loans.com.au vs State Custodians

Hi investors,

I'm looking to refinance property 1 and getting a new loan for property 2. Combined loan is approx 600k. Preference is not to cross-coll, so will be 2 loans. 80% LVR, IO, and variable rate on both.

I'm wondering if any SS folks have any opinion about loans.com.au vs statecustodians.com.au. They're on my shortlist due to 100% offset feature and low rates.

Any experience with customer service and other non-rate pros/cons?

Thank you in advance!

Hi James

Do you plan on doing any further investing? More specifically - do you plan on accessing equity in either of those properties at some point in the future?

Cheers

Jamie

Hi investors,

I'm looking to refinance property 1 and getting a new loan for property 2. Combined loan is approx 600k. Preference is not to cross-coll, so will be 2 loans. 80% LVR, IO, and variable rate on both.

I'm wondering if any SS folks have any opinion about loans.com.au vs statecustodians.com.au. They're on my shortlist due to 100% offset feature and low rates.

Any experience with customer service and other non-rate pros/cons?

Thank you in advance!

James,
I think you are best talking to a broker who can give you a more comprehensive search of possibilities which suit your requirements and purpose.

How are these guys with lending to trusts?

Any other things to watch out for? Valuations OK (do they use ValEx)?

Because they're some damn good rates!!

Good idea ... unfortunately these 2 lenders do not pay broker commission so are not offered by any brokers ...

You're correct, as a broker I'm not accredited with either lender so I'm not as familiar with either lenders products as I am with more mainstream lenders. Here's how I'd do a comparison...

Look at the product features. Do they accept things like trusts if you believe you'll need this someday? What are their policies on topups and how much cash out will they allow under various circumstances? For what it's worth I wouldn't accept either lenders offset account as genuine unless they can also offer a stand alone savings account.

For pricing it starts simple. Look at the loan amount you need, what the repayment costs are and what the ongoing costs are. This will give you an easy comparison of which one is cheaper from one day to the next. Also factor in what it costs to leave and how much difference in interest rate that means for your loan.

Then pricing gets difficult. What is the lenders track record? How long have they been around and what have their rates done over that period? What's their history of product turnover and what happened to any old products that have been discontinued?

The problem is that if any of these questions have a negative answer, you're not going to hear it from the lender. I can also assure you that in the past I've refinanced many people from online lenders (including these ones) to mainstream lenders because the online lender was no longer cost effective for that borrower.

Brokers can't get the cheapest rate, but the cheapest rate is rarely the best or even the cheapest solution.

Great reply! Thanks Peter. Good point, they may be the cheapest mob now, but who knows what that rate will do over time (which reminds me - James - check the break costs).

Aaron - can't help but sense a touch of bitterness in your responses about these mobs. Have you got a genuine story of bad customer service? Or just don't like them because they don't pay commissions to you? Please share.

Aaron - can't help but sense a touch of bitterness in your responses about these mobs?

No bitterness, for some customers rate is everything and this is where these lenders work. In fact, one of the funders behind loans.com.au (Firstmac) deals with the broker channel anyway...

Have you got a genuine story of bad customer service? Or just don't like them because they don't pay commissions to you? Please share.

I am not as self interested as one may assume. I get by fine as is. I have no idea about how these lenders work because I don't deal with them. Which is why I suggest that the one with the lowest rate is obviously the best.

Thank you for your responses. Peter great points, I'll make sure I ask them the questions.

Just to share some of the info that I already gathered from them:
  • Break/exit costs are zero save for the seemingly standard $300 discharge fees (State Custodians also charge legal fees, not sure how much)
  • loans.com.au does deal with trust loans, haven't asked State Custodians yet.
  • The offset are pretty basic: online account, debit Visa/MasterCard, limited ATM access, unlimited Eftpos, unlimited online transfers, etc.
  • I remember looking at the track record of passing interest rates, both seems to have passed all or most of the cuts fully.
  • Don't know if they use ValEx. Valuation is about 275. All third party costs are at cost.

Thank you for your responses. Peter great points, I'll make sure I ask them the questions.

Just to share some of the info that I already gathered from them:
  • Break/exit costs are zero save for the seemingly standard $300 discharge fees (State Custodians also charge legal fees, not sure how much)
  • loans.com.au does deal with trust loans, haven't asked State Custodians yet.
  • The offset are pretty basic: online account, debit Visa/MasterCard, limited ATM access, unlimited Eftpos, unlimited online transfers, etc.
  • I remember looking at the track record of passing interest rates, both seems to have passed all or most of the cuts fully.
  • Don't know if they use ValEx. Valuation is about 275. All third party costs are at cost.

* $300 is about standard for an exit fee. Also consider other costs involved in switching such as government fees, if you have to go down that path in the future.

* Trusts are important to some and not to others. You'll generally find that online lenders don't deal in trusts, I assume it's due to the complexity and risk.

* Unless the lender is a 'deposit taking institution', then it's not a true offset account, more like a redraw facility designed to look like an offset account. There is a concern that the ATO may treat this type of arrangement differently. There's been plenty of discussion/debate about this in other posts to which have involved representitives from loans.com.au. To date I don't feel the question has been answered to satisfy me that all would be well with the ATO.

* Track record isn't really about how well the passed on the rate cuts for the last 2 years, it's more about the turnover of their products over the last 5+ years. Many securetised lenders have a habit of introducing a product with a killer rate and a guarantee to pass on all rate cuts, which they do. Over time however their funding costs for that product, or that batch of money increases, so they put up the rate over time, even though they still pass on the rate cuts when they happen. MyRate is a lender with a lot of complaints on various forums where this has occurred. It's also happened to a number of other more well known lenders.

* Paying for a valuation at all is unusual these days. Quite a few lenders will charge you a 'settlement fee' of about $200, but that's about as far as it goes. Quite a few lenders advertise that they have no application fees, but they do have other third party costs which they only disclose in the fine print. Often what looks like a cheap entry cost gets expensive without you knowing it.

Unfortuantely as I mentioned previously, asking these questions directly to a lender, isn't going to get a completely honest answer if the answer doesn't make them look good. This sort of information only comes with experience and long term observation.

Hi james.patre

I'm settling on a new home loan for my PPOR on 12 Sept and intending to go with loans.com.au. Just waiting on a mate to settle with them this weekend and if it all goes smoothly and he's happy with them I'll be signing up. 4.75% is by far the lowest I've come across, the lowest my broker has come up with is 4.99% which is miles behind. For me, rate is king so I haven't looked into too many other features, if it was for a investment Id be looking into the offset account and how that is structured but it's irrelevant for me as my investment loan is with NAB.

The low rate, online cheapies have their place. They work for some and not for others.

A client I took on earlier this week has a got a loan with one - and the rate today isn't as sharp as it probably was when the loan was first taken out. It's not even very competitive compared to some of the standard rates being offered by mainstream lenders.

Their rigid processes also slow things down for us. For instance, I managed to get a loan approved for an IP purchase quicker than his online lender could process a redraw request (the funds were being used to cover the deposit).

So even though the clients in a position to exchange contracts because finance has been approved - it's being held up due to the length of time it takes to obtain his funds from the online lender.

Another client a few weeks ago needed to release some equity to cover an IP purchase - his online lender wouldn't go above an LVR of 80% so there was no option but to send the deal elsewhere.

These are only a couple of examples - and I'm sure there's plenty of good stories. All in all, they have their place - but when you start looking into multiple property ownership they do seem to have some pitfalls.

Cheers

Jamie

* Unless the lender is a 'deposit taking institution', then it's not a true offset account, more like a redraw facility designed to look like an offset account. There is a concern that the ATO may treat this type of arrangement differently. There's been plenty of discussion/debate about this in other posts to which have involved representitives from loans.com.au. To date I don't feel the question has been answered to satisfy me that all would be well with the ATO.

Now that's a very important point. I do indeed plan on using the offset account to ensure future deductibility if the house turns into an investment property, so any ATO concerns is a very good point. I'll do some digging on this.

* Paying for a valuation at all is unusual these days. Quite a few lenders will charge you a 'settlement fee' of about $200, but that's about as far as it goes. Quite a few lenders advertise that they have no application fees, but they do have other third party costs which they only disclose in the fine print. Often what looks like a cheap entry cost gets expensive without you knowing it.

Good point again. loans.com.au charges a settlement fee of $75. They say all up including that fee and 3rd party charges and valuation fee -- is estimated to be 600.

Wouldn't it be great if we could sign some SLA's with a lender on the time it takes to process loan applications, valuations, top ups, etc? With penalty fees?

Back