• No, I don't.

Votes: 26 28.3%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Does it affect your vote?

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We now live in the 21st century of supposed enlightenment.

I think it's time we accepted gay folk with open arms and allow them to be officially married and live as a recognised couple in the eyes of the law.

Please play nice.

Don't care either way. I believe gay people should be allowed to wed, whether it is called marriage or not is another question. Marriage is from the bible which is the union of a man and a woman. Perhaps, gay marriage should be called something else, while still giving them equal opportunities that married people enjoy/not enjoy.

I don't believe gay men should be allowed to adopt children. Lesbians, fine, but not men. The sexes are different, and women have a natural instinct about babies and kids that men didn't get because nature intended them not to need it.

See ya's.

The sexes are different. Yes, and completely messed up when turned gay.

Male - Female.

That pairing is the only one that can breed.

Bring on Gay marriage, the perfect population control.

Look, I really couldnt care if someone wants to sleep with a camel but I agree with the previous poster about marriage is religious.

Call it something else for legal reasons and let em get on with it.

That's my opinion and Im entitled to it.

I'm based in NZ.

Gay Marriage become legal in NZ on Monday 19 August 2013.

The sun still rose in NZ on Tuesday 20 August 2013.

And, thus far, today, on Wednesday 21 August 2013, I have not heard any reports of either a collapse of society, or legalised polygamy, or people marrying their dog (or sheep, in as it would be in NZ), or any of the other reductio ad absurdum (reducing an argument to its most absurd level) reasons that are often used by the opponents of marriage equality.

And among other reasons as to why I don't have an issue with Gay Marriage, it needs to be acknowledged that "straight" people have done a fine job of ballsing up marriage to the point where almost 50% will end in divorce. Maybe the Gays can show the rest of us how it is done? (Though invariably and inevitably their will be Gay divorces - and that day will mark another great leap forward in equality).

Last edited:
People are going to look back on this debate as I look back on the time when people were debating the ethics of keeping slaves.

In this case, however, religion and its impact on substandard minds is almost entirely to blame.

I'm happy to extend the legal definition of marriage to include same sex marriage, but I would object to extending the definition to, "Anyone can marry whomever they like."

For example I'm okay if a gay or lesbian couple wish to marry as long as they're two consenting adults. I do not support child marriage, being allowed to marry a goat or your motorcycle and I'm against polygamy.

If in allowing gay marriages a bill were proposed that could be interpreted to allow anyone to marry anyone or anything under any circumstances, I'd definitely object. If it were to simply allow a consensual adult couple to marry regardless of gender, I'm okay with it.

As for adoption topcropper, I disagree. Men can have just as stronger paternal instincts as women and there are plenty of examples of child abuse from women. If you've ever had to go through the process of adoption or even fertility treatment in this country you'd probably understand that people in these circumstances go through a very tough process which involves heavy screening and a lot of determination. Any couple getting through this process successfully are highly likely to make excellent parents regardless of gender.

It's interesting that some couples have to go through hell and back for years for the privilege of raising children, whilst there are drug addicts and others with violent criminal records who are allowed to raise children simply because they can have sex without contraception.

Overall the issue of gay marriage isn't about to go away. If the next government doesn't introduce it, then a subsequent one will. I do think there are far more important issues in choosing a government, so it has very little influence on how I vote.

ptbear said:
As for adoption topcropper, I disagree. Men can have just as stronger paternal instincts as women and there are plenty of examples of child abuse from women. If you've ever had to go through the process of adoption or even fertility treatment in this country you'd probably understand that people in these circumstances go through a very tough process which involves heavy screening and a lot of determination. Any couple getting through this process successfully are highly likely to make excellent parents regardless of gender.
+1 from me, everything and everyone needs to be judged individually, (but where to we find the time)

i think gay marriage should be recognised, there should be the same for everyone.
but no marriage, without the same hassle of divorce that everyone else has
I owe plenty to gay individuals, who were/werent out, male and female. the coming/being out didnt change them, it changed others a lot more. BUT we did get cubicle showers instead of big open ones, noice.
bloke you've known for years, depended on, owe your life, owes you his, comes out, 's ok, share a hole with him, first rule is still "Keep Your Bloody Head Down"
You meet the Trg WO2's wife, 's ok, a good woman, so's the Trg WO2
You meet others gay, and they are as big di(deleted letters ck) head as any straight person,
the exact same schema
everything and everyone needs to be judged individually, (but where do we find the time)

I think also that heterosexual is a survivability thing, breeders & all that

Last edited:
Don't care either way. I believe gay people should be allowed to wed, whether it is called marriage or not is another question. Marriage is from the bible which is the union of a man and a woman. Perhaps, gay marriage should be called something else, while still giving them equal opportunities that married people enjoy/not enjoy.

Which is the trouble we have - Australia is a secular nation by design, but the religious factions and personal religious beliefs of our political leaders are dictating policy.

Mr Abbott, other politicians etc may personally oppose same sex marriage, which is their right to do so in a personal capacity. But that personal belief should not spill into public policy... which it does in both major political parties.

Which is the trouble we have - Australia is a secular nation by design, but the religious factions and personal religious beliefs of our political leaders are dictating policy.

Mr Abbott, other politicians etc may personally oppose same sex marriage, which is their right to do so in a personal capacity. But that personal belief should not spill into public policy... which it does in both major political parties.

Is homosexuality also a "faction" and a "personal belief spilling into public policy"?

It's not so long ago that this was not an issue in the mainstream whatsoever. It's interesting that it has become a major issue. There has probably been a lot of lobbying and media attention over a long time to bring it to the fore.

I believe that whatever religious beliefs Abbott or Rudd may have, they won't be made into law unless the majority of the government and/or voters allow it.

So Abbot might not want gar marriage but he isn't the one who makes the final decision.

I believe that whatever religious beliefs Abbott or Rudd may have, they won't be made into law unless the majority of the government and/or voters allow it.

So Abbot might not want gar marriage but he isn't the one who makes the final decision.
Gar marriage- I'm not sure if marriage to a fish will ever be legal.

But Abbott has the capacity to stop the issue being legislated if he prohibits his party from having a conscience vote.

I was against it until recently. A lifelong friend is gay. No surprise there, it was obvious to me when I was 10. She comes from a close, religious family. I imagined she would never be in a relationship because of that. She is in a relationship. She has told her family and they are unaccepting. I really feel for her. I know if she had a choice to be gay or straight it would save a lot of heartache to be straight instead. I now believe they should be allowed to marry.

I don't believe gay men should be allowed to adopt children. Lesbians, fine, but not men. The sexes are different, and women have a natural instinct about babies and kids that men didn't get because nature intended them not to need it.

See ya's.

Would like to disagree. Have worked with and alongside many whose sexuality is different to mine.

As an example...
We know one gay male who is a highly qualified midwife (although not working in maternity ward), exceptional manager and a downright nice guy, who has the respect and admiration of his female peers. If you were lucky to know someone like him your thoughts would be different.

I probably have been lucky working in the diverse health arena which has allowed me to have some enlightening conversations.

On the flip side I know of some clueless females that have no natural materal instincts and aren't motivated enough to learn any.

Regards
Sheryn

Back