

Right.

I don't want you to interpret 1000s of climate data sets for me. No offence intended.

Right.

Topcropper - would you mind summing up your point again so i can be clear what you think these graphs demonstrate.

hahahahaha.

After all that hoo-haa, you're now asking a very switched on farmer with no qualifications to interpret climate data sets for you. Brilliant !!

Looks like the data scientists gather is ridgy didge. It's all the selective "spin" and "interpretation" and "extrapolation out 100 years" where it all goes to custard and loses all of its legitimacy.

Back