Depreciator are Scrappers!

And when I say that I mean they really scrap - items that is. Let me explain...

I have a property that has taught me a lot. A lot about the cost of renting properties in poor repair, a lot about the cost of laziness when choosing property managers, a lot about the value of communicating with police to ensure you are fully informed when a property you own is broken into, a lot about insurance claims and the value of perseverance. It is an old fibro bought fully furnished in regional South Australia out near Olympic Dam as a bit of a speculator - no growth yet since the announcement obviously. But the story isn't about whether it has been a good investment or not. Its about lessons learned. This property has taught me a lot.

One of the things this property has taught me is about quality people. If you doubt there are still humans around who behave like humans, if you have had too much time in nasty traffic or just been backstabbed by someone at work, read on.

I wanted to arrange a Depreciation Schedule for this property, but it is in woop woop. I contacted several companies but who wants to go to woop woop for 1 schedule?

I contacted Scott at Depreciator and explained my predicament with long annoying prose. He read my long annoying prose and He offered to complete the schedule based on my substantial body of photographic evidence (including police report from breaking after dodgy tennant did a runner...)

I had a lot going on so I took a really long time to get my substantial body of photographic evidence organised, catalogued, annotated to the point where he could make sense of it. Over 1 yr.

He didn't forget about my long annoying prose, or my plight. He provided a comprehensive schedule that given the fully furnished state at purchase included over 6k worth of deductions (including many scrapped and/or low value items) in my first year of claim.

He provided it on time.

He provided it for free.

You read it correct - FREE.

When I offered to pay him his response was "No charge - this property has given you some grief"

It would appear that I am at this moment the beneficiary of a random act of kindness. Therefore I am the beneficiary of another lesson about humans, aussies in business, somersoft dwellers and their quality and kindness. As I said this property has taught me a lot.

I am not suggesting Depreciator can get you 6k on the first year for your property.

I am not suggesting Depreciator will ever do a schedule for you for free. (nor should they have ever done for me)

I am suggesting that Scott is (in my experience) a kind man, who knows how to do his job, and how to help someone out.

Would I use them again? Yes.

I receive no benefit for this plug.

I hope Scott does.

Thanks Scott.

Matt

Another vote for Scott who has also helped me out in the past. A decent bloke who spent some time with me on the phone arranging a schedule on a place I renovated.

As a complete stranger on the other side of Aus, Scott has:
- Posted me a current API mag when he had excess issues
- Advised me about a depreciation schedule that another company prepared, failed to complete, and offered to complete for free (although I didn't accept but happy to receive his opinion and information)
- gave me advice whether it was worth having depreciation scheduled done for two older properties
Thanks for your generosity Scott and when I eventually get around to visiting Sydney with my family I'll be looking into booking your cute short stay holiday accomodation.

What a nice thread to come across on a Monday morning. Many thanks all.

Matt's job was pretty straightforward in the end. The QS didn't have to estimate building costs or anything tricky. It was mostly Assets - fixed and loose. Matt had great photos and plenty of information. I had followed his Somersoft thread on the dramas with that property and was happy to help out.

Scott

Back