Australian share forum recommendations

Having gone long on property , I'm looking at the share market given the ASX recent under performance in global terms

The only forums I've looked at in the last years there are ones relating to amibroker which is the program I've used in the past .

In the past I've looked as aussie stock forum , reef cap and hotcrapper ....

Are there any new stock share forums worthwhile checking out .

Cliff

There's also http://www.topstocks.com.au/ ... but the ones you mention are the main ones out there.

I've not spent a lot of time on them, but from what I have seen, they all seem to be largely full of people comparing the size of their ... ahem ... trades. Very ego driven.

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

We do get a bit of share discussion on InvestEd too.

Given other comments people have made in the past about looking for a shares forum which is more property friendly, I have thought about starting another forum aimed at that audience.

Indeed, the site is already running (http://sharesq.com/), but is currently being used as a private forum for discussion of other topics :rolleyes: ... I have been planning on making a public section of the site to start building it into a regular discussion forum since there's not much left to discuss in the private area.

Would you support a new site like this Seech? Obviously we would be starting from scratch - but that means the initial members will get to have a high degree of input into how we focus the site.'

Thoughts?

There's also http://www.topstocks.com.au/ ... but the ones you mention are the main ones out there.

I've not spent a lot of time on them, but from what I have seen, they all seem to be largely full of people comparing the size of their ... ahem ... trades. Very ego driven.

=========

Would you support a new site like this Seech? Obviously we would be starting from scratch - but that means the initial members will get to have a high degree of input into how we focus the site.'

Thoughts?

I think you could easily say the same about this site to a degree.

My thoughts are this board should have a shares forum instead of lumping it into the coffee lounge because 99.4% of property investors invest in shares. But maybe you want to create a separate site so you can get the traffic there away from here and monetize it.

I think you could easily say the same about this site to a degree.

Of course you'll get that anywhere - but I think the majority of the discussion on this site is actually very useful and there's a lot of people who willingly give their time to help others.

My thoughts are this board should have a shares forum instead of lumping it into the coffee lounge because 99.4% of property investors invest in shares. But maybe you want to create a separate site so you can get the traffic there away from here and monetize it.

This has been discussed a lot of times before - Jan and Ian Somers have made it very clear that they want the Somersoft Forums to be about property only. Discussion about shares (and other non-property related topics) are tolerated in the off topic area, but are not encouraged.

Otherwise, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Agree with o0o. Have a section for shares or ' alternate investments' here. I'm too lazy to access another site :)

This has been discussed a lot of times before - Jan and Ian Somers have made it very clear that they want the Somersoft Forums to be about property only. Discussion about shares (and other non-property related topics) are tolerated in the off topic area, but are not encouraged.

Otherwise, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Perhaps they need to catch up and realize that a forum needs to offer its members other outlets for relevant discussion. I've noticed hot linking images and even animated gifs is now allowed when they used to be deleted awhile ago so this is an example of keeping up with changes to allow what internet users want.

If the Somers are adamant about having ONLY property related discussion then the coffee lounge should be deleted. Would it be ok to run a poll and ask members if they would like to see a shares forum on here? I think the results might help the Somers realize a shares forum can co-exist and even compliment a property related forum.

Perhaps they need to catch up and realize that a forum needs to offer its members other outlets for relevant discussion.

Sorry, but as I've said, this has been discussed plenty of times before. It's not going happen.

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

We do get a bit of share discussion on InvestEd too.

Given other comments people have made in the past about looking for a shares forum which is more property friendly, I have thought about starting another forum aimed at that audience.

Indeed, the site is already running (http://sharesq.com/), but is currently being used as a private forum for discussion of other topics :rolleyes: ... I have been planning on making a public section of the site to start building it into a regular discussion forum since there's not much left to discuss in the private area.

Thoughts?

And no one talks about the size of their portfolios here .....:rolleyes:

Sim , I think the best forums are set up / run by someone who is passionate about their area of interest and wants to spend all their spare time working on their baby ... Is that you with regards to shares ?

Aussie stock forums seemed to take over the mantle from stock central , but I think it took a couple of years to gain traction , and from my recollection , picked up when tech a and a couple of his friends started making it their preferred home after stock centrals demise .

Cliff

Sim , I think the best forums are set up / run by someone who is passionate about their area of interest and wants to spend all their spare time working on their baby ... Is that you with regards to shares ?

I'm not a short-term trader, but I do have an interest in shares (ETFs specifically) and move in and out of the market on a fairly macro-level, so I'm not a buy-and-hold-forever investor.

I wouldn't call it my passion - but I keep seeing requests for something different to what's already out there, so I'm just looking to see if there's a niche which needs filling.

Specifically, we have an existing community of people here who are passionate about real estate and many are also interested in shares and who have also expressed interest in discussing that topic amongst people they know are on the same wavelength they are (ie not one-eyed share investors with little or no interest in property).

If we can get a solid core of people we already know to start a new site, I think it can work well. There's certainly plenty of discussion I'd like to contribute to in that area based on the work I'm doing on Compare Funds (extending the analysis I do of funds to ETFs and perhaps even LICs).

However, if there's no real interest in starting something new (and different!), then I won't bother.

Sorry, but as I've said, this has been discussed plenty of times before. It's not going happen.

Shares forum = discussion of listed companies = potential legal minefield imo.

You don't get a "please withdraw that comment lest we sue you back to the stone ages" letter from Gotham City Council when you say that Gotham City is a breeding ground for layabouts and potheads and not the sort of place you ought to be buying IPs in.

But... make a negative / arguably defamatory comment about a company or its directors...

I guess what I am asking is, do we really want one of these?

Or maybe banner ads?

Or to have to pay to be a member?

Not to mention the Shares v Property trolls that would inevitably come along.

Stick to Property here & start a Share forum somewhere else.;)

If we can get a solid core of people we already know to start a new site, I think it can work well.
I don't know much about shares but I would join... even though I'm too lazy to remember another set of user name and passwords :)

I have a bad habit of having different passwords :confused:

I just recently passed 1,000 passwords in my password manager (1Password) ... and I pretty much don't remember any of them - they are mostly 32 character random strings.

Every single website or application I sign in to gets its own unique random password.

Great blog post by Troy Hunt (who also happens to be a member of Somersoft!): The only secure password is the one you can?t remember, explains in more detail.

Back