Asbestos

Would you purchase a home with Asbestos in it?

• Yes

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Dont Know

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Dont Care

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would you buy a IP with Asbestos in it? I already have one IP with a Asbestos roof,now i am looking at another CF+ home with Asbestos cladding,and internals.Does not seem to worry tenants who want to rent,its when it comes time to sell,Groan,Moan,Groan.

A lot of properties have it, however there is currently no requirement to do anything about it.

Businesses are required to keep an Asbestos register, which has to be updated every 5 years. So thats an audit cost every 5 years, plus remediation/removal costs if required by condition.

Still there is no active replacement program.

It makes sense that it hurts resale, as it would greatly increase the costs of any renovation's a buyer may want to do.

I'd say most of my properties have asbestos in some some form.

The latest purchase is clad in it, was an issue with the valuer on purchase as it had a few holes punched in it here and there. Then the dreaded words "unstable asbestos" pop up and valuer estimates Reno at $60k :(

Actual cost to repair the unstable asbestos....couple sheets of fibro straight over top of the wholes and a coat of paint ;)

As an IP I would purchase if asbestos was minimal like in eaves, old shed, but not if internal clad walls. I think it could get expensive in future if laws changed. When selling/renting some people discount it. As Ppor I feel the same. So - not voting. I actually get really turned off asbestos fences. I would buy a property with asbestos roof but not a fence.

Check your insurance policies.

I think you'll find there's an asbestos exclusion clause.

So, still willing to take the gamble and get sued in 15 years time for a couple of Mill?

Not me. HUGE can of worms.

Look at the ***** going down with the NBN stuff. Not good.

I wonder if there will ever be incentives to replace Cladding,Eaves,Roofs etc from the government.

That would have been a better incentive than the solar / insulation debacle.

Still, the whole issue with asbestos is not when it is in place and stable but when it get broken up and there is a risk of ariel contamination. So even in it was incentivised in the end the Government would cop it for causing all the substantially harmless asbestos that is consequently intentionally disturbed.

As I have mentioned previously the asbestos contamination is rife on any block that has a house that contains any sort of asbestos. The reason is that back when they used asbestos there was very little if any waste control management on building sites and all the cutting discards and dust etc was just left on site and generally covered with soil (if you were lucky).

Re the poll I answered yes but it is based on having no asbestos roof as this is very visible when removed and there could be no shortcuts thus expensive.

Cheers

That would have been a better incentive than the solar / insulation debacle.

Still, the whole issue with asbestos is not when it is in place and stable but when it get broken up and there is a risk of ariel contamination. So even in it was incentivised in the end the Government would cop it for causing all the substantially harmless asbestos that is consequently intentionally disturbed.

As I have mentioned previously the asbestos contamination is rife on any block that has a house that contains any sort of asbestos. The reason is that back when they used asbestos there was very little if any waste control management on building sites and all the cutting discards and dust etc was just left on site and generally covered with soil (if you were lucky).

Cheers
My friend bought an approx 1920's house on huge block. Her kids were finding heaps if broken up asbestos so she was going to pay someone to sift through backyard. I remember finding random pieces when I lived in an older area too.

The majority of properties built up to the late 1980's and even early 1990's will have some of asbestos.

And for some who have recently installed solar panels imported from China, best to ask your supply as many would also contain asbestos.

Any undertaking renovations to any property should have some education as to what to look out and ensure that you have the correct safety equipment.

I can think of a few ways this current government might react if enough fear hits the media.
Considering the new charges applied to owners of real estate such as shower heads and green audits etc etc, at the very least a $1000 yearly asbestos audit or something similar is foreseeable.

I may have just given them ideas....

As Chilli said there are loads of houses with asbestos. The only way to truly escape it is to buy a house less than 20 years old.

So that restricts your purchasing. I haven't seen it affect sales that much.

Now termites, that's different matter. I think THAT affects sale prices.

How much asbestos would you need to breathe in to have an adverse affect.

I mean, drilling one hole or two holes. Will it kill you?

What about knocking down one wall?

From what I understand it is when you constantly cut the stuff up, eg. Stand right over it and using a saw on several jobs.

How much asbestos would you need to breathe in to have an adverse affect.

I mean, drilling one hole or two holes. Will it kill you?

What about knocking down one wall?

From what I understand it is when you constantly cut the stuff up, eg. Stand right over it and using a saw on several jobs.

Maybe you should read this. http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/workplace/resources/pdfs/asbestos-home-renovators-trades-guide.pdf
My friend is pretty careless with protecting himself while cutting into asbestos but his dad has been in and out of hospital for months and just been diagnosed with asbestosis. No point thinking, 'it won't happen to me'.

Maybe you should read this. http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/workplace/resources/pdfs/asbestos-home-renovators-trades-guide.pdf
My friend is pretty careless with protecting himself while cutting into asbestos but his dad has been in and out of hospital for months and just been diagnosed with asbestosis. No point thinking, 'it won't happen to me'.

There is no "safe level" of asbestos exposure. One fibre of asbestos inhaled into the lungs can kill. Sometimes it can be aggressive or sometimes it can take years or decades. You just don't know.
There is safe ways of dealing with it. Get onto one of the asbestos courses. Many local councils and building authorities have general courses of general public and DIY renovators. Free or low cost.

HUGE can of worms.

Look at the ***** going down with the NBN stuff. Not good.

That seems to have died down virtually overnight a couple weeks ago when the Rudd factions got together for a chat.

Now it's all forgotten as it's no match for the "leadership" battle.

I thought asbestos must be handled by a lic operator only??? NSW that is...?

I just received the quote to remove and discard all Asbestos on a relatively small homes roof,air monitoring,etc etc etc etc etc $8800,will take a day.Not bad money IMHO.

Back